Playstation 3 picture quality v. stand alone BD player

If you are using 1080p/24, there will be very little difference if any. When you start using other resolutions, that is where the chip really starts kicking in. Some say the resolution is soft at 720p on the PS3, but great at 1080p/24. Others say it is fine at 720.

My personal preference is for stand alone players. It's one of those things where you'll have to see what looks best to you.

Good Luck,

S~

I can't give you an A/B comparison as I've never had a stand-alone BD player. I got a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing BD's. I never use it for gaming.

The one benefit I've heard about the PS3 over stand-alone's is it's quick load time. My guess is that newer generation stand-alone's have narrowed that gap, but I can't tell you for sure.

I can tell you that the PS3's software is elegant, intuitive, beautiful, and blazing fast.

Although my previous statements are not a testament to image quality, I can't see how anything could look any better than my PS3. This is using a 61" DLP TV at a viewing distance of about 9'.

All things being equal in PQ... other things to consider (besides gaming) is an HDD that can store music, video, photos, etc.; stream media from your PC network; download content/media from Internet... You can even use it to rip CDs and export them to an MP3 player. Biggest drawback, no bitstreaming of HD audio formats.

Anyone have an opinion about this...?

I have two PS3s and a Samsung BDP-1400. One PS3 aqnd the Samsung are connected to 1080P sets and it is difficult to tell the difference. The other PS3 is connected to a 720P LCD and is slightly softer, but can also be the TV. I like the PS3 due to the fact that it is upgradedable (including new features) thru firmware. It is 2.0 and it plays DTS HD Master which not even the new 1500 has yet.(will be upgraded thru firmware at some point).

I saw some softness at 720p, but never got to use it at 1080p. Its a great unit because of all the other things it can do. I sold it because I only had a 720p at the time and was not happy with the softer pq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)