Pole Mount

Get a shovel and see if you can dig in the ground.

The cable only needs to go a few inches down below the grass. The pole on the other hand needs to go a few feet down. They say 42 inches, but anything close usually works.

If you can dig, then likely your tech is lazy and just wanted to get out of doing the pole mount.

The ground is generally frozen the first few inches anyways. Like the other poster said a bucket of hot water does the trick. Even if you do a roof mount, hot water can melt the ice.

As far as calling mis dig, yes that is the proper procedure but really un necessary. Unless your doing any work on a property line or easement for the power lines, chances your ok to install.

I really don’t get what the big deal is with pole mounts. I’ll take a pole mount over going on a high roof any day
Digging the hole isn't the hard part, but who wants to trench 75' when every inch off it is frozen for those 2-5 inches?

I wouldn't use hoot water. It's messy. Just take your drill and drill a half dozen holes in the ground. It breaks it right up

Pics of the bags of concrete with work order numbers written on them, full and empty...

This is what happens when lazy techs stick a pole in the ground without using any concrete, like they did at my parents' house. A few bad apples ruined it for the good ones, and now Dish is worried about liability isses (understandably so)!

Foot or so?? lol. Dish had made it like a Hughesnet install including pics. THREE foot hole with a pic of the hole and visible tape measure showing the depth. Pics of the bags of concrete with work order numbers written on them, full and empty... The whole ting. THAT is why I avoid pole mounts at all costs

That's just stupid.

Stick a pole just a foot or so in the clay soil at our upstate NY cottage, and the frost will push it out by spring. Three feet is the bare minimum if you want it to stay there and stay straight.
I was referring to the picture process, especially of full and empty bags of concrete. Dish always seemed to obsess over little things while missing the big picture.

Reactions: HipKat
This is what happens when lazy techs stick a pole in the ground without using any concrete, like they did at my parents' house. A few bad apples ruined it for the good ones, and now Dish is worried about liability isses (understandably so)!

It’s not liability but 2 things..

1) The dish moves, your service is crap, you end up canceling and they loose a customer.

2) They have to pay someone to fix it

A matter of fact all this approved parts, and certain procedures for an install is to make sure it works right so customers don’t cancel over a bad install

I use this with the foam concrete now for pole mounts. Takes about 15 minutes or so.
IMG_20181110_180715.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

We tried one of those and it doesn't work very good in rocky soil.
I doubt it would in Western NY, either. The ground has a lot of clay in it and the shale isn't very deep in the areas near creeks and rivers. If you ever look at the Niagara River Gorge, you can see, it's all shale, for example

I used to own a company that built decks. Every Monday, my partner and I would go to the jobs we were starting and drill the pier/post holes with a 2 man, 6" auger. That clay made it real hard to get down to the frost line because the bit would just bind up and if you hit shale, the auger would just get locked in place.

Foot or so?? lol. Dish had made it like a Hughesnet install including pics. THREE foot hole with a pic of the hole and visible tape measure showing the depth. Pics of the bags of concrete with work order numbers written on them, full and empty... The whole ting. THAT is why I avoid pole mounts at all costs

I heard they were doing that a while back, glad I got out of it before then as that is just stupid. I'd be doing a ton of photochopping I can tell you that.
I preferred roof mounts all day long as most people didn't care and liked the idea of it being off the ground.
I put mine on a pole out in the middle of a trimmed back bush and painted it camo..once the bush growed back around it you can hardly tell its there lol.
I also laid down solid copper internet cable before I left.. 4 extra lines too for the entire run and rewired the house with that stuff.. screw them!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I use this with the foam concrete now for pole mounts. Takes about 15 minutes or so.View attachment 136471

Lol hah yeah right.. I live in an area where I swear rocks (river jack) goes to die!!
You could dig a little and pull out 3-4 big rocks.. instant large hole.
I never had an issue digging down say 15inches - about the width of a post hole digger.. flatten edge of pole, jam into ground so it wouldn't turn and tamp the concrete around it... would never move and sets up perfectly fine. Never had one fail till the pole rusted out or some idiot ran over them with a lawnmower.
They wouldn't be bad to do if you didn't have to bury cable beyond a certain number of feet. If you want a pole mount you pay for it and 1$/foot extra directly to the tech minus the costs of the material.

I doubt it would in Western NY, either. The ground has a lot of clay in it and the shale isn't very deep in the areas near creeks and rivers. If you ever look at the Niagara River Gorge, you can see, it's all shale, for example

I used to own a company that built decks. Every Monday, my partner and I would go to the jobs we were starting and drill the pier/post holes with a 2 man, 6" auger. That clay made it real hard to get down to the frost line because the bit would just bind up and if you hit shale, the auger would just get locked in place.
Yeah I'd be interested to see. It's a diamond tipped bit, and apparently they did a demo with one and drilled right through asphalt with it. I've only used mine once, well twice, on the same job(HughesNet and dish.) The ground was frozen, so I poured a little water in the hole as I dug, and it went pretty smooth.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Update,

The tech came yesterday was able to do the pole mount I think he dig a hole and poured some sort of cement and then installed the dish later after that. Just wondering how long does that type of cement takes to harden with that pole on the ground

Update,

The tech came yesterday was able to do the pole mount I think he dig a hole and poured some sort of cement and then installed the dish later after that. Just wondering how long does that type of cement takes to harden with that pole on the ground
If he dug a 2-3' hole, used quickcrete with water (Some people think you don't water with concrete smh) and the pole had an antispin or flat spot on it, it's fine pretty quick. Concrete takes about 24 hours to harden and about a week to fully set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)