Please turn off the meta-refresh feature

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
Please turn off the meta-refresh feature. It's killing this web site. I know you want more ad impressions and all that, but this isn't how you do it. It makes the forum nearly impossible to read.

You could do like most people do and install Google Chrome or FireFox web browers and use the "Ad Block" application. Works great. Its the only way to browse this website.

I never understood why this website has to have so many advertisements to "pay its bills" when websites much larger and even those in the same range do not. The numbers just do not add up.

You could do like most people do and install Google Chrome or FireFox web browers and use the "Ad Block" application. Works great. Its the only way to browse this website.

I never understood why this website has to have so many advertisements to "pay its bills" when websites much larger and even those in the same range do not. The numbers just do not add up.

Or YOU could use the site, and pony $20 a year, and help keep the lights on. Small amount of money to support a vibrant community.

Or YOU could use the site, and pony $20 a year, and help keep the lights on. Small amount of money to support a vibrant community.

That of course is an option.

I just dont like the idea of being "forced" to do something. The response of "hey if you don't like the ads and cant stand visiting this site, well then pay us and we will make it enjoyable". Just seems like that is a very non-caring way to handle things.

I understand the need for ads to make money, its one thing to have a few ads its another thing to make a site nearly unusable because of to many ads. If it was not so intrusive and making it nearly impossible to comfortably view the site I would not block them. and would probably even click every now and again.

I do not block the "gold sponsors" as they are not intrusive and do effect my browsing. And when i get in the market for the need of services they offer, they certainly would be my first choice.

No one is being forced to do anything, but I think several of us take the approach that if this site is of value to you, and you come here regularly (and most certainly if you have more than a few hundred posts) maybe its not such a big deal to donate $20 and become a supporting member. Of course some folks can not afford that, and that is fine too. But it only makes sense that the non-supporting members support the site through advertising.

Install a bandwidth monitor and then park your IE browser on this page. I did it for ten minutes and watched 25 MB of data move over my connection. That is me doing nothing else but staring at the screen and watching the status bar flash away with messages like "108 items remaining" to be downloaded. :eek: If I walked away from my computer for an hour 150 MB would have been transferred. Good thing I'm not on dialup or a capped internet provider.

If you think the forums are a problem try playing a few games over in the arcade section. At times several games are unplayable because of the extreme lag while ad refreshing takes place.

AD-Block free..

or so the site still benefits how about having FRIENDLY advertisements. I mean lets be honest the only sites you see with the type of overly intrusive ads as this one are usually adult sites!

Ads are fine and are needed. But the site is literally just forcing reloaded ads on you over and over and over so it can earn impressions.. regardless of the user experience.

AD-Block free..

or so the site still benefits how about having FRIENDLY advertisements. I mean lets be honest the only sites you see with the type of overly intrusive ads as this one are usually adult sites!

Ads are fine and are needed. But the site is literally just forcing reloaded ads on you over and over and over so it can earn impressions.. regardless of the user experience.

From SatelliteGuys Facts page:

"Now January of 2012 was a RECORD MONTH for us at SatelliteGuys! In January we served 91,913,346 pages and that was serving 512,013 unique IP addresses!"

Even with a subpar CPM payout we are talking $1000+ a day with normal ad displays. With all this refreshing of ads several times per minute plus four ads on an average page .... well I'll let you do the math ;)

From SatelliteGuys Facts page:

"Now January of 2012 was a RECORD MONTH for us at SatelliteGuys! In January we served 91,913,346 pages and that was serving 512,013 unique IP addresses!"

Even with a subpar CPM payout we are talking $1000+ a day with normal ad displays. With all this refreshing of ads several times per minute plus four ads on an average page .... well I'll let you do the math ;)

Trust me I understand the math which is why I am protesting by using the ad block.

It is one thing to "pay the bills" and another thing be greedy.

The Insider said:
Trust me I understand the math which is why I am protesting by using the ad block.

It is one thing to "pay the bills" and another thing be greedy.

Greedy?

You know how much it costs to run a site like this? You honestly believe Scott is being greedy? I doubt he even makes much of a profit and wouldn't be surprised if he losses money.

Do you also realize how much he does for members of this site? Not only giving away gifts, but providing a valuable and helpful staff that has helped me and many others with many of our technical issues.

Even if he does profit, that in no way constitutes greed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Every now and then we go thru this. The site is not profitable. Bandwidth and hardware ain't cheap.

If you've got any ideas on another way to raise some revenue we're all happy to hear them.

Every now and then we go thru this. The site is not profitable. Bandwidth and hardware ain't cheap.

If you've got any ideas on another way to raise some revenue we're all happy to hear them.

And I believe if you benefit from the site -- certainly if you have more than a thousand posts and are here regularly - pony up $20, or as Euro pointed out, $.05 per day. Do the right thing, and don't be a cheapskate.

Greedy?

You know how much it costs to run a site like this? You honestly believe Scott is being greedy? I doubt he even makes much of a profit and wouldn't be surprised if he losses money.

Do you also realize how much he does for members of this site? Not only giving away gifts, but providing a valuable and helpful staff that has helped me and many others with many of our technical issues.

Even if he does profit, that in no way constitutes greed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yes I do actually.

And I dont mean greedy in the sense that I think scott is some how evil and is robbing people blind. Greed does have "negative" meaning to most and I dont mean it that way, its just the only word I could think of.

A number of our ad networks use behavioral advertising do the ads are based of what you browse and search for. So I am guessing you have visited or searched for adult site (or someone on your computer has.)

For all ad agencies we use we have ads blocked from adult, political, alcohol and dating sites. For the one agency (the one that has the refresh) is 100% contextual / behavioral based. On that one we can not block based on subject. The only thing we can do there is block domains so if you see a offensive ad please PM me with the domain it takes you to and I can add ad it to the blocked list.

As far as making $1000 a day... Man I wish! I could quit my full time job and buy a real house. :). They say that the economy is getting better but the better they say it is the lower the ad revenue we generate is.

We are a strange site we reinvest back into the site. If you were to look at this site last year at this time as a registered logged in user you would notice that registered members see half the ads they did a year ago.

We are also Americas #1 satellite site because we do things no other satellite site does such as fly out to events like ces, plus we are working with the satellite companies to bring more to our members. In fact I am flying out in two weeks for meetings with one of the satellite companies as I am working in something big for our members.

In addition at the end of the year when we have extra money at the end of the year we hold our holiday party, and I would venture to guess that over the past nine years we have given back to our members tens of thousands of dollars of prizes. Something no other site has done.

If you want to use an ad blocker then god bless you but be warned if we are in danger if not being able to pay the bills we can block members using the ad blockers. We have had to do this once in the past and I hope we don't have to do it again.

We are a different site and those folks who have given us the $20 a year not only know the value of the site but they also know this site is more then a satellite site it's more if a community and for some of us it even feels like family.

Now there is no reason to argue about things as there are no plans to change the advertising and again if you see an ad that is inappropriate please pm me and I can ad it to our blocked list.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts