PLAYER SUSPENSIONS OVERTURNED IN SAINTS BOUNTY CASE

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
The four players suspended by the NFL for their involvement in the New Orleans Saints' "bounty" program had their suspensions overturned by a collective bargaining agreement appeals panel Friday, NFL Players Association spokesman George Atallah said.

While the suspensions are vacated immediately, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell can go back and suspend the players if he proves there was an intent to injure. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said all players are eligible to play, starting with this weekend, until Goodell does so.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...verturned-on-appeal?module=HP11_breaking_news

Happy and annoyed at this. Happy because it's nice to see Saddam Goodell get a nice kick in the head back to reality, but annoyed because now the Saints are better as a result and the last thing my team (49ers) need are another NFC contender.

Interesting turn of events...and how ironic, just before the season starts. LOL! I know that Goodell can add his suspension as the article states, but the burden of proof...will be on the NFL.

wow. i didn't think goodell would be arrogant enough to hand out suspensions like this and not have a large amount of evidence supporting his actions. tisk tisk.....

Interesting turn of events...and how ironic, just before the season starts. LOL! I know that Goodell can add his suspension as the article states, but the burden of proof...will be on the NFL.

There is no burden of proof needed, this was a procedureal victory. He can just only suspend on the merits of the conduct detrimental part now. He could turn around and say the whole suspension is based on that.

This did nothing about guilt or innocence, it's a procedural victory. He can suspend for conduct detrimental portion and refer the pay-for-performance/injure (which was outright confessed to) to a special arbitrator who can (and probably will) issue even more punishment.

So congratulations Saints players, now you might be suspended once Vilma is actually able to play (might be out 6 weeks on PUP anyways) or in time for the playoffs instead of the first part of the season.

This is far, far from over, despite the chest thumping by the players today.

The NFL has gotten a do-over, only this time they can do it in a way that can't be attacked legally. This has been fumbled so many ways and they've just had the ball re-set and told 'lets try this again'

I wouldn't want to be the locked out NFL Refs right now,because you know that Goodell & the NFL is going to want to take this decision out on somebody........and prove once again that THEY(Goodell & company) are the ones who call the shots in the NFL.

I wouldn't want to be the locked out NFL Refs right now,because you know that Goodell & the NFL is going to want to take this decision out on somebody........and prove once again that THEY(Goodell & company) are the ones who call the shots in the NFL.

:confused:
What does one thing have to do with the other?

:confused:
What does one thing have to do with the other?

Roger Goodell's ego. He has to take this loss out on somebody(it's either that or "kick the dog & beat the wife"). I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell waits until the Saints are well on their way to the playoffs & then implements another suspension to keep Vilma & other players involved in Bountygate out of the playoffs. I have two opinions of Roger Goodell,he has done good things for the NFL,but I honestly believe that he is also an arrogant *male genital organ*.

Last edited:
Saints bounty scandal: Appeals decision could destroy crumbling foundation between NFL and its players
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...andal-punishment-roger-goodell-jonathan-vilma

We can probably mark this as the beginning of the end of the Roger Goodell tenure as NFL commissioner. Eventually this will all snowball with all of the other bad decisions that Goodell has made,like the NFL referees lockout & player safety,& Goodell will either end up resigning or getting fired. It may sound like a reach or an over-reaction on my part now,BUT Goodell's days are numbered.

Roger Goodell's ego. He has to take this loss out on somebody(it's either that or "kick the dog & beat the wife"). I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell waits until the Saints are well on their way to the playoffs & then implements another suspension to keep Vilma & other players involved in Bountygate out of the playoffs. I have two opinions of Roger Goodell,he has done good things for the NFL,but I honestly believe that he is also an arrogant *male genital organ*.

He didn't lose though, just has to make a clearer ruling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So now..it says if it's a matter of trying to injure players on purpose Goodell CAN rule/suspend. But if it is a matter of pay-for-performance...then the dictator supposedly has no jurisdiction....if I read correctly.

Vilma, lawyer and Goodell met for a few hours today. Vilma and Lawyer came out of the meeting sounding fairly mature and less brash for a change taking a wait and see approach.

Schefter now reporting the NFL showed them a sworn affidavit from Greg Williams that states Vilma offered $10k to anyone who could knock out Favre.

I heard that. I don't really know what to think. I wonder if Williams is just trying to get on the commish's good side.

that's the problem with this. it may or may not be true when you consider greg's current position. i will tell you that guy will never coach in the NFL again in any way,shape or form. rating out players has made that a guarantee imo.....

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced the bounty-related suspensions of two New Orleans Saints players while upholding the punishments of two others.

Linebacker Scott Fujita's three-game suspension has been reduced to one while defensive end Anthony Hargrove's eight-game penalty has been trimmed to seven games.

The suspensions of linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive end Will Smith will remain the same.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8483685/roger-goodell-upholds-suspensions-jonathan-vilma-smith

I really like Scott Fujita's response:

The 33-year-old Fujita has maintained his innocence from the start of the scandal. He particularly has taken issue with Goodell's dealings with player safety.

"For me, the issue of player health and safety is personal," Fujita said. "For the league and the Commissioner, it's about perception and liability. The Commissioner says he is disappointed in me. The truth is, I'm disappointed in him. His positions on player health and safety since a 2009 congressional hearing on concussions have been inconsistent at best. He failed to acknowledge a link between concussions and post-career brain disease, pushed for an 18-game regular season, committed to a full season of Thursday night games, has continually challenged players' rights to file workers compensation claims for on-the-job injuries, and he employed incompetent replacement officials for the start of the 2012 season. His actions or lack thereof are by the league's own definition, 'conduct detrimental.'"

"My track record on the issue of player health and safety speaks for itself. And clearly, as I just listed, the Commissioner's does too."

Scott Fujita criticizes Roger Goodell

Vilma is appealing his latest suspension, and since he is now off the PUP list, he says he will be ready to play this coming week against TB. No word yet on whether or not he will be activated...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)