Please explain......Twin or Quad???

Asdad3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I have a Dish 500, with two eyes and four cables that are hooked up to the LNBF. This set up should be a Quad correct? When I check my set up on the menu it states that I have two connections but a Twin not a Quad. Can someone please explain this one to me?

The older lnbf's had two dual lnbf's (each two outputs to two receivers/tuners) with each lnbf for each satellite slot (110 and 119). One output from each lnbf would go into an sw-21 switch in most cases so that the receiver would be able to receiver two slots.

A quad would have the switch built in along with the lnbf's built in together allowing four outputs to four receivers/tuners.

If it says DP (DishPro) on it then you know its a quad.

Could be two duals with 2 21switches. If you get the chance take the LNB off and see how many ports are on it. I can't see having 4 cables coming off a twin LNB.

I suspect that if you actually run a Check Switch, it'll correct itself. ;)

To speculate, you used to have a Twin, but then added a third box. Installer never ran a check switch. Quad and Twin are enough alike that the box is OK.

Note that for DishPro, you can tell a Twin vs. a Quad from a distance by looking at the DP logo. Black letters, no background is a Quad, Black background with white (gray) letters is a Twin.

Couldn't you tell just by knowing if there's a switch? A twin wouldn't have four outputs so it would be a quad if there is no external switch, and a dual if there are external switches. Correct?

goose61282 said:
Couldn't you tell just by knowing if there's a switch? A twin wouldn't have four outputs so it would be a quad if there is no external switch, and a dual if there are external switches. Correct?

not necessarily

I had a quad with a switch (had a second dish) :)

But if we're talking one dish, then yes you are correct

Simon and DP Logo

What Simon stated: Note that for DishPro, you can tell a Twin vs. a Quad from a distance by looking at the DP logo. Black letters, no background is a Quad, Black background with white (gray) letters is a Twin.

Looking at my DP Logo, I have a black background with white letters, so is this a twin even though I have four wires? Also, I went up to look at the dish setup and I noticed one side had 110 and the other side had 119, so with that info do I have twin with four wires?

The question isn't if it's a twin or quad. A twin only has two wires. The question is if it's dual or quad. A quad is just a twin with a built in switch. If you have a dual then the wires run from the dish into a switch (it's a little box) If it's a quad then the wires run from the dish to the receiver without going through a switch, unless it's a multiple dish setup.

Goose

I have four wires and no switch so I am assuming I have a Quad. I only have one receiver hooked up and the cable runs straight from the dish to the receiver. Soon, I will hook up another receiver to another room so I guess all I would have to do is run one of the other cables to the room. Correct?

Sorry for all the questions....big time newbie here!!!

????

You got me Goose......I moved into this house with a dish already in place with four wires coming out of the LNBF and running into the attic. Is that typical?

I guess if the person before you had more receivers. I just know they don't install more than you need. It's a waste of money I guess.

Just fyi, my installer put in a legacy quad last year before the DishPro stuff came out. It works great, have 1 lead going to a 510 and two others going to a 522. I can use the 4th lead for another receiver.

goose61282 is laying out some wrong terminology.

Let's be clear:
  • A DUAL is a single eye, 2 output, narrow housing, single satellite LNBF.
  • A TWIN has two eyes (or what may appear to be one wide one). Two output ports. Wide housing. Built-in switch. Sees 2 birds.
  • A QUAD looks exactly like a Twin except for the logo, and the extra 2 ports.
Reference: http://www.switchinfo.info/lnbs.html and of course, it can be dug out of E* docs.

Nice pic of the Twin here - maybe you were looking at the side lettering instead of the back? http://www.switchinfo.info/dishpro.html

And here's a Quad http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/images/dpQuadLNBF.jpg

And here's both on the same page:
http://www.dishdepot.com/store_accessories1.jsp

Simon

Looking at the picture, the back of it does look like I have a twin, but I know a twin would not have four cables coming out of it, or would it? Since I have four cables coming out of the LNBF then I am wondering why it would not show on my check switch.

I appreciate all the responses since I am just beginning to learn all of this terminology.... :)

He said there were 4 wires. That would mean two duals. And if that was the case they would go to a switch so that it may combine the signals, and give you two feeds. Correct?

Or it would be a quad. A twin would not have four wires...ever. At least that's my understanding. Is that correct? I'd be interested in knowing if it's not.

Maybe you better pull the lnbf and see if all 4 wires are hooked up? The previous owner could have upgraded from a twin to a quad and then downgraded when he left. :p

Are you sure there isn't a switch hiding in your attic?

I think AJ may be on to something (except for the switch part - that would show on a Check Switch screen).

The Check Switch screen don't lie, and neither does the paint. They both agree it's a Twin, so trace the wires and see what's what.