Please help a newly "moved" newbie

max_jack

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
I live in Montgomery Al. I cannot get any local HD and only NBC ota in HD. I have a 1000 dish and get 110 (signal 96), 119 (signal 109) and 120 (signal 89). I just "moved" to Atlanta to try and get the HD networks. Unfortunately, all that has happened is that my timezone has changed and I have lost my locals and can only get nbc ota.

Does this sound accurate? Is there another place that I can "move" to get the HD network channels? I'm sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but I have read several threads on this subject and quite frankly, I can't follow them. (spotbeams, etc.) Thanks!!!

The Atlanta HD local channels are at 129° transponder 4. If you are getting singal on this transponder and the folks at Dish turned on your HD "locals" in Atlanta AND you have an MPEG-4 HD (622 or 211) receiver then you should be able to see them on channels 6365-6368 in HD.

The SD channels are another story. They are on transponder 20 spotbeam 6 at 110°. This spot beam does not reach all the way across Alabama. this means that you will most likely NOT be able to see the local SD channels 8300-8310

You will NOT be able to see the Montgomery locals via Dish because you "live" in Atlanta!

See http://echostaruser.com

See ya
Tony

still confused...

I went to setup, installation, point dish and changed Sat. 120 from trans. 19 to 4. Still no local channels even though my programming shows that I have the locals. Is there enough location that I should "move" to? Also, how did you know to go to transponder 4 - is there a website that tells you this? Sorry for all the questions....

www.dishchannelchart.com is the site that tells you what channel is where

spotbeams are specific areas of the country where the locals are. It allows dish to reuse transponder space. If you are in that spotbeam, you can get the channels

The Atlanta spotbeam is pretty much Georgia so outside of that you're SOL. Yes they show on the guide but when you select them, there is no signal to get.

You certainly sound confused, as there is no 120 (the Dish 1000 does look at 129 and think you mean that location). Atlanta sd channels are on spot beam and you are outside the range of it so you would have program guide but would only see black when you go to any of those channels. I don't think the HD locals are on spotbeam and they are usually located in the 6300 channel range. You can check here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

Thanks! Is there a city where I can "move" to from Montgomery Alabama that will let me pick up the right "spotbeam" as well as the locals in hd? (Hope I asked that question correctly....)

Max, I have questions for you so I can better answer your questions...

Are you getting signal on 129° tranponder 4? Yes or no.

What model receiver do you have? (state model number)

Finally what Alabama county do you live in?

Note: Remember that the transponder you set a receiver to when doing a signal check does NOT lock the receiver to that transponder. When you select a channel or EPG the receiver goes to the satellite and transponder the channel you selected is on.

See ya
Tony

1. My "default" is 129 , transponder 19. (I went to setup and changed it to 4 and it said "locked" and I got a signal strenth of 91.). when I went back to check it, is was back to transponder 19.

2. Vip622

3. Montgomery, Al. (Montgomery County)

Believe it or not - it just worked - does it take several hours for the change in location to actually change? Regardless of how or why, I am getting the HD channels from Atlanta WOW!!! Does this mean that my ota NBC local channel is gone (gladly give it up - just curious). When I went to my ota channel, it said "error" - check switch.. This is GREAT!

there is no "default". the transponder and satellite you see when you go to the point dish screen are whatever transponder and satellite were in use when you went to the point dish screen.

so if you are watching espn when you go to the point dish screen, it'll say transponder 4, satellite 119. if you were watching the documentary channel, it would say transponder 3, satellite 110 degrees. and so forth...

it takes about 5 minutes for the new channels to show up. not sure why it took yours several hours...

you should still be able to get all available OTA channels. your 622 receiver natively supports OTA signals from an antenna.

Believe it or not - it just worked - does it take several hours for the change in location to actually change? Regardless of how or why, I am getting the HD channels from Atlanta WOW!!! Does this mean that my ota NBC local channel is gone (gladly give it up - just curious). When I went to my ota channel, it said "error" - check switch.. This is GREAT!

Dish was probally monitoring this thread and just turned them on for you :D . Just kidding.
Sometimes you have to call back as the CSR taking the change order may not make the switch as they should have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)