Please Help with RG6/DirecTV Question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ConfusedGirl

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Brand new home, RG6 installed throughout home. Only one cable going from 4-way splitter located inside the home to dish location.

Installer came out to do install of brand-new DirecTV system purchased from Best Buy. Installer told me the cable that was installed during construction is wrong type, and would have to charge me $69/hr to run new cable throughout new home. I looked at the cable myself - it says "RG6 2300Mhz" -isn't that the right kind? Installer also said that because our home is located above a business, that it should be a commercial install/account - even though it is for our residence. He also said they are also unable to mount a dish directly to the home because it has corrugated steel siding and roof. Tried to sell me a tri-pod to mount the antenna to. Installer also attempting to charge $49 for driving out here to tell me this stuff. I feel like I'm getting ripped off. Any suggestions?

The cable you have is fine. Sounds like the directv installer is trying to take you, possible because you are female (looking at username). I would call the install company and let them know what happened and request a more knowlegable installer. You should not have to pay for a commercial install.

Welcome to Satellite guys.

Sounds like this is what the $60 per installation deal from the fulfillment company, ooh Best Bye uses Installs Com and this is what the bidding game from, installers don't get enough and just try to make a few more bucks out from the installation.

THANK YOU for the replies - at least I know it was his issue and not ours.

What about the mounting of a dish to a metal building? He told me it was company policy not to install on metal, but couldn't tell me why. The tri-pod he wanted to sell me is metal, so I am not sure what the problem was with metal building.

To be fair to this "installer" its a bad idea to mount a dish to the siding as the dish has to have a solid surface to be mounted on and to accomplish this on corrugated steel would prove difficult and if he follows the SBCA's advice it is not an approved mounting surface, I cant really recommend the tripod mount as it may move if bumped, a pole in the ground may be an option or if no other choice the tripod mount may have to be used.
The installer MAY be referring to how your RG6 cable is run rather than the type of cable, often when cable is run for CABLE TV it is all hooked together where as with satellite the cable run MUST be a direct (home) run from the dish/switch to the receiver, if there are any splitters or if the cable is all hooked together (as above) it WILL need rewired!

This has been very helpful, however dissappointing...the more info we get, the more we know that the cable that was run was done as though it were for regular cable. Damn it, Jim!!

I think we may have to run external cable from the dish to the different rooms.

Assuming that the corregated steel has a flush mounting surface adequate in strength and with enough flat surface to mount the dish, would there be a problem - (ie - satellite interference from the large steel structure, etc.)? It would be mounted to the building through the steel sheeting into a steel stud.

Second, if mounted to a pole or tripod, how does the cable go from there to the home? Underground is not an option due to location. And, I am wary to mount the dish in the location recommended by the installer due to probability of our dog running into it.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for everyone's help!

And, yes, I am a female...so many men think we're dumb! I was smart enough to find this site... :)

I am a custom installer. I've worked as a subcontractor for Best Buy, subcontracted to me down through three levels.

In a case such as yours, I would build a special conforming mount out with special custom made spacer brackets that would allow mounting to the steel frame of the building.

Standard installers refer a lot of unusual cases to me, since my specialty is placing wires, both regular electrical service and home theater and communications cables inside the walls of homes and commerical buildings.

Aha, I thought there had to be a way to make it work. If the 2nd installer the dispatch center sends out is not able/willing to make it work without a tripod/pole, can I contact Best Buy and request a custom installer such as yourself to do the install?

I am guessng then that the steel building would NOT cause any interference?

One other thing not mentioned, is that you should run as many cables from the dish as it is configured for. Two for the round dish or four for the oval.

I agree JD. I would go with the oval dish and run 4 cables. Get it all done at one time in case of future upgrades/expansions. Especially with Tivo and HD. You will be glad you took care of this now. Good luck.

amen to that, jdspencer! Run cables from all the outputs on the dish to a central interior location that is easy to access. This is in case you plan on adding other TVs, OTA antennas, switches, etc. Think of it as the same as a computer network room, but smaller. Everything can be accessed from that one spot inside your home.

should the installer be expected to run all cable from the dish to that central point? so for instance you will only be needing 3 of the 4 cable at installation time??

