Policy on sharing a dual tuner receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kaboom123

Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Southwest
I have a question about dual tuner receivers, duplex buildings, and what is considered piracy with Dish Network.

I live in a duplex apartment, but both apartments share the same address. The post office doesn't deliver mail here, but our leases both show the exact same address. Our duplex apartments are separated on the inside by a door that each of us can lock similar to a hotel room.

We were talking recently, and he would be interested in going in on the bill with me if I ordered a dual tuner receiver, and had the 2nd television on his side of the house.

I'm not interested in breaking the law, but it seems like we should be able to share the service without breaking it since we share the same exact address. (What about people who share houses, and rent out rooms and such) What is dish's policy on this, and if so will they install it this way?

Thanks,
Roger

You'll get the install in. Its not acvount stacking since its one reciever in one residence. Now if your relative in the next city over has a dish and a reciever on your account, then thats against policy.

Just make sure if you ever experience a problem both of you are there for the tech to get to both locations.

I think there is more to consider than just Dish's policy. Are you both tenants? Has the landlord given approval for this, and is he aware of whether or not it conforms to Dish policy, and who may end up being liable if it doesn't follow Dish policy and the Audit team catches up to you? If it's HD programming does the other tenant know that he/she will only be getting SD content?

If it were me I would just do it and not worry about it. Being it's the same address it should be fine and as for who is liable it should only be the tenants responsibility.

I would call my local AG's office and turn myself in for theft of service and then ask for lenency from the courts.......................................not (just kidding)

I'm assuming there is already a Dish installation at the address, and you would just be switching out tuners...

All I'm saying is that if the Audit team calls randomly and you can't access the other side to get to TV2 to answer the audit team's questions in a timely fashion, they will cancel your service and blacklist the address so that future tenants wouldn't be able to get Dish either. That is how I understand it, at least. The landlord would be the one to suffer in the long run.

All I'm saying is that if the Audit team calls randomly and you can't access the other side to get to TV2 to answer the audit team's questions in a timely fashion,
huh? There is only one R&S # on a dual tuner unit which can be accessed from either tuner actually. So you wouldnt have ot get to tuner 2 to read the system info screen with the pertinent info that changes once in a while

And, from what I understand, it is highly unlikely that the Audit team would call on an account with one receiver.

Last edited:
Ok, nevermind then. :)

As long as the landlord has given approval...as a landlord myself, I probably wouldn't allow it unless I was completely convinced it wouldn't bite me in the ass. :p

The OP must realize that with a dual tuner dvr only the person with the receiver will be able to watch in HD. The TV2 output is SD.

The other thing is if it is a dual tuner DVR you are sharing tuners and hard drive space. I think you would want to turn Dish record plus(I think that's what they call it) off. If you don't any time you set a recording it will record on the 2nd tuner and the other tenant either wont be able to watch live tv or they will simply cancel your recordings. Even if you do turn the record plus off so it records to whichever tuner makes the timer you will still have a problem if one person sets up two timers at the same time.

I would recommend a 222k instead of a 722k. You wont get a DVR that way but both of you would always get live independent viewing without messing up the other person.

Yeah, I already mentioned the SD issue on TV2. The OP didn't specify whether the dual tuner would be a DVR or not. It would probably be less problematic for both parties if it wasn't a DVR, like the 222(k).

I would just ask for 2 211k's...then you can always add a EHD if you want and each person would have one tuner to work with

But that brings back the audit issue....the 2nd 211 they might not get to

dare2be said:
I'm assuming there is already a Dish installation at the address, and you would just be switching out tuners...

All I'm saying is that if the Audit team calls randomly and you can't access the other side to get to TV2 to answer the audit team's questions in a timely fashion, they will cancel your service and blacklist the address so that future tenants wouldn't be able to get Dish either. That is how I understand it, at least. The landlord would be the one to suffer in the long run.

Paranoid much?

Edit: forgot to add LOL. Cuz im just kiddin

Last edited:
keep them both in the 'main' side and use a uhf remote or remote extender to get remote signal to the other side.

screw the Nazis!!
something like that wouldn't be bad .. but you could actually have them in the separate rooms.. the 211k's have dual outputs.. so you run the coax output from each receiver to the opposite side .. and you run dual UHF or Extended remotes (don't know if the 211k is UHF compatible) and you have to choose ONE telephone to connect to (or 1 broadband).

The reason to run A coax to B and B coax to A is so that you switch the input of your TV to the COAX and you get the *other* boxes's control screens. Thus the audit team calls.. and your on A side .. then you switch your tv to Coax.. look at B's information using the extended remote (since a dish remote can operate two boxes using SAT & AUX, you'd need only one remote per side, but 2 extenders)

As to the letter of the law, the intent of it, etc.. yes you'd be in violation... but dish either gets a customer that's sharing or it gets none. If neither person can afford dish on their own, then dish would get zero customers, at least they're getting a customer, and because they are splitting the bill, they might even be able to afford a higher tier giving dish a few more bucks.

We lie all the time ... its not great, but at least you're trying to be good. If knowing you're violating the intent of dish's rules causes you too much stress, then you'll abstain from service until you can afford it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts