Please HELP...having trouble setting up a "Seek & Record" timer!!

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I thought I knew how to set up a recording like this, but I'm having some trouble. I can set up a standard 'Seek & Record' timer, but what I'd like to do is fine-tune my search, so that my timer is only recording exactly what I want. (BTW, I have a HWS).

I'll give you exactly the scenario I'm trying to do:

I'd like to set up a timer to record all Penguins hockey games in HD only. So, I click 'Search' and type in "PENGUINS". That shows me a variety of events under a few different categories (TV, Movies, Sports). If I hit the yellow button (Seek & Record), the Hopper will set timers for many things that I do not want to record. So, I figured that I could fine-tune my search. I hit the red button (Filters) and I begin to narrow down my criteria (Content Type: Sports, Genre: Hockey, Resolution: HD).

Perfect, it has now narrowed down the events to just the Penguins hockey games upcoming on any channel, which is exactly what I want. Problem is, I see no way to 'Seek & Record' these events. There are no options, except for hitting the red button (Filters) again, which is not what I need. So, I figured I must need to exit out of this 'Filters' menu and back to the 'Search' results to set the timers. Only now, by hitting 'Cancel' to exit back to the 'Search' results, it loses all of the criteria I set up in the 'Filters' menu. I can now set up a 'Seek & Record' timer but again, it has no criteria established and it will scoop up all of the events, including many that I do not want, including "March of the Penguins" and "3-2-1 Penguins!"

Am I missing something here? I could've sworn that it was, in fact, possible to set up a 'Seek & Record' timer with specific parameters. Any help on this would be appreciated!!! Maybe even a DIRT member could throw their 2 cents in on this!!

I set up something similar, but what I did was set up 2 timers...an info search on "Penguins at" and another one that had an info search for "at penguins". That filtered out the other titles that didn't have to do with hockey. Then I set the options for HD only and new episodes.

I set up something similar, but what I did was set up 2 timers...an info search on "Penguins at" and another one that had an info search for "at penguins". That filtered out the other titles that didn't have to do with hockey. Then I set the options for HD only and new episodes.

Very nice solution! I just set it up and it worked perfectly! But do you agree that searching for a word or phrase and then using the filters to narrow it down should allow you to set a very specifically tailored 'Seek & record' timer? Seems strange that it doesn't work that way.

Well, I don't have a Hopper, so I don't know about filters and how they would work on a Seek and Record timer. Someone else will have to chime in.

I've had similar challenges as I like SEEK & RECORD, as well. I can't remember exactly the workaround, but I think I highlighted or entered the particular thumbnail that was what I was looking for and SEEK & RECORD was active to select, but on 1 or 2 I've tried, the green SEEK & RECORD was NOT active for selection, so it was a SOMETIMES deal. I'm glad you have found the search that works for you, and that was the OTHER work around, to just enter the text that you want and then select SEEK & RECORD.

However, I agree that it should be far more intuitive to set-up SEEK & RECORDS for the "custom" desires, and yours was a GREAT example. Ironically that was a far more simple task with the older ViP DVR's because it was all about the TEXT and no complex time waiting for the thumbnails to load and dealing with the INCONSISTENCY of the SEEK & RECORD button being active for selection when you selected the thumbnail you want. It would be nice if dish refined this as SEEK & RECORD can be a great feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)