Playstation Vue vs Dish

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I am thinking about getting Playstation Vue to replace Dish. Playstation Vue seems to offer all the channels I want, it supports up to 5 devices at the same time and has DVR capabilities all for only $35-$45/month. I am currently paying $160 so this is a huge savings.

This seems almost too good to be true so I am wondering what I am overlooking. Thoughts?

I looked at trying to switch to the flex pack but it seems like there is always a channel missing that I want. Once I add any extra packages it gets way to expensive. Also, no matter which package I choose there is still the receiver fees for 4 TVs. I can't get my Dish bill under $100.

I have been with Dish for longer than I can remember (13-15 years). I have always been happy with their service and I feel they are doing the most to try to keep prices down as compared to Direct and Cable options. But, overall I feel the prices have reached a point where I just can't justify it anymore.

Main issue for me is I only get one live network channel on Vue CBS and quality isn't great. But if you have OTA you are set. Not my case so I have to carry another source so Dish Welcome package is my base package. If Dish wasn't over compressing channels and had true 1080i quality HD I wouldn't have Vue at all. Quality over quantity is the only way to keep this customer happy.

Like camo mentioned, if locals are important, then you might have an issue with Vue. They do offer locals in some markets, but most do not as of yet. OTA is an option, but like Vue, not all can get it.

For most everything else, Vue is great IMO (assuming you have the internet to support it). The PQ is sat comparable, and the cost is much less when fees are taken out of the equation. At least for me.

There is an adjustment, but once I got used to it, I really do not see myself going back to a traditional pay tv provider anytime soon.

Reactions: rodder
Vue can be a good option, but keep in mind the DVR recordings are kept for only 30 days. For some, this may not be an issue. On the other hand, SlingTV's DVR service is in Beta, but they claim 100Hrs. storage at no addtional charge (more than 100hrs. of storage available for addtional charge) and recordings are supposed to kept indefinately. However at launch, Disney owned channels will not be part of the SlingTV DVR service.

DirecTV Now states they will have DVR service coming, but no details on any of its options or limitations. If DirecTV Now still has its low price lock for a limited time, it represents the best value, although I would not expect this grandfathered low rate to ever include ANY additonal services EVER, but we'll have to see.

Vue still does seems the best, most like cable/sat experience, overall, best OTT MVPD, but it is also the most expensive or least in value. However, even those terms are relative to some degree. Each person will have to decide what matters most to them and pick the OTT MVPD that fits them best.

Actually I think Sling TV has officially announced that their DVR service is $5 per month and only 50 hours

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Vue is definitely the best online service at the moment. One of the best things about Vue is the access to different channels On Demand content through their own apps. Sling, not so much. The catches however:

1) Little in the way of local channels (so DVR'ing and watching could be an issue)
2) DVR is only 30 days
3) Guide and interface not nearly as simple as receiver
4) Currently no Viacom channels

My compromise was to drop to Welcome Pack, which keeps the locals alive and still gives me access to thee EHD. However, I only sub to the lowest package in PS Vue, otherwise the cost savings don't really exist then.

editted to note subbing to lowest PS Vue pack, not just Welcome Pack.

Last edited:
1) Little in the way of local channels (so DVR'ing and watching could be an issue)

In my area (Metro Detroit) we get CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC is On Demand, no CW but not a big deal since there is a free (no log in) CW app on the Roku with shows on it next day, we do get the local RSN-Fox Sports Detroit and the Big Ten Network.

2) DVR is only 30 days

If there is anything we have to save we watch it pretty quick.

3) Guide and interface not nearly as simple as receiver

I like the app look on the Rokus, not what some are looking for ( what they are used to), but easy to find the channel you wish to watch and under every app they list all the shows on that channel so easy to set what you wish to record.

4) Currently no Viacom channels

Not a big deal for us, maybe for others but we do get about every major cable channel for our package (Core Slim)-AMC, FX ( and FXX), CNN, FOX News, TBS, TNT, all the ESPN Channels, HGTV, FOOD Network, USA, SyFy, BBC America, Disneys, Discovery channels and a bunch of others we never watch.

The best thing is we only pay $34.99 a month, the biggest thing is no fees, the main reason we left Comcast is the increase of those fees, we always got by with just two STBs and the other rooms (3 more) were using the Rokus with TV Everywhere apps, but they did complain, now every room gets live TV, if I added cable boxes to those rooms I would have been paying $50 a month total in just rental fees ( plus the $7 locals and $5 RSN fees).

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
Just canceled dish for Vue myself yesterday after being with them for about 11 years. Tried the the 7 day trial out and was really impressed. One local broadcast network is live (cbs) which shows they are working on it and the rest will soon follow pretty quickly I imagine. After doing to some research it went live at the end of February so I really feel the YouTube tv announcement was part of this and going to force anyone that wants to be in the streaming game to start moving and getting all local channels included in there packages.

It has all the channels and more than I had with my dish package other than all the live locals. The interface of the Vue isn't far the best out of all the streaming services so far. The only thing that is going to take some getting used to is the lack of guide/info/recall buttons on the Apple TV Remote. The only other thing I don't like is that when I want to go back to the guide to look for other channels it stops playing your current programming. All of these will be fixed in the future so it's no big deal really. It is pretty nice though to have everything go through the Apple TV now. No more switching inputs on the AV receiver and stuff like that.

Reactions: tallfence
Just canceled dish for Vue myself yesterday after being with them for about 11 years. Tried the the 7 day trial out and was really impressed. One local broadcast network is live (cbs) which shows they are working on it and the rest will soon follow pretty quickly I imagine. After doing to some research it went live at the end of February so I really feel the YouTube tv announcement was part of this and going to force anyone that wants to be in the streaming game to start moving and getting all local channels included in there packages.

It has all the channels and more than I had with my dish package other than all the live locals. The interface of the Vue isn't far the best out of all the streaming services so far. The only thing that is going to take some getting used to is the lack of guide/info/recall buttons on the Apple TV Remote. The only other thing I don't like is that when I want to go back to the guide to look for other channels it stops playing your current programming. All of these will be fixed in the future so it's no big deal really. It is pretty nice though to have everything go through the Apple TV now. No more switching inputs on the AV receiver and stuff like that.

You need to get Firetv box. you can go back to guide without losing current program, also has recall last channel feature, pushing and holding info (3 lines button) you can recall last channel.
I'm trying my local cable Three River IPTV streaming service its $79 month top non premium package but also sends full 1080i resolution on channels broadcasting above 720p.
I cancelled Dish yesterday primarily because both VUE and Three River both look better than Dish. Dish does have a killer DVR (H3) but I but PQ above DVR importance.

The best thing is we only pay $34.99 a month, the biggest thing is no fees, the main reason we left Comcast is the increase of those fees, we always got by with just two STBs and the other rooms (3 more) were using the Rokus with TV Everywhere apps, but they did complain, now every room gets live TV, if I added cable boxes to those rooms I would have been paying $50 a month total in just rental fees ( plus the $7 locals and $5 RSN fees)
The fees are a big part of why I am looking at Playstation Vue. We have 4 TVs in the house and that adds a lot to the monthly bill.

You need to get Firetv box. you can go back to guide without losing current program, also has recall last channel feature, pushing and holding info (3 lines button) you can recall last channel.
I signed up for Vue to try the service and bought a Roku to try the device. I might get a Fire TV to test it out and compare to the Roku for a month before I decide what to buy for the other 3 TVs in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts