Please help me select equipment

rolltide90

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
My heart is in Dixie
Greetings all,

I have an activated Wally receiver I would like to use at my new home. It is wired for RG-6 and already has an existing mount on the roof I believe I can re-purpose. With that in mind, I would like to ask which physical dish and LNB setup do I need? My zip is 62067 and it is my understanding that is eastern arc. I would much prefer to buy equipment that is as future proof as possible, were I to upgrade to a Hopper at a later date, etc.

If someone could please give me the details on what I need to order in terms of the dish, the LNB, and the switch, I would sure appreciate it. Also, the best method for a non pro installer to aim the dish would be helpful as well. Can I rent a meter from somewhere?

Thanks again! please advise.

-Rob

To provide for an H3, you will need a 1000.2 and a hybrid LNB which, for eastern arc has only 2 feedhorns. The hybrid LNB will work with a Wally, but it will not work when the H3 is also present (without addition of a DPH42). If you intend to add an H3 anyhow at some point, then I would buy a cheaper(?) DPP LNB suitable for the Wally.

Going off of what TheKrell was saying, if you are going Hopper in the future but wont need the Wally connected in the house at the same time (for example, Wally in an RV or something with the Hopper at home) then you can just get a Dish 1000.2, this can slip on a 1 5/8" pole mount if you have one (if you buy it as a kit from lets say solidsignal it should come with a mount), with a Hybrid LNB. This will allow for you to use the Wally for now, then go for a Hopper3 with whatever many Joey's you may need (up to 5). But if you want to be able to still use the Wally in the house with a Hopper3, say in a garage or similar, then you would need a DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNB that can handle the Wally for now, but when you go Hopper you will need to get a DPH42 switch, since a hybrid LNB can only handle one Wally/Hopper3 at a time (Hopper1/2 don't have this limitation, but would not go for them anyway), and the DPH42 will give you two outlets to use.
Your locals come out of St. Louis, MO, which means you need a EA LNB (the twin or "two eyed one")

Reactions: charlesrshell
And as far as pointing the dish, if you have the mast perfectly level and get the correct coordinates from a page like dishpointer, use that info to put the correct elevation (how "high" in the sky) and skew (the "angle") on the 1000.2, it should be as easy as swiveling the dish left and right until you hit something.

Last edited:
Going off of what TheKrell was saying, if you are going Hopper in the future but wont need the Wally connected in the house at the same time (for example, Wally in an RV or something with the Hopper at home) then you can just get a Dish 1000.2, this can slip on a 1 5/8" pole mount if you have one (if you buy it as a kit from lets say solidsignal it should come with a mount), with a Hybrid LNB. This will allow for you to use the Wally for now, then go for a Hopper3 with whatever many Joey's you may need (up to 5). But if you want to be able to still use the Wally in the house with a Hopper3, say in a garage or similar, then you would need a DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNB that can handle the Wally for now, but when you go Hopper you will need to get a DPH42 switch, since a hybrid LNB can only handle one Wally/Hopper3 at a time (Hopper1/2 don't have this limitation, but would not go for them anyway), and the DPH42 will give you two outlets to use.
Your locals come out of St. Louis, MO, which means you need a EA LNB (the twin or "two eyed one")
I think you can go up to 6 Joeys with the Hopper.

Please see attached. Is this exactly what I need? I want to use a single Wally today, and possibly a Hopper in the future. I would much prefer to climb the roof just once and be done. It is unclear if this dish comes with a mount or not. The back of the dish will include the bracket to adjust the elevation, etc. correct? I have both an existing DirecTV and Excede Internet mount at my disposal I can just take the existing dish off of, correct? The rep I spoke to at Solid Signal previously said I needed the solo hybrid hub. Do I still need that if I am buying the DPH42 now? Will the Wally work with the DPH42 without a Hopper in the mix at this time? In terms of physical connections, will it be as simple as one coax coming off the LNB, into the DPH42, and then out of the DPH42 into the Wally?

Thanks again! I am old hat in Satellite, but a complete newb to the world of Dish.

Attachments

• dish parts.png
    dish parts.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 132
It is unclear if this dish comes with a mount or not.
That looks like a kit, should come with a standard 1 5/8" mount.
The back of the dish will include the bracket to adjust the elevation, etc. correct?
Yep, and accurate if the mast is level of course.
I have both an existing DirecTV and Excede Internet mount at my disposal I can just take the existing dish off of, correct?
You can use them if the mast is 1 5/8" OD, afaik most (or all) DTV slimlines are 2", no idea about Excede. Very old DTV was 1 5/8".
The rep I spoke to at Solid Signal previously said I needed the solo hybrid hub. Do I still need that if I am buying the DPH42 now?
The Hubs are used to provide a client port for Joey's to run off of the Hopper, if all you are connecting is a Hopper/Wally then it is unnecessary, would still install one if you see yourself putting a wired Joey in the future. (Check the diagram, I edited an image from the DPH42 manual to sort of resemble what you would go for)
Will the Wally work with the DPH42 without a Hopper in the mix at this time?
Yep, as long as the switch is powered it will provide signal on both ports, don't need two devices connected for it to work.
In terms of physical connections, will it be as simple as one coax coming off the LNB, into the DPH42, and then out of the DPH42 into the Wally?
Not quite, you need one coax run from the LNB to switch per satellite, in your case 2 because that's what EA has. Then DPH42 to Wally, and the power inserter installed somewhere in between the Wally and switch (it can also be installed on the cable going to the future Hopper, as long as its going to receiver port 1).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-08 125825.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-08 125825.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 147

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)