Playing .mov files on XBOX360?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
It was my understanding that I could now play .mov files on the XBOX360 since the Fall update. I've yet to be able to successfully do this? The console doesn't see the files (it does see the .wmv files in the same folder). Does this have something to do with the fact that I'm streaming? Does the file have to be on the console's HDD?

Case in point, I just dl'd the 1080p Iron Man trailer from apple. I placed the file in the shared video folder on my PC (where other .wmv files are located and play fine). Yet the console doesn't see the Iron Man (.mov) file. What am I doing wrong?

You could probably play them off of a host computer using 'Connect360' by NullRiver. That is, if you're host computer is a Mac.

Its a fantastic piece of software that allows you to access your iTunes/iPhoto and movies over your network. It's worked like a charm for me for many months, turning my Xbox into a nice front-end in my main A/V system for my iTunes-based music library (that's on an old computer in my home office).
It essentially tricks the Xbox into thinking that the connected computer is a Windows Media Center system. Should convert the .movs on the fly and play back no prob--just depends on your network bandwidth/overhead. I haven't tried movies yet because my host computer is very old/slow and its just hanging around until I replace it w/ a Mini or some such...but I planned on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)