Point me in the right direction

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rcs4787

Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
After researching FTA(pizza dish) I thought I was ready to make the plunge. I purchased the new Viewsat Ultra(still in box) and all necessay hardwire for installation. Then I found this site with very good info on C band and its advantages. Now I am thinking forget Pizza and go BUD. Help me to reduce the plethora of information on this site down to a clear path of satellite happiness ever after. I understand BUD may require a little more technical know how, I am an RD Engineering Tech of 12 yrs if that helps in pointing me in the right direction.

FTA isnt pizza dish...lets make that perfectly clear :)

FTA requires a 30" or larger dish (or in the case of what you want in C-Band...a 6 foot dish or larger)

By all means read the BUD section of this site, and scroll through the many threads.
They are a wealth of knowledge.

If you want a concentrated dose, to get up to speed quickly, I recommend the Geo-Orbit web site.
It looks like it was made in the 80's, but the fundamentals listed there are the basis for installing and running a C-band dish.
Read it 'till your eyes bleed, and you'll come away fully prep'd for the task.
Only took me a few months of reading it over (and over) to come up to speed. ;)

It's not the RF you'll have trouble with.
It's the orbital mechanics and geometry of the whole problem.
I know my RF, but a background in rocket science :D or astronomy would have helped.

If you want to go all out, get a 12 ft. C/Ku wire mesh dish with 36 inch actuator and a BSC621-2 C/Ku LNBF. Then VBox II positioner controller to move the dish.

Some wire mesh dishes have large holes in the mesh and can't receive Ku. So be sure it is C and Ku. Look up the specs for the dish on the manufacturer's web site. I got my 12 ft. dish used for $150.

Also installing a 12 ft. dish is a major construction project if you want it to stay put during high winds.

Here is what I did to install my 12 ft. dish...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/95195-fill-13-ft-pole-dish-concrete.html

ICEBerg,
Is it true the area you live determines the size of Dish needed?

I know your question is directed to Iceberg , but what your refering to is called a Footprint , and yes where you live could be a factor in the size of a dish needed.

The bigger the better , I'd say most people would be satisfied with a 8-10 ft C/Ku mesh or Solid Dish that is unless you're in Central America.

heres a link to Ku Footprints and a chart for determining dish size.
How to calculate what size dish

AMC 4 Ku signal strength Coverage in the U.S. has a EIRP of 48 - 52 , so a 76 cm dish would work , but if you live in Honduras or Nicaragua you would need a 6ft dish , thats twice the size .

In the USA I would say the perfect place for a dish would be East of the Mississippi River only because of the Satellites in the Atlantic located on the Clarke belt , and even if you do live East you still need LOS ( Line of Sight ) so if you have a tree in the way that can ruin your view of a particular Satellite you may want.

Regardless of where you live in the U.S. Satellite Television has alot to offer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts