Old Equipment, No Contract, What to do ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 14, 2011
n/a
Long time dish customer, fleet of old VIP receivers (722, 622, and multiple 211).

Wiring for dish at the house is a bit complicated:
1000.2 EA -> DPP44#1
DPP44#1 -> 2x receivers
DPP44#1 -> DPP44#2
DPP44#2 -> 2x receivers

Receiver at shop building (same property)
1000.2 WA -> VIP211

The DPP44 setup is required because of how the house is wired and how renovations were done. I set it up myself and it has worked very well, stable, and wife approved.

Would like to get some sort of hopper/joey setup for the house, and probably a Wally for out in the shop. I have no current contract and all my hardware is owned.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get an upgrade done without spending an arm and a leg? Not against buying my own equipment or whatever.

### EDIT ####
every receiver has a gigabit+ ethernet drop, switching in the house can do mgig/2.5gig
wireless is wifi6 enterprise hardware, near gigabit speeds on existing wireless lan.

Last edited:
I upgraded from one owned 722 and 2 leased 612's to a Hopper 3 and 2 Joey 3's (all leased) for free. Dish did not want the 612's and supposedly recycled them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can see why all that owned equipment of yours has done little for you.
I hope that Matt got many years of reliable service out of those old (and great IMHO) receivers. They had a wonderful, easy to navigate, menu system, which is more than I can say for the damnable infernal TILES on my Hopper/Joey. Whoever got the "bright" idea of making everything look like my cell phone should have his head examined. :mad:

But I get your point: not much benefit to owning rather than leasing.

will reach out to Dish to see what they have to say/offer.

as for own/lease - made the choice for personal reasons.
Mostly with the VIP211 because i used to use this extensively: Nextcom R5000-HD - Wikipedia

It required me to open/tweak hardware and i didn't want to do that with leased systems.
I don't use that anymore, no need for it these days.

• Love
Reactions: TheKrell
Dish wants $149 for the wally (up-front) for my shop, $10 for each joey up-front, and I was told my monthly "device fees" would increase from $22 to $36 monthly.

I'm not going to upgrade anything.

Last edited:
Dish wants $149 for the wally (up-front) for my shop, $10 for each joey up-front, and I was told my monthly "device fees" would increase from $22 to $36 monthly.

I'm not going to upgrade anything.
My suggestion is adding the protection plan then call loyalty by telling the robot you want to cancel. Tell them your story and if their offer is too steep say so! And don't be afraid to say no. I think offers will get much better as it gets closer to the VIP equipment retirement, but you shouldn't have to wait. If I were you I would be expecting a full free upgrade with a 24-month contract.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Is that Dish price for the Wally a purchase?

SolidSignal.com has Wally's for $99.

If your current system is working - If it ain't broke...

I called to cancel. They offered $50/month discount for 12 months and said the credits would more than cover the cost of the new equipment i need and would pay the monthly bill increases.

I cancelled and moved to youtube TV. Has gone well so far, and it's far cheaper.

I called to cancel. They offered $50/month discount for 12 months and said the credits would more than cover the cost of the new equipment i need and would pay the monthly bill increases.

I cancelled and moved to youtube TV. Has gone well so far, and it's far cheaper.
$50/ month credit seems reasonable....

$50/ month credit seems reasonable...

It wasn't unreasonable.

After the first few go-arounds with customer service and being told I would spend $$ more and $$ more per month for receiver fees ---I had already looked into other options that were far cheaper and more convenient for me. By the time the $50/month credit was made, it wasn't enough to cover the newly-discovered "gap" in cost and convenience.

It was easier, faster, and cheaper for me to make a wholesale change than to stay with Dish.