Pole Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lil Chris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Kansas City North
I'm sure this is an unusual question but, where would you guys look to find a suitable pole to mount my 10 foot mesh dish on... I tried Lowes (they didn't have anything)... I'm not to sure of where to find something like this... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

i usually have good luck at the local scrap yard ... it works out cheap another supply is a fence company but its usually more expensive and also a welding shop might have some but again it might be costly...

Commercial plumbing suppliers, salvage/recycling yards, steel service centers, structural steel fabrication shops....or possibly someone wanting to get rid of an old BUD from their yard complete with post?

We have a company (commercial plumbing shop) called JABO Supply. They will sell me their "scraps" meaning someone has to buy a full 21 foot section of 3" sch 40 pipe (3 1/2 outside diameter) and they cut off some of it leaving the cut off piece in the plumbing yard.

usually about 8-12 foot pieces are left behind I can pick up for 20-40 dollars. They have already really made their money since someone else already paid for the whole 21 foot section of pipe. If you take cash you might get it cheaper since some of those guys will give you pipe and put the 20.00 in his pocket.

Measure your mount where the pole fit in!

We have a company (commercial plumbing shop) called JABO Supply. They will sell me their "scraps" meaning someone has to buy a full 21 foot section of 3" sch 40 pipe (3 1/2 outside diameter) and they cut off some of it leaving the cut off piece in the plumbing yard.

usually about 8-12 foot pieces are left behind I can pick up for 20-40 dollars. They have already really made their money since someone else already paid for the whole 21 foot section of pipe. If you take cash you might get it cheaper since some of those guys will give you pipe and put the 20.00 in his pocket.
Lil Chris,
This is very good advice from Truckracer besides looking at commercial plumbing shops I would add, also look at Water Well digging companys that put in wells for homes that aren't connected to city water. This is where I had my luck.

The next thing to do and is very important in looking for a pole is to look first at your Mount! Measure your mount where the pole fit in! To make sure it will fit a 3" pipe or a 4" pipe. They have to match up. When setting your pipe in the ground don't forget to go to Lowes or other like business and get some Re Barb so the pole doesn't turn in the cement.

Good Luck.

Tom
:D

Wow,
I want to thank everybody for their great suggestions... My only consideration for purchasing one is having them deliver, I did find a plumbing supply place that offers free delivery (I'm not sure if that includes everything they sell or not). I'm going to call them in a few days. My neighbor works on installing bridges and he suggested something called schedule 80 steel pipe (I'm not familiar with the technical terms of pipe) does this sound like something I need or will any 3" pipe do the trick, obviously, needing to be stout enough to hold a dish... I saw that truckracer mentioned sch 40

Tom,
I did see the re barb at lowes when I was shopping and that is on my list as well...

Be careful with sch 80, Most polar mounts are made to take 3.5" outside diameter pipe.
Sch 80 is thicker heavier pipe. It may be too large. I would talk to someone who really knows pipe sizes.

Regardless your overall pipe circumference cannot exceed 3 1/2" for a polar mount designed for such.

Your mount may be different.

I used 3" sch 40 pipe (that is really 3.5" diameter outside) fits my dishes perfectly.

go with schedule 80 steel pipe

Wow,
I want to thank everybody for their great suggestions... My only consideration for purchasing one is having them deliver, I did find a plumbing supply place that offers free delivery (I'm not sure if that includes everything they sell or not). I'm going to call them in a few days. My neighbor works on installing bridges and he suggested something called schedule 80 steel pipe (I'm not familiar with the technical terms of pipe) does this sound like something I need or will any 3" pipe do the trick, obviously, needing to be stout enough to hold a dish... I saw that truckracer mentioned sch 40

Tom,
I did see the re barb at lowes when I was shopping and that is on my list as well...
Yes I would go with schedule 80 steel pipe which is like cast iron super heavy. I'm taking it that you took a measure of where the mount attaches to the pipe is 3"? Some mounts are 4" and will call for a 4" pipe. I made that mistake once and got the wrong size pipe that it didn't fit the mount. Luck would have it the next dish I got used that size so all turned out well. Just for your sake you should take a measurement of the mount so you know you getting the right pole or else you may be buying another pole. I guess it's like measure twice and cut once! Pays to be on the safe side! Another thing comes to mind where are you located, as different types of soil makes a big difference too.
Good Luck.

Tom

Be careful with sch 80, Most polar mounts are made to take 3.5" outside diameter pipe.
Sch 80 is thicker heavier pipe. It may be too large. I would talk to someone who really knows pipe sizes.

Regardless your overall pipe circumference cannot exceed 3 1/2" for a polar mount designed for such.

Your mount may be different.

I used 3" sch 40 pipe (that is really 3.5" diameter outside) fits my dishes perfectly.
Thanks Truckracer, you learn something everyday! I didn't know the difference in terms of sch 40 or sch 80. I just went to the well digging company and asked for a pipe to use for putting up a satellite dish. My Unimesh dish requires a 3' pole while my Janeil requires a 4' pole or pipe. I still would advise to take a measurement of where the pole attaches to the mount to be on the safe side.

Hey Tom,
I can't remember as am not really a plumbing expert other than home projects.
I thought the diameter of the thicker walled schedule 80 was larger. Maybe it's outside diameter is the same while the inside diameter is smaller to compensate for the thicker walls.

I also know pipe is rated in IPS or Iron pipe size and CTS or copper tube size.
That makes a difference too.

My 7.5 foot dish is on a stainless steel schedule 10 pipe filled with cement.

The pipe is super strong but its walls are thinner that sch 40. The mount has a lot more slack with the thinner pipe but works fine when you tighten down the polar mount bolts.

going on that theory I wonder if sch 80 would be too big for my polar mounts?

Size of Pipe?

Hey Tom,
I can't remember as am not really a plumbing expert other than home projects.
I thought the diameter of the thicker walled schedule 80 was larger. Maybe it's outside diameter is the same while the inside diameter is smaller to compensate for the thicker walls.

I also know pipe is rated in IPS or Iron pipe size and CTS or copper tube size.
That makes a difference too.

My 7.5 foot dish is on a stainless steel schedule 10 pipe filled with cement.

The pipe is super strong but its walls are thinner that sch 40. The mount has a lot more slack with the thinner pipe but works fine when you tighten down the polar mount bolts.

going on that theory I wonder if sch 80 would be too big for my polar mounts?
Hi Truckracer and Lil Chris,
When I went to the Well digging company I was real new at this. I thought Pipe was just pipe and asked for a pipe to use as a pole for a satellite dish. I got a 4" Pipe that felt like it was made of Cast Iron, super heavy and I think they did call it Sch 80. I got it at a cheap price because some of the pipe was cut off. Anyway I put it in the ground and after it was set in did I discover that the mount called for a 3' pipe! So I went back and got a 3' pipe which was a lot lighter and fit the mount perfectly! Then I was given a Janeil called for a 4' pipe. I was in luck then so I could use what I had already put in! I think that may be Sch 40 in what you were talking about.

At any rate Lil Christ it can't hurt to take a maasurment of where the pole fit in the mount to be on the safe dide.

Tom

I will be absolutely sure to measure the mount for the correct size pipe, when I got the dish the guy who had it said it was a 3" pipe, but I will be sure to double check it first... Thanks

Check your phone book for well drilling services, usually they have left over sections, last week I was priced for a 10' section 4" and SCH40 at $2.00 a foot. That's hard to beat.

good advice there from Sergei

Check your phone book for well drilling services, usually they have left over sections, last week I was priced for a 10' section 4" and SCH40 at $2.00 a foot. That's hard to beat.
Yeah good advice there from Sergei, I would trust the sturdier metal pipes that they have rather then a fence pole. No Offence Zaxxon. And while you're there at the well drilling services, ask them if they have any old circuit breaker boxes that you can use for your wire connections.

Tom

And while you're there at the well drilling services, ask them if they have any old circuit breaker boxes that you can use for your wire connections.

What do I need a circuit breaker box for...? Just curious, as I was planning on just running the ribbon cable into my office. Perhaps you have a better idea...

What do I need a circuit breaker box for...? Just curious, as I was planning on just running the ribbon cable into my office. Perhaps you have a better idea...
You just want the box minus the circuit breaker hardware, in most cases is no good anymore. You just want the box part to run your ribbon cables in it and have it fasten on your pole with the pvc tubing coming in from the bottom. Usally they give them away or sell at a small price incase they send them back to be refurbish. Then from your pole and the box run the pvc pipe to your home or office. If you ever need to replace the cable its a lot easier to just pull it through the pipe rather then redigging the ground. Thats up to you.

You just want the box minus the circuit breaker hardware, in most cases is no good anymore. You just want the box part to run your ribbon cables in it and have it fasten on your pole with the pvc tubing coming in from the bottom. Usally they give them away or sell at a small price incase they send them back to be refurbish. Then from your pole and the box run the pvc pipe to your home or office. If you ever need to replace the cable its a lot easier to just pull it through the pipe rather then redigging the ground. Thats up to you.

Do you happen to have a picture of what your looks like...? I do get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense. But a visual would help...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts