Please help me align dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scott halverson

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Hi everyone,

I am building a new deck on my house, so I had to move my oval 3 lnb DTV dish about 2 feet west and 1 foot south of where it was. I previously had no problems.

To the best of my knowledge, the dish is level and plumb. Azimuth is 210, elevation is 36, and tilt is 70.

Here is what I'm getting now:

sat 101, most even transponders, but now odd.

sat 119, most even but no odds also.

sat 110, I get numbers 8, and 10, but no 12.

I subscribe to total choice plus, with Madison, WI locals. I also receive the east/west networks, HBO, and the HD package.

Does anyone have any ideas where my dish should be tweaked? I thought I would ask you guys before I call Direct.

Thanks,
Scott

Once you moved it, you more than likely invalidated the Azimuth heading. If you are 110% sure the mast is plumb and level, that is where I would start, as the skew and elevation should still be correct. Do you have a $10 heading compass (aka map compass) to show you where 210° is? If not, I got mine in the Wal-Mart hunting section.

Attachments

• mapcompass1.jpg
    mapcompass1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll recheck the azimuth. do you think that's the reason I'm not getting the odd transponders?

Could be a few things;

What are your signal levels on each satellite?

Is there any other switch in the cable run other than what is built into the dish?

Are you sure there are no damaged cables or their connecting ends?

While the cables were disconnected were you sure not to allow water/moisture to get onto the ends?

My signals are in the high 80,s to low 90,s range. I do have a Trunkline 4x8 multiswitch mounted in my basement. The connectors should be okay. I didn't even have to disconnect them. I just moved the dish with the four cables connected.

Thanks again

Well then; no cable issues, signals a tad low but workable. I would reboot then rerun your receiver's initial setup like it was brand new and see if the issue clears; if not, I am thinking LNB issue maybe?

Charper1,

Thanks for all your help. I pulled the lnb off, and one wouldn't you know, one of the cables were loose. I put a new end on, and everything works great.

Again thanks for your troubleshooting suggestions!

Scott

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)