Please stop me from going to Dicectv

dewar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Why switching
More HD
Plus my locals including RSN (Cincinnati Ohio )
No upfront cost: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/128136-new-offer-plasma-concepts-get-100-a.html

For $50 I can turn a HR21 into a 622
X10 Wireless Video Sender Platinum with Universal Remote - NOW ONLY $49.99

Then you throw in the AAA discount plus the referral discount plus the standard discount Directv is offering

Directv's satellite launch was a success
Cincinnati locals are no where in the future of Dish, but Directv and TW both have the

If Directv has your locals in HD why wouldnt you switch?
I never watch any Voom

I can get more HD for the same price.

Reason For staying with dish:
I have none

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have already made up your mind ;)

I just made the switch a few days ago for exactly the same reasons you did (HD Locals + Speed + Sci-fi were the biggest selling points to me in that order) along with the gut feeling that new hd would be added in a more timely manner to Directv if and or when it becomes available.

Cost was pretty much the same for me if not a few $$'s cheaper with Directv for the setup that i wanted over the course of the 24 month contract.

You have already worked out the +'s of switching - why not list your +'s for staying with dish and then make your decision based on that.

Nobody else can tell you what the right thing for YOU is .. apart from YOU. Those that try will be the ones who have a strong leaning to one side or the other.

If you are going to be getting more of what you want than you will be losing .. and if the price is about the same .. I would guess that your decision would be an easy one.

Personally i have no leaning one way or the other. 24 months ago Dish was the best choice for me. In 24 months time i will re-visit my Tv choices and make another decision based on who is giving me the most of what i want at the price that is best for me. Only you can make that call.

Why wouldnt anyone switch? Besides Voom what could be holding anyone back?

Last edited:
Stop You? I will probably be joining you. No new HD channels since about November. They took the Big Ten away from me this week. Unless Charlie tells his legal team to start signing contracts with the National HD channels, we will not see any of those ( soon, maybe) channels that were mentioned on the last Charlie Chat any time soon. Dish has four of my locals in HD. Direct has at least 6. Let’s see, raise my rates in February, then not add but take away channels in March. They are really making it hard not to jump ship. If they would add at least 2 or 3 quality HD channels by Wednesday night, not only will I stay, but I will upgrade to a VIP722, with the 24 month commitment. If not I will be ordering Direct TV on Thursday

Plus I lost my HDMI as of the latest software update. As well as I have "moved" to Atlanta but 129 is just unwatchable. I should ask for a refund. For almost the same price I can get much more,,,Who knows how long "soon" will be.

I might be joining you too. I keep holding on because it really feels like SOME new HD is right around the corner. Here are some of the things holding me back:

1) The future all-MPEG4 service has a lot of potential.

2) Direct REQUIRES a contract. I kind of like being contract free.

3) I hear lots of people say the 722 is better than the HR21. I haven't heard anyone say the HR21 is better than the 722.

4) I actually like RAVE HD. I wouldn't be devastated if I lost it, but it's nice to have.

5) HD OTA built-in. (That'll change when Dish catches up with HD LiL)

Here are the things that are keeping Direct in my mind: SciFi, USA, F/X, ALL the Starz channels, HD LiL, Speed HD, Battlestar Galactica and The Shield premiers in a few weeks!

I keep telling myself that Dish is too smart to not have SciFi by April 4...

I had Direct for years, and they kept changing the stupid channel #s on me I would have my favorites down and boom changed to other numbers. I had my own reciever Sony and at the time it was pretty quick but controlled one TV. It was not for HD and had no record ability. I got tired of the change up on Music Selections to wierd names like Fred and did not describe type of Music it was. With Dish I love Sirius over XM and listen to it while working. I have a Toshiba projection HD TV but have not made the move to HD yet because I have about 70 hours of Monk and other programs to watch out of 100 hours on my DVR? I will then consider Paying the extra 10 bucks for HD? I then get a receiver that has less recording capability than now? Downside to Dish is they did not explain well at installation of what room would do most recordings? My Living room and Computer room are the recording ones? My wife spends more time in computer room and hates it that my other programs are recording and she cannot watch what she wants. Then I have to switch off and lose what I am watching? Should have had the record go to back bedroom and have the little receiver sitting on top of a little 13 inch tv go into the computer room? Other downside is keep getting Dish calling me nonstop because I sent the little receiver back for a fix? They then want me to upgrade? I will eventually have to tell them to bug off. But dish has the on line caller ID and I don't answer it? Does Direct have caller ID pop up on screen? I think Dish will pull past DT in next year with HD TV? Just hunch? Sorry bit lengthy just joined today. :))

Last edited:
The thought of switching is very much on my mind. I am going to wait to see how the court ruling with All American Direct comes out and I am waiting to see if Dish is going to be able to offer signifcntly viewed channels from the market just a very short distance from me.
Directv has Mega March Madness which Dish does not, definitely a minus for Dish.

