• Dont care either way

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
Do you think that the HD channels in the guide should have a different color then the regular SD sat feeds? As of right now Dish has their four colors::

Blue: Sat feed
Yellow: OTA feed
Red: Call to order
Green: click to order

COLOR : HD sat feed???

so maybe a purple or maybe a black, something to show that it is a HD feed.

I ask this question because i just now realized which channels my HD locals were, having a new color might help a lot.

And what about "HD Call to Order" such as 9456/HBOHD?:D
Then what about HD OTA and SD OTA?

Personally, Black & White would be fine for me?
- White background, black letters = I have it.
- Black background, white letters = I don't have it.

Last edited:
As Scott showed us from CES there is an HD channel indicator coming out in a "future software release" that should clear it up for you.

At least on the 622:

If you hit the guide button on the remote more than once it will go from "All Chan" which includes the channels in red which you do not get along with all the channels you do get, to "All Sub" which I think is for all subscribed which shows you all the channels you do get, and if you hit it again it will go to "All HD" which shows only the HD channels.

You can also set up favorites lists or guides on which you could put only the HD channels you watch or your favorite SD channels or a combination of both. You would get to each favorites guide by continuing to hit the guide button on the remote.

One thing to remember though is if you are on the All HD guide you can only get to an SD channel by using the number buttons on the remote and putting in the channel number you want. You can't use the up and down arrows to go between SD channels when you are have the All HD guide selected last.

I guess I am a slow typer. When I started this post there were no replies yet.

Last edited:
We already have the "All HD" channel group as Gary pointed out. What we need is a REAL HD SHOW indicator.

For example, ESPN2 has tons of SD content, but everything, even the show description, says "HD". Give the shows that are HD a *, a new color, or somthing. I don't want to waste HD DVR space on a SD recording. If I can know that WSOP on ESPN2 is going to be SD, I'll just record it from the SD channel and save disk space.

Sadly, I never know until I record it.

Yes I do like this idea along with the idea that only real HD programs be shaded a certain color.

Now we need to decide on what color.. I will vote for "passion pink" :p

We already have the "All HD" channel group as Gary pointed out. What we need is a REAL HD SHOW indicator.

rotfl[1].gif

I voted for "waste of time" - I already know which channels are HD.

What I'd REALLY like is the ability to "relocate" channels within the EPG.

We use a favorites guide page set to be our "MAIN" guide - has all the SD & HD cable channels with no shopping/religious/PI/etc. that we don't want to scroll thru. Lots of channels we don't watch often, but can see anything we might want to watch as we scroll thru it.

I've removed ESPN-SD and ESPN2-SD from this favorites, since they exactly match the HD versions. However, I'd rather see these in the EPG "near" the other sports channels. Similarly, I've kept Food & HGTV SD channels in the favorites (since they differ from the HD versions), but my wife would be happier if the HD versions were next to the SD versions - so her "guide surfing" would be easier (a lot of the time she stays in this area of the guide - Food, DIY, HGTV, Fine Living.....go figure).

Any chance E* would ever make a "flexible layout" EPG? I assume the User Interface would be hard & just confuse a lot of folks....but its on my with list.

I voted for "waste of time" - I already know which channels are HD.

What I'd REALLY like is the ability to "relocate" channels within the EPG.

We use a favorites guide page set to be our "MAIN" guide - has all the SD & HD cable channels with no shopping/religious/PI/etc. that we don't want to scroll thru. Lots of channels we don't watch often, but can see anything we might want to watch as we scroll thru it.

I've removed ESPN-SD and ESPN2-SD from this favorites, since they exactly match the HD versions. However, I'd rather see these in the EPG "near" the other sports channels. Similarly, I've kept Food & HGTV SD channels in the favorites (since they differ from the HD versions), but my wife would be happier if the HD versions were next to the SD versions - so her "guide surfing" would be easier (a lot of the time she stays in this area of the guide - Food, DIY, HGTV, Fine Living.....go figure).

Any chance E* would ever make a "flexible layout" EPG? I assume the User Interface would be hard & just confuse a lot of folks....but its on my with list.

"Flexible layout" sounds like a great idea to me. If you could just use it to order the favorite's lists it would be a big plus. When I build my lists I try to do it in multiples of 7 just because I don't like moving up and down while scanning across.
If I rearrange the channels to my own deranged sense of order it would make me happy.:)

I voted great idea. Especially if they ever get to assigning HD in the SD number ranges. I think Scott mentioned something along those lines was being planned. But that was about a year ago so maybe the idea was scrapped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts