Pocket Dish ??

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
I'm thinking of getting the pocket dish with the 7" screen. Does anyone have any imputs on them personally? Like How easy do they work, Do they function well? They average Price? I was Quoted $399.
I mainly want to for my Mini Van. I was too cheap to get the Sirius Backseat TV in stalled. :)
Any Help would be great.
Maybe Claude Sells these?

I have a AV700E. I've had it since 2006, replaced the battery recently for $25. My kids love it, bought for the same reason not to pay thousands for a DVD system for my van. Have it hooked up to the stereo in the van. Sounds great with movies, dvr tranfers programs, and MP3's. Also if you record blocks from sirius and copy them, they sound nice also.

hemi,you may want to search around on here because if memory serves me correctly members have been complaining that dish doesn't even support them on the receivers anymore
Vip 622 and 722 they work with. Not Vip 612 that and the cost is about all the info I have. I just wanted some input form a few owners.

I have a AV700E. I've had it since 2006, replaced the battery recently for $25. My kids love it, bought for the same reason not to pay thousands for a DVD system for my van. Have it hooked up to the stereo in the van. Sounds great with movies, dvr tranfers programs, and MP3's. Also if you record blocks from sirius and copy them, they sound nice also.
Does it come with the car adapter? And is there a mount so the kids don't have to hold it?

You have to download the widget from Archos. this allows transfers to most of the newer pocketdish devices. My 722 and 622 still will transfer any recorded DVR event.

You have to download the widget from Archos. this allows transfers to most of the newer pocketdish devices.
Say what? If you're referring to Archos PMPs (gen 5), then this is correct. From memory, the models that accept the free Dish plug-in are the 405, 505, 605, and 705. Generation 4 PMPs do not accept the plug-in, and things like the Pocketdish already came with it installed in firmware. There is no plug-in available for the newest IMT's (gen 6), the Archos 5, 7, etc.

My 722 and 622 still will transfer any recorded DVR event.
Huh? Since when will a pocket dish or Archos gen 5 player download HD content?

Well since I'd be watching this on a 7 inch screen , HD really kind of goes out the window about 25 inches ago.:)
You are thinking rationally, as many Archos fans before you. Unfortunately you cannot download HD material from any Dish receiver, period! Nor is there an HD plug-in for gen 5 Archos PMPs, as some people expected. Apparently the TI chipset is supposed to handle 720p material, but that's according to TI and not Archos. If Archos engineers cannot make all supported media formats play back at acceptable quality, they do not make it possible on their players. Bottom line: you cannot play back any HD content on any Archos prior to the 6th gen IMTs, no matter what the internal screen size. Incidentally, since most if not all Archos players can output video to larger TVs, the internal screen size is always irrelevant. I put out a signal from my 404CC to my 32" Vizio, and the quality (for SD) is pretty darn good.
I was told the 622 and 722 can transfer recored content to the 700 model pocket dish. Is that wrong?
Yes, that is right as long as it's mpeg-2 SD content. That is also true for the 522/625 and the 612, and the 942. Ah... Used to be a receiver compatability page, but I can no longer find it.

It is my understanding that the "PocketDish" is an orphan. Abandoned by Dish/Echostar, all support, such as there is, comes from Archos. Since the PocketDish went out of production quite some time ago, and that price seems high for an old used PocketDish, I assume you are actually referring to an Archos model.

You might get SD versions out of the HD recordings, but that's about it. Viewing is not restricted to the built in screen. I wanted to buy the new HD Archos models (which are NOT PocketDish products) and use them to take my Dish HD recordings to my RV and play them on my HDTV there. No dice. No such plug-in is available. Nor, sadly, does it look like there will be now.

They're leaving money on the table. I guess not enough for the two companies to bother picking up. Frankly, I see little other use for Archos, other than for playing Dish HD programs moved over to it. Sure, you could save OTA and play it. Why bother? I'd think that would have to be a smaller market than the Dish market (which could include OTA recordings to Dish HD DVRs).

There is a plug-in (Model 700162WEB), but I gather it does not support Dish HD recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)