Don't switch to Directv !!! If you do you would never look back at Dishnetwork!!! And you'll only be kicking yourself in the as# for not switching sooner. So don't do it!;)

Well I think you would be making a big step back wards. Yes Direct has more HD right now but they had nothing else to do but to add more. They were behind for so long in HD but either way Dish will be adding more as well. Plus Dish Hardware is allot better as well so I dont think Directs is as good. So my 2 cents is just be patient see what happens do to in the long run when it comes to HD they both will have about the same amount. I had a friend go from Dish to Direct and he hates it now so he going to be going back to Dish. Then I had several Direct TV friends make the Switch to Dish and they like their receivers better the service just everything in general.

They all say same thing that they wished they switched to Dish sooner. But do what best for you that is what matters most.. I get a kick out of this though how folks say their switching to Direct then weeks later you see something like I'm coming back to Dish threads. Like I said though go with what fits you the best. Just dont make a quick decision to change to Direct then at later time wished you did not. Due to it happens all the time..

Why wouldnt anyone switch? Besides Voom what could be holding anyone back?

You do realize that when you say something like that you are implying that the many people who do stay are dummies.

There are reasons to stay with Dish: commitment, great equipment, VOOM (if you really like it), sometimes the cost is lower (although for most of us it's probably about the same), some people feel Dish has better CS, the pain of going through an install and, believe it or not, some of us (ME) can't handle the humongous D* dish.

Among the main reasons not to stay with Dish is that you believe Charlie when he says more national HD is coming. If it's channels you're interested in go with what the provider has now. The second main reason not to stay is that you won't feel anger, bitterness and resentment when week after week you get the same old s**t: hope for new channels on Wednesday morning and b***h Wednesday night when they don't come through.

For me the prime reason I'll stay with Dish (besides the Voom channels, which I *do* like - especially Gallery and WorldCinema) is the new $30 HD pack. I was glad to hear in Charlie's latest report that the plan is to have all new HD included in that pack. As soon as SciFi comes up in HD I'll be switching plans to the cheaper pack and actually pick up at least one more channel that I don't get right now: National Geographic HD. I have no interest in sports, which is apparently an advantage to many people with DirecTV.

CDH.

For me, the DirecTV equipment falls way short of what I'm getting through Dish. I have two DVRs (622 and 522) running 4 TVs. I would need 4 DVRs from DirecTV to match the functionality I get with the 522 and 622 (and no, that gadget from X10 won't allow me to watch one show on TV1 and a different one on TV2). Also, I don't expect HD locals from either provider to arrive in my area for at least another year, so I really need the OTA tuner. Even when I can get HD locals through satellite, I strongly suspect I'll see better PQ through my antenna. Add these factors together, and the HR21 doesn't come even close to giving me the functionality I get from my 622.
In addition, cost is a factor, as is the hassle of having to switch, not to mention the hassle of my family having to learn a new system.

Ultimately, I like the odds of Dish being able to add more HD programming over the odds of the HR21 catching up to the 622. As much as I would enjoy BSG in high-def, not to mention all the other shows I'm missing out out, it is still, at the end of the day, just TV. I'm always puzzled by these "I'm going to jump ship!" threads. I imagine at least half of these people will be threatening to jump back to Dish in under a year when the wind shifts in that direction. If you're not happy with Dish and believe that DirecTV will better meet your needs, then go. Why make a scene over it? So man-up, make a decision and be prepared to live with that decision.

You have to do what you feel is right. I looked into switching but didn't want to pay that much upfront for what I have now with E. Yes HD in those other channels sci,speed would be nice, however I don't want to do a 24 month contract for them. The cost for programming is about the same, I like my 622 and the fact if I want to add another cable I can without going through a switch, only running one cable to a dual dvr ( I know if I go over 3 I need a switch)

I have not had a problem with the signal from E and like the smaller sized dish then the slimpro. Like other people have said E had the most for awhile then D and by the end of it they are going to be very similar in programming. Instead of myself switching I will have some patience and see what happens. I also like the guide on E over D, easier to find programmings, see the info, but that is because I have been use to if for over ten years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts