PocketDish Compatible with Napster Subscription Service?

EPCal

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
I am interested in a PocketDish, but I need to know if it is compatible with the Napster or Rhapsody Subscription Service (not download service)?

Has anyone used this successfully?

Thanks!

Can someone that has a PocketDish try the free trial for Naspter and/or Rhapsody and see if it's compatible with their subscription service?

I didn't test but I think it is compatible with WMV DRM subscription services. Just see http://archos.com product info about AV500 and AV700 I think it says WMV DRM Subscription is supported.

Did anyone ever confirm whether the PocketDish devices (AV-402E in particular) are compatible with Napster To Go subscription?

Thanks for any info.

I am assuming that the 2.2" PocketDish is the same as the Archos Gmini402? I do not see any Archos devices listed on the Napster To Go site. However, the FAQ at the Archos site states that "The Gmini402 supports MP3, WAV, protected and unprotected WMA(DRM9&10 "To-Go" Music)" and Microsoft's website lists the Gmini402 as Plays for Sure compatible. Also, Amazon's website specifically states that the Archos AV500 (which I assume is pretty much the same as the PocketDish AV500E) is compatible with Napster To Go.

Since it looks like I can get the 2.2" model for $99, I may just have to take a chance.

I found a post on one of the Napster message boards from a user who said that the Gmini402 does work with Napster To Go. I'm gonna pull the trigger and give it a try.

Wish me luck!

It "should" work.

By the way, Napster ain't perfect, but for the money it's pretty great for three people in a family to get all the music they could ever want -- unless Napster doesn't have the artist you need -- no online music service has 'em all.

Thanks David. I've been using Napster with my Windows Media Center and Napster To Go with my wife's iRiver. It's really time for a player of my own. :)

I have to say I fought with this for about 5 hours today and I just can't seem to get it to work. I even tried archos tech support... they didn't even know what a playsforsure subscription service was! If anyone can find a solution for this I'd be very happy.

There is a post on Napster from someone who claims the Gmini 402 works with Napster to Go. It was made back in November and I am trying to track down the author.

Also, did you see this on the Archos website:

"What types of music file formats does the Gmini402 support?
The Gmini402 supports MP3, WAV, protected and unprotected WMA(DRM9&10 "To-Go" Music). Note: the AAC, Real Audio and OGG Vorbis are NOT supported."

The Gmini 402 is also listed on the MS site as supporting playsforsure subscription service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)