PocketDish -vs- Video Ipod

i cant wait to get mine, i travel a lot and never watch anything anymore in real time. i DVR everything, and yes i have a 942 already. i spend a lot of time in airport terminals and on planes, it will work good for me. the 4" is a good price for the value in my opinion.

I have received a PocketDish today and have been playing with it for the past few hours, and I like it so far. (Yes the PQ could be better)

I like the fact that it comes with software to convert MPEG's and AVI's to MPEG4 for the PocketDish.

I have not hooked it up to my 942 yet, but will soon. :)

Hey Scott, if you can get that thing open without breaking something, would you tell us what the MPEG-4 decoder chipset is. e.g. Mfg., dev. type

Well here is my opinion of the pocket dish vs video Ipod.

I have a strong feeling that if Dish would have or would go to Apple and make an agrement to use the Ipod and Dish network together that they would be almost unstoppable.

Just think of all the Ipod users that would get Dish network to get free Video. Then think of the Dish users that would go buy an Ipod. Weather or not they would charge a fee for the use of it that way or not who knows...But if you think of the mass influx of customers both ways Dish would be put into the main stream.

I currently have an Ipod and I would buy a new Video Ipod in a heartbeat if I could put my dish network programing on it.

vs me buying a pocket dish.

Again just my opinion.

David

DISHDIVA said:
okay i agree pocket dish is pricey..however it dwnloads dish content (from 942), also in realtime you can record from live tv (using rca hooked into special port that comes w/ pocket dish), also jpeg /mp3-striaght from digital camera or computer )\(using usb port). oh did you know that it comes w/ 2 types of usb cables? as for the comment that was made about the content being boring after recording it in real time? well if you have a 942.. you can watch something else while transferring data.

Reading this just made me shiver. How in the world does E* intend to make this work? I mean, realistically what are the chances this will work as advertised. The software problems are bound to be comparable to the 811, 921, 942 (and probably other receivers which I don't have first hand experience).

Future users, prepare to deal with mickey-mouse workarounds and to not enjoy all the advertised features.

gpflepsen said:
Reading this just made me shiver. How in the world does E* intend to make this work? I mean, realistically what are the chances this will work as advertised. The software problems are bound to be comparable to the 811, 921, 942 (and probably other receivers which I don't have first hand experience).

This is one of the issues I have reported to the pub members. If you want to transfer videos, pictures or music to the PocketDish from your PC and you are not comfortable using a computer then the PocketDish is NOT for you.

There is no simple program asking you what you want to do.

For example, have some PocketDish software that a user can install is they want, this software when run will ask you what you want to do, (ie copy videos to the PocketDish, Copy Music to the PocketDish, copy pictures to the pocketdish)

The way it is now if you have videos on your computer you want on your pocketdish you must convert them to MPEG4 avi's then tranfer them to the pocketdish.

This should ALL be automated, you should be asked what files you want on your pocket dish then the software should do the rest, the user should not even need to know that the video is being converted to a format which can be played by the pocketdish.

In addition I copied some mp3 files to the PocketDish and a few of them could not be played, instead I got an error message saying there was a hard drive error.

More on this later as I do my review.

Pub members can check the pub forum for more details and photos.

I just read that thread Scott. Thanks.

E* technology, in concept, is some of the best out there. They just fall so far in the implementation of their plans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)