Pointing my dish satellite

Jeff6146

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Elmendorf
Hey everyone. I work on the pipeline and I have my dish satellite that travels with me. Can anyone provide the best, easiest way to set up your dish? I’m tired of being on the phone with them for 2 hours just to be able to have a tech out 3 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. I work on the pipeline and I have my dish satellite that travels with me. Can anyone provide the best, easiest way to set up your dish? I’m tired of being on the phone with them for 2 hours just to be able to have a tech out 3 days later.

If you have a 211 or Wally...get yourself a Tailgater. If you have any other type of DISH receiver, you'll need to become proficient in pointing your antenna

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

If you have a 211 or Wally...get yourself a Tailgater. If you have any other type of DISH receiver, you'll need to become proficient in pointing your antenna

Tailgater won’t get two different channels on two different tv’s. I went round and round dish network about that for three months finally they took the dish back and set me out a guy with a regular dish and it worked just fine.

Except Tailgaters only do 1 receiver and won't do eastern arc. The Winegard Pathway X2 will do either arc and supports 2 receivers.

Except Tailgaters only do 1 receiver and won't do eastern arc. The Winegard Pathway X2 will do either arc and supports 2 receivers.
As long as the two receivers want to use the same satellite. That can get old very quickly. I lasted less than a month before I started putting up a DPP 1000.2 on tripod so either receiver could watch any satellite/channel it wanted.

As long as the two receivers want to use the same satellite. That can get old very quickly. I lasted less than a month before I started putting up a DPP 1000.2 on tripod so either receiver could watch any satellite/channel it wanted.

Yep exactly. I had the playmaker dual and it worked great for the same channel. Go to change it on one tv and boom there goes the other.

It is very easy:
- get a phone app showing you the line of sight
- place the antenna mount where there is no obstacles
- put your mount perfectly vertical
- take your old antenna without changing the elevation (up and down)
- put the antenna on the new place/mount
- move the antenna left-right until you get signal on the tv signal strength scale 40 plus units
- Crack a beer and enjoy :)
(in order this to work your old dish mast/mount need to be perfectly vertical as well)

No, I haven't.
Jeff6146 didn't mention location .

What are the specifics for .... very far north and south.

Well I have a job in Odessa Texas and just 30 minutes ago the same company wants me to go up to Pennsylvania and work. The money is twice as much up there so I’ll probably go. I go all over the US.

Reactions: navychop
Yea I may be at a location for a month or could be 6 months. Could be a year. I just want to learn to do this myself and not have to wait on a tech to come to whatever location I may be at every single time I move to a different pipeline.

It is very easy:
- get a phone app showing you the line of sight
- place the antenna mount where there is no obstacles
- put your mount perfectly vertical
- take your old antenna without changing the elevation (up and down)
- put the antenna on the new place/mount
- move the antenna left-right until you get signal on the tv signal strength scale 40 plus units
- Crack a beer and enjoy :)
(in order this to work your old dish mast/mount need to be perfectly vertical as well)

So your saying the top of the pole the satellite mounts onto has to be perfectly vertical? Guys here’s what I’ve got. I figured I’d try and get this down while I was home and I’m my yard. I’ve got my finger on the part I’m talking about.
66c4f6c47ba3c8771865d6a31fc5d434.jpg
bbf816f7e0075fd02c7438fa89966e40.jpg

If you willing to invest a few bucks, get a sat. meter, phone app and few hours playing and you will learn...

You know and I was looking at getting one on eBay but I’m not sure which model to get. They seemed kind of cheap but again that kind of worried me because you get what you pay for. Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So your saying the top of the pole the satellite mounts onto has to be? Guys here’s what I’ve got. I figured I’d try and get this down while I was home and I’m my yard. I’ve got my finger on the part I’m talking about.

Yes, this is the part which need to be vertical.
By the way your dish is very dented and may not get you very good signal.

PS - this thing with the perfectly vertical pole/mast/pipe is only recommended for people with no experience and sat meter. The dish will get perfect signal no matter how much the mast/pipe is tilted if the person dialing it know what is doing.

You know and I was looking at getting one on eBay but I’m not sure which model to get. They seemed kind of cheap but again that kind of worried me because you get what you pay for. Any suggestions.

Everybody in my company use SuperBuddy so em I.
You can find used one for $250-350 .
Other than that there is $20-30 dollar ones but you have to have some more experience with them.

Everybody in my company use SuperBuddy so em I.
You can find used one for $250-350 .
Other than that there is $20-30 dollar ones but you have to have some more experience with them.

Oh ok. Yea I was looking at those. That’s what the dish installer was using himself. And yea I seen crap tons of the $13 to $20 ones also. I really didn’t and don’t know anything about any of them. But I’m sure I will learn with time and the forms help of course. LOL

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, this is the part which need to be vertical.
By the way your dish is very dented and may not get you very good signal.

PS - this thing with the perfectly vertical pole/mast/pipe is only recommended for people with no experience and sat meter. The dish will get perfect signal no matter how much the mast/pipe is tilted if the person dialing it know what is doing.

So you’re saying I got a good satellite dish, dish for dummies. LMAO. Got another quick question for ya, I noticed on this Ellenbee it’s got digital on it does that mean the others won’t get a digital signal or what does that mean exactly, cause I’m going to get the satellite Internet also and I was making sure that I had the right one that would do both.

So you’re saying I got a good satellite dish, dish for dummies. LMAO. Got another quick question for ya, I noticed on this Ellenbee it’s got digital on it does that mean the others won’t get a digital signal or what does that mean exactly, cause I’m going to get the satellite Internet also and I was making sure that I had the right one that would do both.

All Dish Network signals are digital.

Satellite internet requires it's own separate dish, electronics and wiring.

Reactions: charlesrshell