Please Help! How can I record a show and watch another at the same time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DragonSoul

Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I am very new with Tivo, and I have no idea about the technical terminology used here. So if there is a way to do so please let me know what i need to get, where i can get it, how much it will cost, and if i may be able to do it on my own. I appreciate the help.

the model number is Sd-DVR40, i dont know if you need this info to help me but figured you might. the software version is 3.1.1c-01-2-351

Thanks

I take it you all ready have your Sd-DVR40 hooked up if you can get the software version. You need two sat feeds running into the receiver. Then do what mad professor suggested.

jake14mw said:
You also have to "enable" the dual tuner feature through the setup menu. Hitting the down arrow on the remote will also switch tuners.
can you tell me how too enable the dual tuner feature ?

Thanks

You will need to go through the setup procedure again. You will need to know that type of dish/lnb you have (not the specific model, just what it looks like) and you need to have 2 inputs to your DTiVo. Press the TiVo button on the remote (top center of the remote). When the menu pops up on the TV screen, using the SELECT button on the remote, select "READ NEW MESSAGES & SETUP." In the next menu select "RECORDER & PHONE SETUP." Now select "SATELLITE DISH SETUP" and then "REPEAT SATELLITE DISH SETUP."

Take you time, read the instructions as you go through the screens (they're simple), and you will own it!

Thanks for all your help. Its appreciated, here is whats going on now.

I got a multiswitch called Trek. I plugged in my Sat cable into the 18v plug, then took the first two slots for the recievers and put the cords into those two slots then plugged those cords into Both Sat 1 and 2 plugs.

So i go through the set-up and all goes well, then i finally get into Live TV and i change one channel np, then i switch to the other sat feed say channel 2, and then all of a sudden im getting a Searching for singal on Sat 2. Then i re-do the set up and again it happens but this time on Sat 1, then on Sat 1 again after i redo it. It happened when i tried to record from Sat 1 one time, then tried to record from Sat 2 one time, then tried to record from Sat 1 and 2 another time, and even when i didnt even try to record. So i dont know what i am doing wrong, or what i am missing. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks Again i appreciate all the help.

I would "TEST OR RE-TEST" my satellite connection. This screen will show if you are receiving a signal from both satellite inputs. Do this and let us know what the numbers are for each input (FYI, I am getting 100 on both inputs). The next thing I would check is the connectors on the cables. Make sure that they are tight and in good shape. Finally, how long is the cable from the dish to the TiVo? Is it RG6 cable?

I noticed that the software that you posted is NOT the software version that seems to be giving problems so I would guess that it is a physical connection issue (simplest solution). If not, you may be having equipment failure. Good luck.

I was getting 100 on Sat 1 & 99 on Sat 2. all the cables seem to be tight. I used them before. I re-did the set up again, I switched from sat 1 to sat 2 & when i changed the channel on sat 2 the screen went black & told me to go to trouble shooting for sat 2 again.

Edit :Update

For some reason it seems both Sats work but the problem is many of my channels are not working and thats why im getting the Sat error pop up. My local channels are not working, premium channels are not work, 360 works, 212, 269. So i dont understand why some channels are working while others are not, I am even recording channel 212 and 269 at the same time, but thats because both channels are working apparently. So any idea why i cannot get the channels that worked on on Sat now to work for both at the same time?

Thanks.

Just as a guess, I don't think your transponders are doing the odd to even shift (or vice versa). You say that your connections and cables are tight and you used them before -- used them how? For another satellite receiver? Are these old cables run in a new location?
Check out DVR Troubleshooting Guide and see if it helps.

beejaycee said:
Just as a guess, I don't think your transponders are doing the odd to even shift (or vice versa). You say that your connections and cables are tight and you used them before -- used them how? For another satellite receiver? Are these old cables run in a new location?
Check out DVR Troubleshooting Guide and see if it helps.

What do you mean odd to even shift? Seems both of them use the same transponder. I go throught the setup and both go on say 19 transponder.

Goto Satellite Dish Technical Help and then scroll down to the section titled "Loss of Channels from LNB Polarity Problem" for a better explanation than I can give on odd/even, left/right, 13v/18v, etc.