From my experience, the installer will usually follow the path of least resistance. Meaning, if you don't ask them to run all 4 lines, they will run whatever is needed for the STB(s) that they are installing. I get to fix mine myself because I didn't have it done the first time :(

What about a skid mount on the roof of the building?? Is it a flat roof?? You could weigh it down with some sand bags. AS long as the existing cable doesn't have any splitters in line other then the one where they all meet with the main cable feed I would suspect that you will be okay with the existing cable. If there are only four cable outlets in the house, that would signify to me that there is a single line to each room ( you did mention a four-way splitter)The only other questions to that scenerio.... is it possible to get the cable from the dish to the existing cable and are you getting Tivo or any reason you would need two lines to one reciever location. Good luck, keep us informed.

first off he HAS to run AT LEAST 100 feet of exposed wiring for FREE to even accept the install, for EACH reciever to the dish. or to the MULTI SWITCH (GREY AREA)..ie does the run to the switch count? as the installer/ tech can minipulate that area??!!
look at the stampings on the cable, if it says 2.250 os 2.500 swept test IT IS FINE , BUT there can be no splitters in the run. if you dint want any addl charges tell the tech to WRAP THE HOUSE. sounds to me this INSTALLER wanted to milk you or was afraid and didnt want to do job, call the co and ask for a new tech, with directv you can do that for free with dish i dont know

wobbie said:
What about a skid mount on the roof of the building?? Is it a flat roof?? You could weigh it down with some sand bags. AS long as the existing cable doesn't have any splitters in line other then the one where they all meet with the main cable feed I would suspect that you will be okay with the existing cable. If there are only four cable outlets in the house, that would signify to me that there is a single line to each room ( you did mention a four-way splitter)The only other questions to that scenerio.... is it possible to get the cable from the dish to the existing cable and are you getting Tivo or any reason you would need two lines to one reciever location. Good luck, keep us informed.

Ok...this is a long post...sorry in advance!

A single RG6 cable runs from an outside location on the side of the home (intended for the dish to be mounted there) at the 3rd story level. The single cable runs inside the walls from the 3rd story into the 2nd story to a 4-way splitter as an "in". Four RG6 cables run "out" from the 4-way splitter to different rooms, on different levels of the home. Tivo will be installed on the 3rd floor, where currently, only 1 cable runs to that location.

We are not opposed to running 4 new cables from the dish externally on the home to the different rooms - if we actually have to, but have been told by Install Inc that they won't even run those cables from the exterior of the home due to the metal siding, etc...it would have to be from the $80 tri-pod (now $60 today for some reason) that they really, really want to sell to us.

In addition to above, found out some interesting things today. Install company never called today as they said they would - had to call them to try to get someone else out to install and/or answer questions about what actually could be done. I requested that everything be clarified for the new installer and for us PRIOR to their trip out here so we didn't have a repeat of the other day...that proved to be too difficult to accomplish...

So, they told me today they could not mount to a steel building because of the risk of lighting, etc. HOWEVER, she said they could mount the dish to a 6' STEEL pipe that would be cemented into our yard.

I asked why the dish could be mounted to a steel pole, and the rep from Install Inc said it was because it was a "special" steel. I asked her what the "special" steel was, and told her I found it very odd. She reluctantly told me that the steel they would use is galvanized steel.

Well, lo and behold, our entire home is constructed of galvanized steel beams and painted galvanized steel siding (we live above a business if you are wondering). So, I then asked why they would not mount to the home - she said it would take a "special" drill bit and "special" bolts to mount the dish and we would have to pay extra for it. Still not reason enough to not mount the dish.

Rep then said that with the dish mounted on the home, there is a high risk of lightning striking the home. Odd that a 6' foot steel pole wouldn't be struck, but a grounded building (as law requires new construction to be) would? The rep also stated that the building would be an "unstable mounting surface". I still cannot figure out how in the world mounting into a steel stud is less stable than a dish waving around in the wind and rain on top of a pole...

Needless to say, we are at the point of deciding whether or not we are going to return the entire system and wash our hands of it or if we are just going to intall it ourselves. Argh!!!

I have a bad feeling...rabbit ears, here we come... :river

Cabling

The cabling as you described it is almost perfect for your install, and will in my opinion save the tech quite a bit of time since he only will need to run a second line to your tivo room. The existing splitter will simply be replaced with a multi-switch and all will be good in the world. As for the steel issue I'll let someone with more expierance installing satalite dishes handle this one.

I only speak in theory and loads of techno-geek knowledge since I don't actually have my own DTV system yet. Although when it comes time i'll be doing the install myself.

So please correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds too simple, unless the installer is a little leary about going up three stories. Just my oppinion without seeing the problem. If there is line of sight from the ground, I would go with a pole mount. $7.00 pole and $2.00 bag of concrete. Install the pole yourself if they want to charge you. Then he can run the cable up the building into the second floor, run another line for the Tivo and everyone is happy. Or as I mentioned earlier, a non penetrating roof mount. The pole mount would be a better location should you ever need to service the dish thouigh. What part of the country are you in?

From what your describing, it could be a relatively easy install for a installer who has the right experience. Since from what your describing - you have a central wiring area (someone thought ahead when the wiring was put in), you would just need to have an additional line ran to the room where you want the TIVO, and and three lines run to the outside. In your case - I might even suggest hiring an electrician to do the work.

If I was to do such a job - I would charge $100 to $200 do the job - depending on the accessibility of walls, attic to pull the wires through, but, I am not a licensed contractor - and just do some work on the side.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts