Pole mounting multiple dishs on one pole?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I have 2 sats, one dish500 and the other 300 pointing at 61.5. right now i have them temporary mounted on a 4x4 wooden pole but want a to change it for a metal one. has anyone mounted 2 dishs on one pole? Maybe either one lower and the other higher, not sure if that's possible, probably depends on the elevation of the dish itself. Or possibly with one pole with a T on top of it with 2 poles going out at 45 degree angels then up again. anyone have anything similar? i'd like to avoid 2 poles for such small dishs.

dishinstall.jpg

Here's a quick illustrator mockup of what i'm talking about.[/img]

I have seen pole mounts with Arms attached to the pole holding an additional dish.

Not quite sure where to get a setup as that, but I know it is feasable.

Type A is common for putting two dishes on one pole but I dont think I have seen Type B being used before. I currently have a Type A seup myself having three dishes on it one being at the top, then two below one being on one side and the other dish at the other side using U-bolts. I have also thought about having a pipe (pole) run horizontally and U-bolting the mounts to it having a row of dishes with a pipe going vertically on both sides of the horizontal one to hold the vertical pipe.
You can also put a brace on one side or both sides of a vertical pipe (pole) to help it stay put with the additonal weight on the pole or use a larger pole.

I am wanting to add an attachment but it wont let me unless I actually start a post. When I go to edit my previous post and click on the attachment button it will not take me to add one but will take me to the top of the post I am editing instead.

Stargazer said:
I am wanting to add an attachment but it wont let me unless I actually start a post. When I go to edit my previous post and click on the attachment button it will not take me to add one but will take me to the top of the post I am editing instead.

It takes you to the top, but some new boxes appear underneath the post. it has options to upload a file. if possible can you take a picture of your dish setup for me?

Yes, it will either have to be welded or bolted together (with some big bolts). Having it welded together would be your best bet. You could even have the two vertical poles that will hold the horizontal pole in the middle go on up further in the air to each hold a dish at the top and have dishes below that on that same vertical pole. I will try to use my other web browser to see if the options appear for me to attach my figures for these examples.

I am going to try my hand at mounting two dishes to an iron ventpipe. It currently has one dish on it, using the supplied mounting pole clamped to the pipe with 1/4" threaded stock. Now I need to put a second one on there and I think there is just enough room to get that one on the same way. Not pretty but it should do the job! :D

Ground Mast

This is what I have so far for my planned install.
  • Ground Mast
    • dimensions:
      • 20-24', 2" OD, wall .25-.375"[/list:u][/list:u]
        • material:
          • C1026 ASTM A513 Type5 Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM)[/list:u]
            • hot dip galvanized[/list:u]
              • yield > 70 ksi[/list:u][/list:u]
                • installed:
                  • 1/3 of length in ground, wall bracket at 9'[/list:u]

Ok, here is the attachment.

A -1 and A - 2 are vertical poles in which go up and down. You can attach a dish at the top of those poles and on both sides below it with U-bolts and a mount with mast.

A - 3 is a horizontal pole that goes left to right that would be attached to the two vertical poles (A-1 and A-2) going in between those two. You can attach a dish using U-bolts and a mount with mast

B - 1 and C -1 are vertical poles. You can attach a dish at the top of those poles and on both sides below it with U-bolts and a mount with mast.

B - 2, C -2, and C - 3 are braces that would support taller poles and the weight in which more dishes would be needed to go up the pole. B shows only one brace while C shows two braces, one on each side.

The red dots indicate the possible location the dishes could be placed. Where it is on top of the pole it would not need a U-bolt but all other areas on the side of the poles and accross the horizontal poles would require U-bolts for each mast. B & C where you see the red dots at down the side of the poles the dish would be placed on the sides where the braces are not at.

These are like big tripods only permanent in the ground with concrete for the poles and braces. One could even have a vertical pole in the middle of the horizontal pole on diagram A to further stabilize it and to have dishes down the sides of it and at the top. Also you could put braces on the vertical poles of diagram A as shown in diagrams B and C.

This is for those that have a lot of dishes and need a good solid solution for multiple dishes that has no place to mount them. This works good for those that have a metal fence already that may look like diagram A.

Ground Mast

Stargazer said:
B - vertical pole with one brace on one side
I gather from the diagram, that a wall bracket qualifies as a brace for multiple dish/antenna installation on a ground mast. Correct?

Mike Noyes said:
  • load:
    • Dish500[/list:u]
      • 19" DBS dish[/list:u]
        • SuperDish[/list:u]
          • OTA TV antenna with rotor[/list:u]
            • 802.11 omni-directional wireless antenna for neighborhood WAN (Free Networks)[/list:u][/list:u]

Yes, a wall bracket does qualify as a brace for multiple dish/antenna installation on a ground mast. I have updated it to indicate with red dots where the dishes could potentially be located and may differ from what is illistrated in the diagrams.

Here is another diagram I have made. On the one that imitates a metal fence you can make the horizontal poles (pipes) longer in between the vertical poles (pipes). You can even add more horizontal poles beyond that just as you would add onto a fence. The other figure shows a pole up against a house or building. You can put blocks of wood to hold the pole down the side of the building or have metal straps to hold it just as you would an OTA antenna although you would want to make sure it is very secure and will not rotate. You could drill holes in the pole every so far and put bolts in it attaching it to the building to help hold the pole against the building and to prevent it from rotation along with putting it in concrete in the ground. At the top of the pole one could put a satellite that is harder to see from down below.

Thanks for all the replies. I b elieve I'm going with both dishes on one pole.

Can anyone tell me what fence pole i should get and how much of it should be put into the ground.

If someone from connecitcut can also offer any info of if its still ok to put cement in.

Make sure the metal in the pole is not too thin, that way when you pound it in the ground (with a pole driver preferably) it will not bend the top of it to make it hard to slip the dish down onto the pole. Two dishes on one pole is the preferred method especially seeing that most do not have that many dishes and its a simpler method to use.

Also on pole mounts be sure to fill the inside of the pole with concrete for a much more sturdy pole with no waving. This is especially neede for poles that are more then 5' out of the ground.

AppliedAggression said:
If someone from connecitcut can also offer any info of if its still ok to put cement in.
Google search string: cold weather concreting

Plenty of tips and suggestions for getting a strong product in cold weather are available.