PlayOn/PlayLater Issue

EMANON

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
WA
Everything worked fine for a year. About 1 month ago I am unable to play anything PlayLater has recorded on my TV. All other movies on my PC still work great. PlayOn support suspects A Hopper update. Anyone else have this issue? PlayLater recordings still work on my PC using VLC software. 800 PlayLater Star Trek recordings can no longer be watched on my TV only on my PC.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been involved in the PC industry for almost 30 years. Rebooting was first on the list. I have tried 6 different PCs all with the same results. 3 versions of Windows and 6 versions of PlayOn. Tech support from PlayOn blames the Hopper or should I say an update to the Hopper, but can't explain why only their PlayLater recordings will not work on the TV.

Solved with a work-around

PlayOn gave up. I converted them from .mp4 files to .mpg files with a video converter. They play fine now. I have other .mp4 files not recorded with PlayLater that play fine and do not need to be converted.

PlayOn gave up. I converted them from .mp4 files to .mpg files with a video converter. They play fine now. I have other .mp4 files not recorded with PlayLater that play fine and do not need to be converted.

I have my PlayOn software set to direct serve mp4 files and just tested and noticed the same issue the hopper software just skips over the files and they won't play. I had this same exact problem happen with a Joey the other day and I shrugged it off as the Joey not working right because it happens 99% of the time when I try to use it with my Joeys. Playon/Playlater has always been flaky with my Hoppers/Joeys and never really worked without having to spend a good deal of time with it. I either use my PS3, or Logitech Revue to stream.

Edit: Strange I am able to stream some old .PLV files (Grimm season 1 recorded with PlayLater from Hulu) using my Hopper with my PlayOn media server. I wonder if PlayOn and DISH Hopper supports a different version of MP4 now? Say one is using the h.264 format and the other is using h.265 format. I also removed the direct serve tag from .mp4 still yet my Hopper will not play any .MP4 recorded with PlayLater.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)