Please help me fix a year long issue (acquiring satellite signal)

Young C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Good morning everybody,

I've been having this problem for a couple years. I finally can't take it anymore :rant:

Could you please help me resolve this issue? It should only be the on-screen menu choices?

Background of my setup.
3 HDTVs in the house.

1) Master HDTV is in my bedroom, CRT HD-Ready RPTV with a ViP622 HD-DVR
2) Living room has a LCD HDTV with a ViP622 HD-DVR with supplying a source to the master bedroom TV
3) Master bedroom HDTV with supplied DVR from the Living room ViP622 HD-DVR. (The source to this TV is in the living room, ViP622

I live in Houston, Texas. What should my Dish System, Tuner Input, Transponder, and Satellite be? I have a feeling these are set to the wrong selections and are causing me issues.

The main issue at hand, Acquiring Satellite Signal happens in the living room and it's '2nd source' TV in the master bedroom.

I took a couple screen shots this morning and last night.
I noticed the satellites changed from night to morning. :confused:
These images are of the master HDTV in my bedroom, which doesn't have a problem. I will take photos of the living room and master bedroom TVs this afternoon.

dbserror1.jpg

dbserror2.jpg

Are satelites supposed to change over night? Last night I was at 110 and now I'm at 129. :confused:
How does everything else look above? Anything you take notice to that I should change?

What I don't understand is if my TV is working perfectly in my bedroom, why does the living room TV get the acquiring satellite signal error message?
Shouldn't they be linked to the same source and stuff?
I'm at work, so I can not trouble shoot instantly. When I get off of work I can trouble shoot and take more photos if you guys need me to.

Is it hardware installation? The RG6 'splitter' outside isn't screwed into anything. It's just dangeling.
This item
gizzmo400.jpg

Please help me. My bill went up $10 this past month, I don't want to deal with these DBS issues anymore :(

Sorry for my poor Engish and Grammar.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what satellite or transponder shows up on the point dish screen. Those numbers will change to correspond with the last channel you were on. (Each channel comes in on a certain satellite and transponder number.) That "splitter" outside is most likely a diplexer which is completely different than a splitter.

It is very possible you have a hardware issue, it might be a good idea to have Dish send out a technician.

The channrl you are watching determines what satellite the receiver is getting it's signal from. Iy is correct for the satellite to change.

Don't worry about which satellite / transponder number is there when you first access that menu. There are 3 satellites that your system uses, (110, 119 and 129). Which ever one was last used will show up on that screen. The arrows on the top and bottom of the numbers will let you select which satellite and transponder will be checked.

Does the acquiring satellite signal message happen at a certain time, every day?

Since you have the problem with only one receiver, the problem is going to be either in your receiver, your cabling from the dish to that receiver, or a problem in the switch which is built into the dish. (I'm assuming you have a single dish 1000.2 here.) It could also be your receiver has it's daily update occurring just before you turn it on. It's set by default to 3:00 AM but can be changed to any time. Could also be a grounding issue.

The name not acquired problem suggests that you're dish may be damaged and it is not seeing the 129W slot and instead is seeing some other non-DISH satellite. Do you have one dish or two?

If there is a splitter such as the one you pictured connected anywhere in the system, that's likely what the problem is. Splitters cannot be used on the satellite lines.

the actual problem is unrelated to the satellite signal. more then likely you have an OTA channel on TV2 that is popping in and out. There is a known issue where you will see screen 015 even though the satellite signal is actually fine. Easiest way to tell is to hit the guide button and then the cancel button. if this immieatly fixes the issue, I am correct.

To stop it from happening all you need to do is press the swap button, select a satellite channel and then press swap again.

It doesn't matter what satellite or transponder shows up on the point dish screen. Those numbers will change to correspond with the last channel you were on. (Each channel comes in on a certain satellite and transponder number.) That "splitter" outside is most likely a diplexer which is completely different than a splitter.
It is very possible you have a hardware issue, it might be a good idea to have Dish send out a technician.

Gotcha. Yeah, I think it's a diplexer.

Re: service technician.

Even with my $6/month fee, Dish will still charge me $50-ish for them to come out. Economy is treating me bad, and I refuse to them $50 for 10 minutes of a tech. service to come out. It's their equipment and cables that is messed up, why do I have to pay? If NASA's computer breaks, do I have to pay for it? :p

Don't worry about which satellite / transponder number is there when you first access that menu. There are 3 satellites that your system uses, (110, 119 and 129). Which ever one was last used will show up on that screen. The arrows on the top and bottom of the numbers will let you select which satellite and transponder will be checked.

