PocketDish Compatible with Napster Subscription Service?

EPCal

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
I am interested in a PocketDish, but I need to know if it is compatible with the Napster or Rhapsody Subscription Service (not download service)?

Has anyone used this successfully?

Thanks!

Can someone that has a PocketDish try the free trial for Naspter and/or Rhapsody and see if it's compatible with their subscription service?

I didn't test but I think it is compatible with WMV DRM subscription services. Just see http://archos.com product info about AV500 and AV700 I think it says WMV DRM Subscription is supported.

Did anyone ever confirm whether the PocketDish devices (AV-402E in particular) are compatible with Napster To Go subscription?

Thanks for any info.

I am assuming that the 2.2" PocketDish is the same as the Archos Gmini402? I do not see any Archos devices listed on the Napster To Go site. However, the FAQ at the Archos site states that "The Gmini402 supports MP3, WAV, protected and unprotected WMA(DRM9&10 "To-Go" Music)" and Microsoft's website lists the Gmini402 as Plays for Sure compatible. Also, Amazon's website specifically states that the Archos AV500 (which I assume is pretty much the same as the PocketDish AV500E) is compatible with Napster To Go.

Since it looks like I can get the 2.2" model for $99, I may just have to take a chance.

I found a post on one of the Napster message boards from a user who said that the Gmini402 does work with Napster To Go. I'm gonna pull the trigger and give it a try.

Wish me luck!

It "should" work.

By the way, Napster ain't perfect, but for the money it's pretty great for three people in a family to get all the music they could ever want -- unless Napster doesn't have the artist you need -- no online music service has 'em all.

Thanks David. I've been using Napster with my Windows Media Center and Napster To Go with my wife's iRiver. It's really time for a player of my own. :)

I have to say I fought with this for about 5 hours today and I just can't seem to get it to work. I even tried archos tech support... they didn't even know what a playsforsure subscription service was! If anyone can find a solution for this I'd be very happy.

There is a post on Napster from someone who claims the Gmini 402 works with Napster to Go. It was made back in November and I am trying to track down the author.

Also, did you see this on the Archos website:

"What types of music file formats does the Gmini402 support?
The Gmini402 supports MP3, WAV, protected and unprotected WMA(DRM9&10 "To-Go" Music). Note: the AAC, Real Audio and OGG Vorbis are NOT supported."

The Gmini 402 is also listed on the MS site as supporting playsforsure subscription service.