FWIW, I once solved a problem that I was having by going up to the dish, unscrewing the connectors, swapping them, and screwing them back in. I'm guessing that a sloppy install had not tightened the connectors sufficiently (or they had loosened on their own over time).

I got a multiswitch called Trek. I plugged in my Sat cable into the 18v plug, then took the first two slots for the recievers and put the cords into those two slots then plugged those cords into Both Sat 1 and 2 plugs.

Do you have a 1 lnb dish with 1 output going into a multiswitch? If so you need a dual output lnb to work with that multiswitch. It sounds like you only have 1 tv and all you need is a dual lnb.

geneb11 said:
Do you have a 1 lnb dish with 1 output going into a multiswitch? If so you need a dual output lnb to work with that multiswitch. It sounds like you only have 1 tv and all you need is a dual lnb.

Ok let me see if i got this right.

I have 1 sat dish, the one with 1 arm (round dish). I have two tvs. One connection is going to my Living room tv. The second line is going to my bedroom tv. My bedroom TV is the one with Tivo, in the back it has a dual LND. Sat 1 in and Sat 2 in and thats where im trying to get this to work.

Not sure if thats what you are talking about.

beejaycee said:
Goto Satellite Dish Technical Help and then scroll down to the section titled "Loss of Channels from LNB Polarity Problem" for a better explanation than I can give on odd/even, left/right, 13v/18v, etc.

FWIW, I once solved a problem that I was having by going up to the dish, unscrewing the connectors, swapping them, and screwing them back in. I'm guessing that a sloppy install had not tightened the connectors sufficiently (or they had loosened on their own over time).

Man im scared to open up my Dish since it was put in by a Tech. I will look at that Site that you posted to see if its something i have done. If not i might call Hughs or Directv to help me figure it out if i cannot through your text, unless someone posts the answer i need before i cant figure it out on my own.

Again thanks for all your help, and everyone else. I appreciate all your time.

DragonSoul said:
I have 1 sat dish, the one with 1 arm (round dish). I have two tvs. One connection is going to my Living room tv. The second line is going to my bedroom tv. My bedroom TV is the one with Tivo, in the back it has a dual LND. Sat 1 in and Sat 2 in and thats where im trying to get this to work.
So, you only have one cable going from the dish to the the Tivo? There needs to be 2 cables from the dish to the Tivo for it to work properly. Each tuner needs its own line.

Ok there are 4 type's dish's. The original 18" round with either a single output or a dual output. The 24" oval with a dual lnb and access for a 3rd lnb. The 20" 3 lnb (which is the most used now) and new 34" which I've just heard about.

You say you have the round dish. All dish's have one arm,but at the end of the arm is the lnb(The round plastic piece that points back to the dish).Your sat cables connect to this.Each lnb looks at a different satellite.The round dish only has one Lnb. You say you have a multiswitch.You will need a dual output lnb to work with that if you don't have one already. The 2 lnb output cables go into one side of the multiswitch(This switch might have an OTA(Over The Air)input in the center of the 2 LNB inputs).You connect your receivers to any of 4 on the other side. If this is a 3x4 multiswitch.

directvvoltagediagram.gif

In this pic above there is 4 outputs on the right to go to 4 tuners.

18x20.2x4switch.gif

This dish here is a 3 lnb dish with a builtin multiswitch going into another (cascadable)multiswitch.

4 questions:

1) What kind of dish?
2) Is it a dual output lnb and do you have both lnb A and lnb B plugged into the multiswitch in the right slot's?(13v/18v)
3) What model is the Terk multiswitch?
4) Do you have 2 cables going to your Tivo?

Is this the kind of switch you have?

Lnb input-A, OTA input,Lnb input-B

BMS34frontview.jpg

Sat Receiver 1, Tivo sat in-1,Tivo sat in-2,Extra receiver output

Here is a good diagram for the Terk with diplexors for OTA hookup:

Terk 3x4 pdf diagram

Here is the back view. If you only have 1 lnb cable hooked up you will only get half the transponders or half the channels. On this pic you can see each side is designated 13v or 18v.

BMS34backview.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)