Pole mount 1000.2 with trench questions

Depending on where you live, the 4" deep burial might be fine, or might be a maintenance problem--for places that have a hard freeze in the winter, you'll want to be below the frost line, so that the cable doesn't get pushed out of the ground by frost heaves.

What is ".17AWG"? This seems to be a very unusual size! AWG is usually in even whole numbers, like 10, 12, 14, 16, etc., with smaller numbers being larger sizes. By that measure
".17" would be HUGE. Is this some kind of metric that I'm not familiar with?
nope it's 17 guage..not 0.17....

I have another question about the Messenger line. I've been reading about this and it seems it's used when you are hanging the cable.

Is the messenger supposed to be a ground wire or support wire for hanging the coax?

Is this Messenger wire a big enough gauge to be a ground wire from the dish to the grounding block?
In the cable we use the messenger is copper or copper clad steel. That's for grounding purposes. In the other cable the messenger is usually steel. In that case it is called a "lashing wire". And yes it is for CATV aerial installs. However, if you buy the cable you may still use the steel wire to connect to the GND block. Steel conducts electricity too!

Steel alone isn't permissible. Code calls for #17 CCS, copper-coated steel.

If you are getting dual with ground, make two runs for 4 lines total. Might as well unless you plan to use that 500 foot spool elsewhere. Dish may come out with some other dish in the future or he may change providers.

Wife and I are in Cancun vacationing.

Oooo, rough duty! (He says with envy in his heart!) :) Once you have the installation done, I (for one) would be really interested and grateful to see pictures of it with the dish mounted, if possible.

I am in similar circumstances and just switched to Dish after eight years with D* because a tech walked on me due to laziness and a generally miserable attitude. They wanted $100 for an 8' pole and the fact that I had been a customer for 8 years, was paying $300 for the equipment and was also committing to spending over $2000 with them in the ensuing 24 months made absolutely no impression on them. I am sure my leaving made no impression on them either, but it satisfied me.

Anyway, if you could post some pics it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

FX

Finished it a couple weeks ago, Dish came out did the install and my Dad's in business.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Oooo, rough duty! (He says with envy in his heart!) :) Once you have the installation done, I (for one) would be really interested and grateful to see pictures of it with the dish mounted, if possible.

I am in similar circumstances and just switched to Dish after eight years with D* because a tech walked on me due to laziness and a generally miserable attitude. They wanted $100 for an 8' pole and the fact that I had been a customer for 8 years, was paying $300 for the equipment and was also committing to spending over $2000 with them in the ensuing 24 months made absolutely no impression on them. I am sure my leaving made no impression on them either, but it satisfied me.

Anyway, if you could post some pics it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

FX
Just a minute... Tell me , where do you think the pole, concrete an additional labor comes from? Do you believe that because you'll be paying the satellite company for programming and equipment that has anything to do with the expenses the tech has to incur or the additonal labor he must perform? Did you really think that a pole mount is part of a "basic" install?.
I love this. Here you are vacationing in Cancun, you're bitching about $100. I guess you are pretty good at getting work done by we the unwashed masses.
Where some of you people got the notion that we will gleefully perform additional services outside the scope of the work order and outside the boundaries of a "basic" install and supply materials without compensation is a mystery to me.

Here you are vacationing in Cancun, you're bitching about $100. I guess you are pretty good at getting work done by we the unwashed masses.

I am not in Cancun - try reading. The tech was a nasty little man who wouldn't say anything other than that he couldn't perform the HD upgrade. D* CSR and Level III are the ones who insisted on the $100. I had spent well over $5K with D* in the time I had been with them and was about to commit to *AT LEAST* another $2400. My complaint is with D* (the tech only for his attitude and for not telling me *anything* about *any* of the reasons behind his decision to walk away).

Stick your attitude in your ear and pop for a reading comprehension test. And don't bother to reply - I don't need your $#!t!! :mad:

FX

Just a minute... Tell me , where do you think the pole, concrete an additional labor comes from? Do you believe that because you'll be paying the satellite company for programming and equipment that has anything to do with the expenses the tech has to incur or the additonal labor he must perform? Did you really think that a pole mount is part of a "basic" install?.
I love this. Here you are vacationing in Cancun, you're bitching about $100. I guess you are pretty good at getting work done by we the unwashed masses.
Where some of you people got the notion that we will gleefully perform additional services outside the scope of the work order and outside the boundaries of a "basic" install and supply materials without compensation is a mystery to me.

Keep in mind that not all installers charge for pole mounts. Digital Dish, Ohio's RSP for Dish Network, does not charge for pole mounts. They are part of standard installation. We are also required, if the customer requests, to do 1 wall fish per outlet, in an inside wall as part of standard installation. We also run phone lines too. :) If you're trying to get rich from installing dishes by charging customers for pole mounts and for cable past 50', then you're in the wrong busines my friend. Oh yeah, and try not to be so nasty in your next reply. You only succeed in making yourself sound like an a$$hole. :cool: Yes, there are customers that expect everything for free. But from the sounds of the OP's original question, he was merely trying to get information about whether the tech that visited his father's home was a dead-beat tech. It wasn't you.....was it? I applaud him for going the extra mile and being prepared. Wouldn't YOU like to roll up on that job? Pole already set...cable already ran. Talk about a cake install. Don't piss in your own cheerios.

You may want to run a short ground wire from the dish to a grounding rod at the dish. The shorter the distance lightning and static build up have to go the better.

You may want to run a short ground wire from the dish to a grounding rod at the dish. The shorter the distance lightning and static build up have to go the better.

I'll grant you that every little bit helps. But I have to say that even though grounding is required, if that dish takes a direct lightning hit, that little #10 copper wire isn't gonna do squat. That's like shooting a bullet at a 100 car freight train. Grounding will prevent static buildup as wind blows over the dish. It will also dissipate EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) charges if lightning hits nearby. Most damage done to electronic equipment caused by lightning isn't actually don't by the lightning bolt per se, but rather the EMP charge that it gives off in the atmosphere. That's why phone systems typically are the most common conductor of household surges during thunderstorms. Most phone systems are not properly grounded. And the ones that are properly grounded still suffer because of the little amount of shielding that phone lines use. If you want to get down to brass tacks, grounding isn't as much for the functionality of the system as it is for liability protection for installation companies. If a lightning bolt hits a dish and the system is not grounded and the surge goes into the home and lights up the receiver and causes the house to burn down, then the installation company is liable for the damage. However, if the system IS grounded, then it's considered an act of God and unpreventable. I've read countless numbers of cases where various utilites have been ungrounded, taken a lightning hit, and been called installer negligence by the fire marshall investigator and/or insurance company. There have even been some deaths, resulting in wrongful death lawsuits.

I am not in Cancun - try reading. The tech was a nasty little man who wouldn't say anything other than that he couldn't perform the HD upgrade. D* CSR and Level III are the ones who insisted on the $100. I had spent well over $5K with D* in the time I had been with them and was about to commit to *AT LEAST* another $2400. My complaint is with D* (the tech only for his attitude and for not telling me *anything* about *any* of the reasons behind his decision to walk away).

Stick your attitude in your ear and pop for a reading comprehension test. And don't bother to reply - I don't need your $#!t!! :mad:

FX[/QUOTE..
You should be clear then. Apparently you can't get past the part where you think the pole mount and additional labor should be free based on your assertiojn that it should be free because you are going to spend X number of dollars for programming. Again I will ask you what your monthly fee has to do with compenasting the person doing the work?
I will give you or anyone else like you as much grief on this matter as I choose.
When I see assumptions such as yours I will not hestitate to fire right back at you.
Question: What do you think an electrician or structured wiring company or a plumber or any other tradesman wouild say if you demanded a free addtional service form them?
The problem with people like you is because it's TV it should be free. Got news for ya buckaroo, we have families to feed and bill sot pay just lioke anyone else. We are not your hired help. Got it? Good. Discussion terminated.

Keep in mind that not all installers charge for pole mounts. Digital Dish, Ohio's RSP for Dish Network, does not charge for pole mounts. They are part of standard installation. We are also required, if the customer requests, to do 1 wall fish per outlet, in an inside wall as part of standard installation. We also run phone lines too. :) If you're trying to get rich from installing dishes by charging customers for pole mounts and for cable past 50', then you're in the wrong busines my friend. Oh yeah, and try not to be so nasty in your next reply. You only succeed in making yourself sound like an a$$hole. :cool: Yes, there are customers that expect everything for free. But from the sounds of the OP's original question, he was merely trying to get information about whether the tech that visited his father's home was a dead-beat tech. It wasn't you.....was it? I applaud him for going the extra mile and being prepared. Wouldn't YOU like to roll up on that job? Pole already set...cable already ran. Talk about a cake install. Don't piss in your own cheerios.
we don't charge for "standard" pole mounts on DNSC work orders either. It's Dish policy to provide a standard (5.5' by 1.625" galvanized pole) plus burial up to 50 feet from the d-mark. This person mentioned an 8 foot pole. That is not standard and costs us a heckofa lot more. Twice as much in fact.
Also on our retail sales we do indeed charge for ANY pole mount. We view these as non standard any burial of 50feet or more is chargable as well.
Hardwire phone lines are always chargable. Even on DNSC work orders. One wall fish per job is free of charge. Limit 200 feet of tech provided cable. It's all on the DN servuice agreement. On the back. Read it. You know, that parts about free "basic" installs.
Rich? No, just trying to make a living. If your employer does not allow you to charge for extra work/materials then it is you who are a fool for working for them.
Don't tell me what to do. And I am certainly not your friend. Sound like an a$$hole? Oh that rich. You jumped this discussion and I sound like an a$$hole. You are the one who is doing stuff for free and obviously you buy into your employer's mantra so the rest of us should have to suffer?
We are quite through here.

yep that's fine. You keep grabbing your ankles and doing work for free while I rightfully get compensated for my additional time and materials.

you may now have the last word.

I always do. :D I don't pay for any materials at all. They are all provided by my company. We are required to use whatever we have to use to get the job done and to spec. While I'm not pointing fingers in your direction, it's been my experience that people that have to pay for their own materials tend to cut corners and use as few parts and pieces and materials as possible to keep costs down while maximizing profits. Regardless of the quality of the installation. I am well compensated for my efforts. On average I make about $35.00 per hour. Anywho....we've got way off topic here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)