Please ID HD Hardware

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slinky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
when we upgrade to High Def,
could someone please identify the dish and multi-switch that will be used?
Thank you

Thank you very much. This gave me the dish info that I need but did not have any info on the switch. I'm told that the existing switch will not suffice for HD.

Thank you very much. This gave me the dish info that I need but did not have any info on the switch. I'm told that the existing switch will not suffice for HD.

There is a multiswitch built into the dish. If you need more than four lines, then you need a separate multiswitch, the Zinwell 6x8 or 6x16.

There is a multiswitch built into the dish. If you need more than four lines, then you need a separate multiswitch, the Zinwell 6x8 or 6x16.

I see. Still have a question....
I have 2 lines running down from my existing dish going into a switch which then feeds two rooms with a pair of coax to each.
Does the built in switch need 2 more lines? If so, I'll get a new switch.
Thank you for your help.

The dish has a built in 4 output multiswitch, so if you don't need more than four lines you're good. Obviously, you need four lines from the dish. If you need more than 4, then you add the Zinwell 6x8 switch (WB68) to the four lines from the dish, and then distribute from it.

The dish has a built in 4 output multiswitch, so if you don't need more than four lines you're good. Obviously, you need four lines from the dish. If you need more than 4, then you add the Zinwell 6x8 switch (WB68) to the four lines from the dish, and then distribute from it.

So, let me make sure that I understand this correctly....
I cannot use just the 2 existing lines from the dish to feed the switch which will then feed 2 rooms with a pair of coax each. You're saying that I must run 2 additional lines from the dish to the switch to be able to use the switch>room runs?

Right. If you used just two lines from the new dish (5LNB) to feed your existing multiswitch you will be limited to just the 101 satellite. So make sure that two additional lines are run when the new dish is installed. Have the four lines runs to the same location, so that if you need to upgrade to more than four lines the additional multiswitch can be added there.

Right. If you used just two lines from the new dish (5LNB) to feed your existing multiswitch you will be limited to just the 101 satellite. So make sure that two additional lines are run when the new dish is installed. Have the four lines runs to the same location, so that if you need to upgrade to more than four lines the additional multiswitch can be added there.

Groan. I was told by D* that the HD dish connects up to the 2 pairs of wires going to the existing dish and that it is a special, manufacturer specific, HD switch that is used to distribute the signal throughout.. I hope that this info is correct as this is a vacation home that I use one of my units in. The pair of existing drops is in the walls. Running another pair would be a nightmare to do. Do I now call back and ask if using only one pair of wires excludes satellites?

Groan. I was told by D* that the HD dish connects up to the 2 pairs of wires going to the existing dish and that it is a special, manufacturer specific, HD switch that is used to distribute the signal throughout.. I hope that this info is correct as this is a vacation home that I use one of my units in. The pair of existing drops is in the walls. Running another pair would be a nightmare to do. Do I now call back and ask if using only one pair of wires excludes satellites?

Hang on Slinky !

Where is your multi switch located ?
The 4 runs from the DISH need to go to the MS, form there it would distribute to the rooms, so if you have runs to the rooms, if you have a DVR you will want 2 lines from the MS to the room, IF you do not have a DVR you can use the single run into your rooms.

Jimbo

Hang on Slinky !

Where is your multi switch located ?
The 4 runs from the DISH need to go to the MS, form there it would distribute to the rooms, so if you have runs to the rooms, if you have a DVR you will want 2 lines from the MS to the room, IF you do not have a DVR you can use the single run into your rooms.

Jimbo
-multiswitch in basement with 2 lines coming to it from dish
-2 lines from MS to room A for DVR
-2 lines from MS to room B for DVR

-i was told by D* that i only need 2 lines from the dish to the MS.
are they mistaken?

are they mistaken?

Are they mistaken ?
Yes

Are you able to run 2 more lines from the dish to the basement ?
If so, thats where I would start, THEN all your rec's hook into the MS from that point.

You should be using the WB68 or 616
6 inputs and 6 or 18 outputs, most use the 68 but some need more.
If you have any DVR's you will want 2 runs to them so you can watch something other than what your watching ...

Jimbo

Last edited:

are they mistaken?
Yes, in regards to having HD reception. To give the benefit of doubt to the CSR, only two lines are needed to receive the core sat at 101 through a multiswitch. You have to be very specific when talking to CSRs, sometimes they don't listen too well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts