Please help with a DVDR/VCR connection problem

Chuck In Ohio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Athens, Ohio
The following is lengthy, but I want to be as informative as I can in explaining my problem:

This is strange to me, but I’m just trying to learn the ropes with DISH Network.
First- I connected a DVDR/VCR combo to our TV2 fairly easily by process of elimination, although the hook-up makes absolutely no sense to me- it shouldn’t work the way I have it hooked up, but it does... I’m able to record and playback fine.

I’m 52 years old and I bought my first top-loader VCR back in 1982 and have been hooking those things up all these years with no problems- cable boxes or not. But connecting my other DVDR/VCR combo to the satellite receiver & my TV is getting to be a real nightmare! I can’t seem to figure it out.

Here’s my problem- My TV has different inputs and outputs (including a component input) like many do. My DVDR/VCR has two outputs, one input (not including RF), plus a component output. My receiver is the VIP222K.

The receiver has the split RG6 coaxial coming into both RF inputs on the back. The component cables all come out of it and into the back of my TV component in. The RF output on the receiver travels all the way to the RF input on TV2 (not the same one as mentioned above- that one receives it’s signal from another DISH receiver in another part of the house) about 75 feet away. This is the way the installer has it connected. So far so good.:up

Right now we can watch TV through the component cables. I’m trying to hook up the combo unit so we can play back DVDs, VHS & record to DVDs/VHS, which wasn't a problem with our previous service (Time Warner)- took me all of three or four minutes to hook that up for what I needed.

I’ve hooked this thing up “six ways to Sunday” and can’t figure it out (without touching the original component hook-up by the installer). Right now I’ve got it this way:

RCA patch cords OUT from receiver to IN1 on the DVDR/VCR. RCA patch cords OUT from DVDR/VCR to VIDEO 1 IN on the TV.

I tuned the TV to the input YPbPr on the TV- tuned to channel 169 (Noggin) for the grandchildren, put a video tape in and pressed record and let it record for a couple of minutes. I then pressed stop, switched the TV to VIDEO 1 on the TV, rewound the tape, pressed play and…it recorded perfectly.

I then switched back to YPbPr on the TV, changed to another channel, pressed record and let it record again for another couple of minutes, pressed stop, switched back to VIDEO 1 on the TV, rewound the tape, pressed play and the darn thing had recorded the Noggin channel again!

I repeated this process three or four more times- all different channels and all with the same results- it continually recorded the Noggin channel (further on in the program that was airing of course). I am not able to change channels in VIDEO 1 mode, so I’m at a loss.:(

I know I’m close…and I’m probably doing something stupid, but this thing is wearing my nerves. I’ve tried every combination of connections and IN & OUTS I can think of that I haven’t even mentioned, all with mixed results but none that work.

I truly am sorry for being so lengthy. I’ve tried to search through the forums for an answer before posting this, but couldn’t find a solution. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!:)

It sounds like the VCR is connected to the TV2 output on your receiver instead of TV1. You could put your receiver in single mode instead of dual mode, or connect to the TV1 output with a different type of connection. (I'm not sure exactly what a 222K has, because I have a 622. But they should all be labeled TV1 or TV2 on the back.)

Thanks both of you. That makes sense. I hadn't even thought that maybe TV2 was on Noggin. One receiver controlling two TVs independently is foreign to me.

That was the only port available (TV2) and I didn't want to change the way the installer had it wired up. I guess I'll have to try things by changing the way he had it.

I appreciate your responses and will post back if I'm successful.

Thanks both of you. That makes sense. I hadn't even thought that maybe TV2 was on Noggin. One receiver controlling two TVs independently is foreign to me.

That was the only port available (TV2) and I didn't want to change the way the installer had it wired up. I guess I'll have to try things by changing the way he had it.

I appreciate your responses and will post back if I'm successful.
You have a set of composite (RWY) for TV1. I'm starting to get suspicious about the way the installer hooked it up. If he did component, he should have used a three combined Red, Green, Blue cable, plus audio. When you say TV2 was the only composite available, I'm wondering if he did composite to your TV, which will not give you and HD signal at all. Just throwing it out there.

I figured it out!

I took his hook-up apart (excepting the coaxials) and connected it in a way that would make sense to me.
KAB- He did have the composite cables coming from TV1 into my TV (along with the audios), which only left the TV2 output avaiable to go into my DVDR/VCR/TV, but I re-routed everything through my DVDR (from the receiver)- composites, components and took them into my TV that way. It records and plays back fine on VHS & DVD on my YPbPr input and also on my VIDEO 1 input.

The only downside is that my DVDR/VCR must remain powered on even if I'm not recording. If there's a way around that I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks for sticking with me! :)

Do HDMI or Component (R, G, B) directly from receiver to TV. DO NOT GO THROUGH DVD/VCR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are not getting HD that way. You are back to SD.

Uh-oh. I Didn't realize that. THANKS! I'll figure it out.

BTW my TV doesn't have an HDMI port. It's 4 years old and a "cheapie" (I think- my son gave it to me when he got a new one)- 42" INSIGNIA brand wide screen/rectangular. Is it possible that I'm not getting true HD anyway? It only has the component/composite/DVI. Does that make sense?:confused:

Uh-oh. I Didn't realize that. THANKS! I'll figure it out.

BTW my TV doesn't have an HDMI port. It's 4 years old and a "cheapie" (I think- my son gave it to me when he got a new one)- 42" INSIGNIA brand wide screen/rectangular. Is it possible that I'm not getting true HD anyway? It only has the component/composite/DVI. Does that make sense?:confused:

Older sets did not all have HDMI. In order for the DVD/VCR to give better picture through component, you can get an HDMI to DVI cable for the Dish receiver.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

I'll definitely get one of those. Thanks KAB. There's so much I don't know about satellite but I'm glad I found this site- plenty of information- plenty of people- strength in numbers.

Component-R/G/B cables (NOT composite-Yellow video) DOES deliver true HD. With the HDMI to DVI cable you'll still have to add the red/white audio cables , same as with component. Or.......run a digital fiber optic cable to your HT receiver. Some folks even prefer their HD from component. No difference for me.

Ed

Ahh, I see--you want to use your TV's component input for your progressive scan or upconvert DVD player and you only have the one set of component inputs??? Then it'd make sense to get the HDMI to DVI cable. Too bad you're a Buckeye, I've got two of those cables laying around here,LOL.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)