Does the acquiring satellite signal message happen at a certain time, every day?

Since you have the problem with only one receiver, the problem is going to be either in your receiver, your cabling from the dish to that receiver, or a problem in the switch which is built into the dish. (I'm assuming you have a single dish 1000.2 here.) It could also be your receiver has it's daily update occurring just before you turn it on. It's set by default to 3:00 AM but can be changed to any time. Could also be a grounding issue.

Nope, the message happens at random times.
I'm guessing it's the cabling from the dish to the receiver. When ever I move and fiddle with the diplexer I get an approved message and the TV works fine.
Example, I can move the diplexer 1 inch to the right and get an acquiring satellite signal message. If I move the diplexer 4 inches to the left, the DVR finds the satellite and everything is OK. Problem is, the diplexer always moves (It's not screwed into anything.)

I have screwed in the diplexer more than once and it works for about a week and then goes bad again. Right now, it's just dangling because I couldn't find a good spot to where it would gain a signal.

The name not acquired problem suggests that you're dish may be damaged and it is not seeing the 129W slot and instead is seeing some other non-DISH satellite. Do you have one dish or two?

If there is a splitter such as the one you pictured connected anywhere in the system, that's likely what the problem is. Splitters cannot be used on the satellite lines.

My dish could be damaged? That's scary. I can't afford Dish's repair prices anymore :(
It's not a splitter, it just resembles one. It's a diplexer.

the actual problem is unrelated to the satellite signal. more then likely you have an OTA channel on TV2 that is popping in and out. There is a known issue where you will see screen 015 even though the satellite signal is actually fine. Easiest way to tell is to hit the guide button and then the cancel button. if this immieatly fixes the issue, I am correct.

To stop it from happening all you need to do is press the swap button, select a satellite channel and then press swap again.

This could be a bingo for my Bedroom TV. This happens a lot.
Although, this is not what I am complaining about. I can fix this by pressing guide.

I get the "hit the guide button and then the cancel button. if this immieatly fixes the issue" a lot
I don't understand that. Why does hitting the guide button fix that problem. Drives me crazy :(

Thanks for your post, I'll look into that when I get home :up

Any more help? I can take any type of pictures by request.
I'm still thinking it's the dangling and loose diplexer.

With the $6/month maintenance plan a truck roll is supposed to be $15. You need to check that out.

Ha. I was quoted way more than $15.
Silly CSR's :p

Edit: When I get home I can post more detailed information. Error codes, etc.

Young C said:
Ha. I was quoted way more than $15.
Silly CSR's :p

Edit: When I get home I can post more detailed information. Error codes, etc.

Honestly sounds like loose fitting some where.

If only the 2 locations that operate off one reciever are having an issue, it surely can not be the dish, otherwise all your locations would be having the issue.

Replace the dyplexer and see if that solves the issue if you dont want to pay the service call fee.

Honestly sounds like loose fitting some where.

If only the 2 locations that operate off one reciever are having an issue, it surely can not be the dish, otherwise all your locations would be having the issue.

Replace the dyplexer and see if that solves the issue if you dont want to pay the service call fee.

Right, only the 2 locations are having the issue and not the 3rd.

Gotcha, I'll look into getting a dyplexer. Any ideas on where I can pick one up? Home Depot or Radio Shack perhaps?

Gotcha, thanks.

I wish this was the main issue and source. I could try this first, see if it fixes the issue but I doubt it.

since your problem is on only one receiver, i would bet good money that it's the fix.

I sure hope so.

:paypals pabeader $5.00 if it works: :p

Yeah, I went on Radioshack's website and they're charging $20.00 for the unit! 80% of the reviews were negative. They said the piece is actually close to $1.50 in the retail market and their 200% upgrade is 'Radio crap'

We'll see, 5:00 is almost here.
More updates to follow.

Sorry, I only have one dish.

* Interesting. I did what pabeader told me to do, and it's working.
Both of the problematic TV's have been running since 5:30 PM and it's now 11:30 PM. Not one problem.
Maybe it's just a fluke? Good weather or just luck? I'm sure it's going to happen tomorrow, or the next day?

Thanks for all the help everybody. :up
Cheers!
emotionbeer.gif

haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts