Cable TV into my 622

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have a stupid question. Since my local cable company carries locals in HD, and dish does not, I am considering signing up for their basic cable package. If I do, can I run that cable into the 622, or do I have to run it directly to my HDTV?

Thanks.

to the HDTV. The 622 will only receive digital OTA not cable. You are not the first to ask this. In fact the 622 set up menus led amny to believe it could be done.

to the HDTV. The 622 will only receive digital OTA not cable. You are not the first to ask this. In fact the 622 set up menus led amny to believe it could be done.

Not only that... My installer initially plugged my cable connection into the 722's OTA port. I told him I didn't think it would work, and he told me it would.... Misleading menus, misleading installers.

Of course he also told me that transponders are "micro satellites" that are in orbit close to the main satellites. LOL. I stopped trying to argue with him at that point.

Not only that... My installer initially plugged my cable connection into the 722's OTA port. I told him I didn't think it would work, and he told me it would.... Misleading menus, misleading installers.

Of course he also told me that transponders are "micro satellites" that are in orbit close to the main satellites. LOL. I stopped trying to argue with him at that point.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks alot for that!

I don't have cable but the ant input also says cable. why wouldn't it work? You shut off the receiver and cable passes thru. Thats how it works on every other receiver.

so what does this mean, antenna only?
rece_622.jpg

I don't know much about it but search the forum for Q-Box. From what I understand is used to add QAM capability to some receivers. Maybe that's why they have that feature in the menus and why it says "Cable In" in the back of the receivers. This is for MDU subscribers only.

Here's a thread to talks about it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/96281-622-qam-qbox.html

Here's the info for it in the Tech Portal:

Tech Portal : (choose receiver model) : Equipment : Q-Box

I see that the panel does say "8VSB" now. I never saw that before. I just checked my manual and it's that way in there too, but I'm not going to pull the receiver out to look at it. So it is accurate, except that few if any cable companies provide 8VSB :)

I did a test for QAM capable Dish receiver (just for self confidence) - connected to Comcast cable where a lot of QAM channels visible by regular HDTV.
Sure, I got NOTHING.

I just tried this and I could not get it to work. The locals come in HD directly into my TV, but through the Sat. receiver, nothing. I initially wanted it not only for the HD locals but also to record them in the DVR. Thinking about buying a used HD TIVO on ebay and with a cable card for hthe TIVO, BINGO.. Bad news is cost is $22 per month for basic w/ cable card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)