PlayOn Video Quality

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My wife and I are trying out the PlayOn service.

I have a virtual machine I created on my Mac that runs Windows 7. I've given it 40GB of space and 1GB of RAM and it installed just fine as did the PlayOn service. I set the virtual machine to pull its own IP address.

On our PS3 in the living room I have tried streaming the PlayOn. The video quality is questionable. I've tried both wired and wireless and it doesn't quite get to HD quality and quite often is very blotchy. My ISP service is 15Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.

Can I change a setting to improve this? My wife hasn't been impressed so far....

Yeah its NOT HD quality which is the only issue I have with PlayON.

With the DISH Hopper it is nice to be able to watch movies from NETFLIX, but it stinks that the PQ is so bad becasue of Playon.

I gave up on playon, I have it installed, but stand alone boxes like the roku or apple TV with their HD and 5.1 blow it away....

PlayOn is the only software I know which lets you watch web video (Netflix, ABC, NBC, CBS, Cartoon Network, TWIT TV, ESPN 3, EPIX, HBO GO etc.) over DLNA.

If they just updated it so it would send higher quality video it would be AWESOME!

As I said its great for the kids to watch Netflix on their DISH Joey's in their bedroom and works well, just the picture quality sucks!

I was hoping PlayOn would have been better. This would have allowed us to drop our DISH programming down to either Family or Welcome Pack to help us save some on our monthly budget.

Yea the video quality isn't outstanding by any stretch.The only reason I would consider keeping it after the free trial is because of the content.Espn3,Nfl game rewind etc.

When I first got Playon/Playlater, I installed it in a virtual machine on my iMac. Not so good, although it worked.

Moved it over to my Win7 laptop and it is much better. The video is about DVD quality, but I don't get any glitches with it that way. I think that trying to run it in a virtual machine is just not the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)