Please clarify the tuner information for Genie 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Southern California
I have a free upgrade due and have been trying to decide how to handle things. I need 4K available to my main TV at least...maybe the bedroom also. My equipment includes an HR54 (in living room) with a C41-100 in the master bedroom and two HR24s. Previously 4K was provided using an RVU in the living room, but I do not want to keep it that way.

I have been leaning toward the Genie 2 until I read something confusing about the amount of tuners available with the Genie 2. Can someone please clarify which statement below applies? Normally 5 HD tuners would be enough, but there could be times when more than 5 may be needed. Are the other 2 tuners dedicated to 4K or can they also be used for HD?

1. Up to 7 HD simultaneous streams including 2-4K streams (5-HD + 2-4K) or
2. Allows up to seven simultaneous video streams, two of which can be 4K streams

Thank you very much. That pretty much makes up my mind. I thought that was how it would work, but it's always nice to be sure. I have no problems with my current Genie, but what the heck if they are going to upgrade me free....

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Hmmm, I hadn't seen that yet ....
I was under the understanding that the 6th and 7th tuner was dedicated to 4k ONLY and not available otherwise.

The full tuner numbers for the Genie 2 are actually 15 total ...

7 tuners for SD or HD channel reception, or 2 for 4K and the remaining 5 for SD or HD.

4 tuners are reserved for channel bonding on the Reverse Band (whenever that begins).

And 4 tuners are as yet unassigned and inactive.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
yo will lose your hr24's
you have 9 tuners
you will go to 7
you have 2tb, and 200 timers
you will have 2tb and 100 timers

replace the rvu with a c61k and call it a day
the hs17 is not an upgrade for what you have

Reactions: seanmh72
Don't do the upgrade this is what you'll get...I'm so frickin sick of directv. The more Clients you add the slower it gets.

If the genie has 15 tuners, let us use all 15
Totally agree ...

Or at least enable the remaining 4 tuners to add to the current 7 for 11 total active if they want to keep 4 in reserve for channel bonding on the RB.

But why DIRECTV Engineers do some of the strange things they do like this is anyone's guess ...

Totally agree ...

Or at least enable the remaining 4 tuners to add to the current 7 for 11 total active if they want to keep 4 in reserve for channel bonding on the RB.

But why DIRECTV Engineers do some of the strange things they do like this is anyone's guess ...

Almost as bad as dish reserving hard drive space in the 508 model receivers for VOD that never happened.

Should give the customer the option of using all 15 and then get reduced by channel bonding.

Or better yet, let the customer opt in let us sign a disclosure on the website or something.

Only issue I could see is advertising as s 15 tuner DVR, and being able to use 13 due to channel bonding and 4K.

Also on the genie2 they need to come up with a better way to program it. Maybe an LCD screen built in?

Other than that they need to do away with this 1 Genie per account crap also

Reactions: rad
if the genie 2 has 15 tuners, advertise it as such

it has 7. thats all that is usable, and advertised

As an early HS17 tester we asked the question many times as to why the limit, never got a good answer then future use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)