Dish cut off Center Ice game prior to completion

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
Dish cut off the CI game on channel 541 in the middle of the 3rd period on 1/29/07. The picture just froze and the Dish logo, along with the customary elevator music, appeared.

I called technical service and they couldn't help. They suggested I email my inquiry/complaint through the web site which I did on 1/29/07. So far I have not received a response (surprise, surprise!) as of 10:25 a.m. (PST). I have sent them another e-mail requesting the courtesy of a response.

I know there were extenuating circumstances regarding this game. There was a jersey retirement ceremony for Ken Dryden of the Montreal Canadiens, which delayed the start of the game. The game then didn't fit in the time-frame window Dish alloted for the game.

My concern is that they need to manually monitor the activity rather than have a timer automatically terminate the broadcast. When the playoffs begin, the games can be extended 2-3 hours beyond their expected length due to overtime. As a subscriber to a premium service, I find it unacceptable for Dish not to provide the full service paid for.

What I find particularly strange about the failure to complete the broadcast on 1/29/07 is that each of the channels alloted to the broadcasts are dedicated to one individual game. So they could put an 8 hour window on each broadcast without disrupting any other programming. So why use a 3 1/2 hour window?

Has anyone who has had CI in the past years experienced discontinuation of playoff games in progress?

I noticed the same thing ... when I contacted technical support on this they suggested that they (Dish) were not contractually able to broadcast beyond 10:00 Central Time. Seems unlikely to me but whatever ...

Perhaps even more curious was the use channel 542 for what looked to be a Food channel ON Demand offering (presumably for the DVRs). Right after the AHL All Star Game, exactly at 10:00 CST, this program aired. Could it be that they are using the space to broadcast ON demand programming?

I noticed the same thing ... when I contacted technical support on this they suggested that they (Dish) were not contractually able to broadcast beyond 10:00 Central Time. Seems unlikely to me but whatever ...

Makes you wonder out of what part of their anatomy they are pulling these excuses! They televise many games that start at 7:00 and 7:30 p.m. PST (9:00 and 9:30 p.m. CST) and these games end at 12:00 midnight or later (CST). So much for the 10:00 p.m. CST curfew! And how can they be under such a restriction when they are contractually required to broadcast these NHL games IN THEIR ENTIRETY TO their Center Ice customers?

What irks me just as much as not getting the service I have paid for is Dish insulting my intelligence with their lame excuses why they have failed to fulfil their contractual obligations...

I've had this happen before and about 5 minutes later it came back on (both feeds).

And I find it funny as soon as the game ends, so does the feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)