PLEASE HELP!!! Trouble with galaxy 25/IA5, only 50% signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d_kloster

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hello and good day to anyone reading...

I am a former DirecTV installer, 5 + years. I picked up a side job installing a 90cm dish, single LNB dish, to pick up the galaxy 25 aka Intelsat 5. The reciever is a Traxis, model number i am not positive, but 90% sure it is
DBS 5400CI. I got the azimuth and elevation for Providence RI, as 231 az. and 35.1 ele. Not sure about the skew/tilt, one person told me to keep at 90 degrees, but the manual told me 114.
I cannot get the signal above 50%, no matter how much I adjust the skew/tilt, azi. and ele. Now I am not "green" when it comes to peaking out a dish, but no matter what I do it wont go past 50% signal strength. LOS is completely clear at 35 elevation, in fact, its clear to probably 40 degrees.
This is my first FTA international gig, although I've completed several DirecTV international dishes. I dont know what to do, the cable length is 60 ft max, dish to reciever. A friend told me it was possible the satellite might be lower than 35 degrees in the sky, even though the dish is set to 35, but I am not sure if I buy that.
I have no meter, so I have been using cell phones to talk with someone waching the signal meter on the TV, a method tried and true in my career. My birddog broke on me again, 12c error.
If anyone can help, please do so, I am desperate to finish this asap, the guy wants to open the bar wednesday, the 13th. Which leaves me just tomorrow to complete the job.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your advice.

well 230 looks close on the az and 35 for elevation and +25.8 for skew

if you checked to ensure the dish isn't warped (lay it on a flat surface)

and like Lak7 mentioned the LO is important

also some dishes have been known to be slightly off on the elevation mark so don't be supprised if you don't get a signal until up around 40

once you get a signal, I'm sure you can handle it from there

good luck

Not sure what LNB it is, it has 1 output, but I think the problem has something to do with it, or the reciever, or the settings. I will make sure I check the settings, any other ideas?

I will make sure to checkthe LO gabshere, but I have a signal at 50%, and picture in and out pixelating. Just cant peak it out.

if you have signal & quality and are getting picture in and out with pixelation then i would be sure to check for warping. you should be able to leave it mounted and just remove the dish bowl

also the skew set to + 25.8 i think looking at the lnb & dish its counter clockwise for + and if the lnb doesn't have a scale its probably about an inch off center mark. also check the lnb position you should be able to adjust it in and out slightly (i usually have the best luck with it being all the way out) away from the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)