Pole Mount

dav75

Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Hi everyone, I just recently moved to another address. The dish needs to be installed on a pole, dish already got approval with markings to dig on the ground. A tech came out but said he could not dig because the ground was frozen and said needed to come back in spring when weather was warmer but I called dish and dish said it still can be done so another tech will come out this coming Thursday. What do you guys think, is it okay to do pole mounts on winter months? oh by the way the dish is attached to a floor mount with cylinder blocks

Hi everyone, I just recently moved to another address. The dish needs to be installed on a pole, dish already got approval with markings to dig on the ground. A tech came out but said he could not dig because the ground was frozen and said needed to come back in spring when weather was warmer but I called dish and dish said it still can be done so another tech will come out this coming Thursday. What do you guys think, is it okay to do pole mounts on winter months? oh by the way the dish is attached to a floor mount with cylinder blocks
If the ground is frozen, how is he supposed to dig the hole?? Techs don't carry augers, they use shovels and customer service reps don't know what they're talking about, they just say yes to anything. I had a job last week, on a mover, stupid CSR told the customer I'd wall mount all 4 of her TV's...... for free

It depends if the ground is really frozen or not. We did a pole last Monday on 12/17 but that might have been the last one of the season. The ground is frozen today. :)

Don't you guys use digging bars?

Mine serves dual purpose, bust through hard rocky or frozen ground and then flip it around and tamp concrete with it.

If only 3 or 4 inches of ground was frozen I'd do it, anymore than that forget about it.

Mine serves dual purpose, bust through hard rocky or frozen ground and then flip it around and tamp concrete with it.

If only 3 or 4 inches of ground was frozen I'd do it, anymore than that forget about it.
Can you post a pic of a Digging Bar?

No, we don't carry those. Truth is, I haven't done a pole mount in forever, other than Hughesnet. I'm good at talking them into the roof, fascia mounted or corner mounts. Then there's the chance they have a solid 2nd floor deck that I can get LOS from that I'll offer up, too

If you worked in a WA market where 129 came in at 26 on the elevation you would own 1. :)

I don't know what to do if I should just let them come on Thursday and try or just cancelled appointment and wait for spring according to what they told me it should not be charge since it's still part of movers program

If you worked in a WA market where 129 came in at 26 on the elevation you would own 1. :)
I worked in Columbus where the 129 was at 23.1 and I never put one in and here in IL it's at 25. Even so, I'm not doing them in winter, unless the customer wants to pay $50.00 for the extra labor. I just hate pole mounts, so I avoid them at all costs

Reactions: charlesrshell

Yes, we carry the bars and use them regularly. Same here, 3 or 4 inches we get through it, any more than that is not practical.

I worked in Columbus where the 129 was at 23.1 and I never put one in and here in IL it's at 25. Even so, I'm not doing them in winter, unless the customer wants to pay $50.00 for the extra labor. I just hate pole mounts, so I avoid them at all costs

Isn't Columbus pretty flat? Lol, pole mounts are not that bad imo. The mountains around here usually decide whether or not it's a pole mount.

It looks like it's way above freezing where OP's at, usually all the moisture makes digging with a post digger pretty easy. I hated pole mounts as well, if the post hole digger wasn't doing it then it wasn't happening. I wasn't carrying a chipper.

Isn't Columbus pretty flat? Lol, pole mounts are not that bad imo. The mountains around here usually decide whether or not it's a pole mount.
You would be amazed how many trees are in Columbus. Almost every TC I went to was relocate Dish because of trees and many jobs, it was a chore finding LOS. I used more wing dishes this summer than I have in 4 years

You would be amazed how many trees are in Columbus. Almost every TC I went to was relocate Dish because of trees and many jobs, it was a chore finding LOS. I used more wing dishes this summer than I have in 4 years

That's nothing, try the hills and trees in Western Pennsylvania with that low look angle.

Reactions: HipKat
No, we don't carry those. Truth is, I haven't done a pole mount in forever, other than Hughesnet. I'm good at talking them into the roof, fascia mounted or corner mounts. Then there's the chance they have a solid 2nd floor deck that I can get LOS from that I'll offer up, too

When I did installs I did the exact same thing man.. I avoided the pole mounts at all cost!!!
Now I do have to say that calling dig first if I knew damn well where the main line was (over my head) and knew that there was no gas lines (in the country) then I'd just dig it.
Granted if the ground was frozen it was typically only the first inch or so and it was easy to remedy.. I'd just have the customer go fill me a bucket of hot water and I'd pour it where I needed to dig. The rest was easy to get down the usual foot or so I needed to go - I'd then flatten the pole end.. jam it into the ground..smack it on top with a large mallet or brick down into ground a few inches so it wouldn't turn. Pack it around with concrete and put the dirt back on top..pour a little water around and done. To make sure I wasn't responsible for breaking the ground I'd make the customer break the ground so they started the hole...therefore not responsible for it and I'd take a picture of them doing just that.

I always had a way to get around those stupid restrictions dish put on you. But like you said I'd try to find the easier ways.. right on edge of roof a foot in either way would hit a beam and it was done. Drop line down behind edge or gutter..attach and then right into the home basement or crawlspace or just a quick mount and done.

Get a shovel and see if you can dig in the ground.

The cable only needs to go a few inches down below the grass. The pole on the other hand needs to go a few feet down. They say 42 inches, but anything close usually works.

If you can dig, then likely your tech is lazy and just wanted to get out of doing the pole mount.

The ground is generally frozen the first few inches anyways. Like the other poster said a bucket of hot water does the trick. Even if you do a roof mount, hot water can melt the ice.

As far as calling mis dig, yes that is the proper procedure but really un necessary. Unless your doing any work on a property line or easement for the power lines, chances your ok to install.

I really don’t get what the big deal is with pole mounts. I’ll take a pole mount over going on a high roof any day

When I did installs I did the exact same thing man.. I avoided the pole mounts at all cost!!!
Now I do have to say that calling dig first if I knew damn well where the main line was (over my head) and knew that there was no gas lines (in the country) then I'd just dig it.
Granted if the ground was frozen it was typically only the first inch or so and it was easy to remedy.. I'd just have the customer go fill me a bucket of hot water and I'd pour it where I needed to dig. The rest was easy to get down the usual foot or so I needed to go - I'd then flatten the pole end.. jam it into the ground..smack it on top with a large mallet or brick down into ground a few inches so it wouldn't turn. Pack it around with concrete and put the dirt back on top..pour a little water around and done. To make sure I wasn't responsible for breaking the ground I'd make the customer break the ground so they started the hole...therefore not responsible for it and I'd take a picture of them doing just that.

I always had a way to get around those stupid restrictions dish put on you. But like you said I'd try to find the easier ways.. right on edge of roof a foot in either way would hit a beam and it was done. Drop line down behind edge or gutter..attach and then right into the home basement or crawlspace or just a quick mount and done.
Foot or so?? lol. Dish had made it like a Hughesnet install including pics. THREE foot hole with a pic of the hole and visible tape measure showing the depth. Pics of the bags of concrete with work order numbers written on them, full and empty... The whole ting. THAT is why I avoid pole mounts at all costs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts