Please help with 119 problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Here is my setup. I'm getting 95 plus on 101, 110 and 87 on 103. I can't seem to get 119 above 50. I raised the dish two inches which didn't seem to help at all. This board has allowed me to do the impossible. I appreciate all input. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 288
I went through this about 5 years ago. Raising doesn't really work unless you can completely clear the tree line and that means 20 more feet up. The 119 is low and on the right as iwc5893 mentioned. I betcha signal strength goes up in the winter when the leaves are down. The only way around is find another spot or take some trees down or limbs. Its definately the right side ones when looking out from the dish for 119.

I have never seen or heard one dish could get 95, 101... all the way to 119. All the setups I have that have both 95, 119, etc., requires two dishes.

What dish is that?

Here is my setup. I'm getting 95 plus on 101, 110 and 87 on 103. I can't seem to get 119 above 50. I raised the dish two inches which didn't seem to help at all. This board has allowed me to do the impossible. I appreciate all input. :)

SO you solved your issues with HOA? good thing.

Honestly at this stage you might as well buy one of these

I went through this about 5 years ago. Raising doesn't really work unless you can completely clear the tree line and that means 20 more feet up. The 119 is low and on the right as iwc5893 mentioned. I betcha signal strength goes up in the winter when the leaves are down. The only way around is find another spot or take some trees down or limbs. Its definately the right side ones when looking out from the dish for 119.

The thing I don't understand is the right side is clearer than the east. Everything worked when the last tech came out. Do trees really grow that fast?

I can attest to tree growth. I am in a heavily wooded area and they grow real fast. When I moved in 10 years ago this oak didn't exist. I saw it sprout from a seed and now its like 15-20 feet high. Nature is awesome.

I can attest to tree growth. I am in a heavily wooded area and they grow real fast. When I moved in 10 years ago this oak didn't exist. I saw it sprout from a seed and now its like 15-20 feet high. Nature is awesome.

The thing that is driving me crazy and if you look at that picture, I have a clearer shot in the west. Do you guys think raising it a few more inches would help?

The thing that is driving me crazy and if you look at that picture, I have a clearer shot in the west. Do you guys think raising it a few more inches would help?

No. You have to do some basic geometry and look at the location of the dish, the height off the ground, the distance from the dish to the trees and the length of the triangle from the dish to the top of the trees. Raising the dish a few inches doesnt really clear the trees. It hurts to remember this stuff but you can measure a few things and draw a diagram on paper to see what I am talking about. Now raise the dish in the diagram and you will see. The branches need to go or you need to go a dozen feet up.

The problem is the 119 sat on the east coast. Its really low on the horizon versus 101 and 110. You can have tree blockage at the same height around 101 but the dish clears it because of the angle. Using the same basic diagram, moving the dish back wont cut it either if pointing to the same spot. I wrestled with this and finally lost the battle after moving my dish to 4 spots. The tree blocking 119 had to go and I was right when it went down. Instant signal. At least I know the exact spot in case another one comes back.

Are you on the west coast or east coast? I think we were all assuming you are on the east. That changes everything we posted if you are on the west coast. 119 would be on the left.

Are you on the west coast or east coast? I think we were all assuming you are on the east. That changes everything we posted if you are on the west coast. 119 would be on the left.

They are my trees. I don't think I can cut them down because of the HOA but I could probably get them trimmed. I think they are to high for me to do it. Thanks for the input.:)

Yep trimming trees that high would require a professional. This is a true story. In my efforts to get a clear signal, a friend of mine was convinced he knew how to cut trees. We cut one down but was a tough one on how it leaned and it actually came down on another tree. Sat there but it was imminient that it was gonna take down the power lines on my road. I called the power company and they wouldnt come out despite a tree was gonna fall on the power lines any time.

So I went to bed that night but it was really windy. You could hear the trees cracking. I put the power company on speed dial. Sure enough around midnight, crack, snap, power out. Speed dial to power company, tree gone by day break. Turns out, I needed the tree to the right of it to clear 119. Professional came out a few months later and got my correct tree. Neighbors still wont let me live this one down.

I'm in South Louisiana. 30 minutes north of New Orleans. zip is 70448.

I am in the Northeast. When I had my new 5lnb dish installed all channels came in well. As the leaves came the stations on the 119 satellite began to fade and finally are gone completely. I contacted my installer (a local whom I trust very much).

He came up, pointed out the tree that is blocking it and said he thought when he put the dish in that I would get a year before the tree grew enough to block the 119 and within a year it wouldn't matter because the new 99 and 103 would carry the HD and they were much higher.

I figure the worst that happens is I lose a few HD until the leaves fall and/or the new satellites are launched.

I live in Phoenix Arizona, so does that mean that 119 is on the left here? I've been trying to find a way to get it (towards the right).

:welcome

To the left in Phoenix

What about Louisiana? In the middle? With D* having sats from 119 to 99 you are talking about a big portion of the sky. I wonder what their long range plan for 119 is? All locals?

:welcome

To the left in Phoenix

NO! As you look from behind the dish, it's 99 on the left and 119 on the right. That never changes in the Northern Hemisphere. What does change as you go west is the tilt or skew required. In the east, 99 is the highest and 119 the lowest. On the west coast it's the opposite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)