pointing problem with Hughesnet

lather

Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I have had an HN7000S since November. Not fast but way better than my only alternative, slow dialup.

But Hurricane Gustav paid a visit and we lost power for a week. Since we got power back, the system works as well as ever (signal strength 82-84) when it works but the modem now resets every 10 minutes or so which makes any interactive browsing very problematical. The reset log shows Reset Type: Valid Siftware Reset; Reson Software Download. It then shows the current software image and new image but these number never change. The current image is an earlier version than the one that was initially installed????

3 calls to tech support finally resulted in a new HN7000s being sent out. But when I try to register it the Attenna Pointing test (ACP?) fails at 53 to 59
The instruction manual says this is due to either bad weather (not the case at present) or misallignment and to contact my vendor for help. So, I am suspecting the 90 mph winds have moved my dish in addition to knocking down a bunch of my trees and wrecking my roof.

So I am 1) hoping for confirmation that mis-allignment is my problem and 2) tips on re-alligning.

Thanks in advance

To do it properly - which means being in compliance with FCC regulations regarding adjacent satellite interference - you need to buy a little device Hughes calls an OPI. Stands for outdoor pointing interface. You can actually do without this, but it means involving at least two people - one of whom shouts numbers out the door, while the other moves the antenna. Cumbersome and time consuming.

Depending upon your source, the OPI can cost upwards of a hundred bucks. Given that you may never use it again, that makes paying a HughesNet certified installer to do this for you - seem sensible. Depends on how far the installer has to drive, but around here they'll repoint a dish for as little as $65

//greg//

To do it properly - which means being in compliance with FCC regulations regarding adjacent satellite interference - you need to buy a little device Hughes calls an OPI. Stands for outdoor pointing interface. You can actually do without this, but it means involving at least two people - one of whom shouts numbers out the door, while the other moves the antenna. Cumbersome and time consuming.

Depending upon your source, the OPI can cost upwards of a hundred bucks. Given that you may never use it again, that makes paying a HughesNet certified installer to do this for you - seem sensible. Depends on how far the installer has to drive, but around here they'll repoint a dish for as little as $65

//greg//
I am not only concerned about the cost but also the time. I had to wait nearly three weeks for an installer.

I did not need to re-point my dish after all. I re-ran the new modem registration and when it asked for my zipcode I noticed a manual option and checked it. I then realized the purpose of the zipcode entry was to set the coordinates based on a zipcode database. Since I live in a rural area and not in the city limits I decided to enter my exact coordinates using my GPS. When I did this the pointing test passed and registration proceeded without problem. That was Saturday moringg an all has been well since.

Excellent catch, and it should help considerably. But understand that lat/lon figures are used by the modem only to calculate time and distance to satellite. The resultant numbers are the basis for obtaining initial sync and subsequent lock on the network timing loop.

But if you've still got slow uplink speeds, packet loss, transmission errors, premature rain fade - any or all of the above - optimizing your pointing angles may still be desired.

//greg//

Thanks for the explanation and the tip. I was puzzled about how the coordinates factored in. I will check all the parameters you mention but have a couple questions. 1) What is premature rain fade and 2) Do the packet loss and transmission errors stats reset when the modem is restarted?

1. The higher your received signal strength and ACP/isolation numbers, the larger your rain fade margin. That is, how much rain it takes to kill the connection. Conversely, lower numbers result in comparatively premature rain fade.
2a. packet loss is not a statistic collected by the modem. You get that by manually running the PING command from your computer.
2b. yes. successful and and failed transmission attempts are among the many statistics that are zeroized during a modem restart.

//greg//

Dear friend

I have a Hughesnet HN 9000 activated but I have go to live for a while to cuba it is pocible to capture the sign from The Havana Cuba, for example: I can desarmer the hughesnet and to take it to cuba and to install it myself, Because there are not installers of Hughesnet in cuba. Please Help me .

Before even discussing the technical aspects, you should positively confirm that the HughesNet hardware won't be siezed going through arrival customs. Because - unless things have changed since Fidel transferred power - consumer satellite systems were illegal (outside of the US facilities in Guantanamo).

//greg//

In order to install the HN9X00 you will be required to use an alignment tool.

You will have to know the installation procedures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)