Poll: IPAD2 on sale day has come. What will you do?

Select one:

• I have no plans to buy a tablet of any kind at this time.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I already own one or more ipads

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I already own one or more Galaxy Tabs.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I already own one or more Motorola Xooms.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan to buy an ipad2

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I plan to buy the Galaxy Tab

• I plan to buy the Motorola Xoom

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I plan to buy but will wait for other options to be relased this year.

• I plan to buy but will wait for ipad3 next year.

• I have a tablet now and will replace with something different. Explain below.

• Total voters
Info for those waiting on Honeycomb on some tablet devices-

Announcement from Google:
Google Hangs On to Honeycomb - Analyst Blog
1:33p ET March 25, 2011 (Zacks.com)

Businessweek reported that Google Inc (GOOG) will not immediately release the source code to its Android 3.0 OS, or Honeycomb, as it is better known. Google said that this was done to restrict Honeycomb use to tablets. By way of explanation, Google said that in its haste to deliver a suitable Android OS for tablets, the company had taken certain short cuts that could impair its performance on smart phones.

While critics have jumped on Google, saying that the company’s open source policy is in fact closed, there is nothing exceptional in the process. Google usually delays the release of the source code, while it fine-tunes the application programming interface (“API”). In the meantime, the company released the code to the members of the open handset alliance (“OHA”). The code is also available to other hardware makers on condition that they sign an agreement with Google.

This is not necessarily a negative, since protection of the code in the initial stages increases the chances of a better coupling of hardware and software, which improves user experience and prevents dilution of the Android brand name.

Therefore, while the delay could set back some developers, there will be no holding back the Xoom tablet released by MOTOROLA MOBILITY (MMI) last month (except that it is exorbitantly priced) or tablets from Samsung, Dell Inc. (DELL), HTC and Acer later this year.

On the other hand, speculation is rife regarding a possible splitting of Android, creating one strain optimized for phones and the other for tablets. This could be something of a headache for developers, since they would have to write two versions of each application, compared to Apple Inc’s (AAPL) iOS, which is the same across the iPhone and iPad platforms.

We still tend to think that there may not be reason for dissatisfaction, since the split may be expected to improve user experience, which will drive sales and thus revenue for software developers. Additionally, Android is growing rapidly, so the separate markets for smartphones and tablets should be quite big, making the effort worth the trouble.

Negative sentiment has been piling up on Google over the last few months, as the company received an adverse ruling in the Books deal and is up against strict regulatory scrutiny on privacy and competitive concerns.

We have a short-term Sell rating on Google shares (Zacks Rank #4), while Apple is rated Hold (Zacks Rank #3) and Dell Strong Buy (Zacks Rank #1).

PS-Disclaimer: I don't endorse nor agree with the ratings used by Zacks.

Rocky has an iPad(2)? :eek: Just kidding. hehe. Looking back I wish I had gotten the wifi only version of my pad. I would have saved a few bucks. One thing I disabled was the email. I got tired of deleting the spam. I can turn it back on if need be. As someone who never had an Apple anything I was not a happy camper to start out with, but folks around here helped me a lot. Especially in the "Why this?" department. Thanks again guys.
Rocky I look forward to your final assessment.​
:)

There is much about the e-mail app that comes with ipad I don't like either. I think if I could load my outlook like I have on my Dell laptop, I'd like it better. I have a good rules section for folder archiving and a good junk mail screener. Today I junk about 300 emails a day and look at about 15 all neatly stored to proper folders and all screened for viruses. Neither my Android phone nor my ipad will do all that.

As for the nooby ipad philosophy- I decided the best was not to look for how I can make the ipad work like my laptop but use it for what it is good at, that it can do better than my laptop. That may mean following your lead and disable email.

Don Landis said:
There is much about the e-mail app that comes with ipad I don't like either. I think if I could load my outlook like I have on my Dell laptop, I'd like it better. I have a good rules section for folder archiving and a good junk mail screener. Today I junk about 300 emails a day and look at about 15 all neatly stored to proper folders and all screened for viruses. Neither my Android phone nor my ipad will do all that.

As for the nooby ipad philosophy- I decided the best was not to look for how I can make the ipad work like my laptop but use it for what it is good at, that it can do better than my laptop. That may mean following your lead and disable email.

Email for me is gmail, so managing it is easy. I do not like the mail app, and the gmail html5 app is only ok. It's kind of disappointing, but I understand why google would not want a great email app on iPad rather than android.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

rockymtnhigh said:
It's kind of disappointing, but I understand why google would not want a great email app on iPad rather than android.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
:) Something like what happened to Safari on my iPhone when I updated to iOS 4.3.1 last night. I went to search for something this morning, and was shocked to see Yahoo! instead of my usual Google. Apple added Yahoo! and Bing to the list of search providers and "decided to do me a favor" by changing my Safari options to use Yahoo!

Apple uses Google Maps, but I saw that Apple is evaluating a change in the Maps UI which could be code for using a different Maps source.

I suggest watching "iPad Today" over at TWiT. The shows are under an hour and show some of the tricks for using an iPad. They also evaluate a lot of the iPad apps and make a weekly recommendation for an app to try.

Definitely get GarageBand for your iPad, Rocky. Of course, you may have to share the iPad with your son...

:) Something like what happened to Safari on my iPhone when I updated to iOS 4.3.1 last night. I went to search for something this morning, and was shocked to see Yahoo! instead of my usual Google. Apple added Yahoo! and Bing to the list of search providers and "decided to do me a favor" by changing my Safari options to use Yahoo!

Apple uses Google Maps, but I saw that Apple is evaluating a change in the Maps UI which could be code for using a different Maps source.

I suggest watching "iPad Today" over at TWiT. The shows are under an hour and show some of the tricks for using an iPad. They also evaluate a lot of the iPad apps and make a weekly recommendation for an app to try.

Definitely get GarageBand for your iPad, Rocky. Of course, you may have to share the iPad with your son...

I was using google maps on the ipad last night while in Chicago, and it is definitely inferior to the version on the G Tab and my Droid. Serious bummer. It is nowhere near as featured. Kind of sucks.

I have garage band, but haven't really tried it yet. My kid has been begging to use the ipad, but I am holding off for now. :)

One thing I find really frustrating is that when I am trying to edit, it is really difficult to place the cursor in text to delete something or fix something. My Tab and Droid both have really nice contextual graphics that show up for you to drag the cursor, but the ipad is much more challenging. OR if you go into the itunes app store, and hit search, it always has the last text you searched. Equally frustrating. Small things, I know.

I was bummed that Fry's had virtually NO ipad 2 cases or sleeves, and did not even carry Zagg invisible shields. So I ended up ordering a shield from Amazon, and my ipad will have to go naked for a couple more days. I also agree with you that there needs to be two additional magnets in the middle; even with the less-expensive smart cover, it kind of comes loose in the middle.

There is much about the e-mail app that comes with ipad I don't like either. I think if I could load my outlook like I have on my Dell laptop, I'd like it better.....
I have Microsoft Office 07 Pro Plus on all my computers. I wish I could install it on my Pad as well.;)

Frank Jr. said:
I have Microsoft Office 07 Pro Plus on all my computers. I wish I could install it on my Pad as well.;)

That would be nice, :)

Documents to go works well though and is compatible with my dropbox, so I have full access to my entire 25gb of files.

The comments about the iOS Mail App are interesting to me. I guess I don't see the iPhone (in my case) as a replacement for e-Mail on the main computer. I actually use it to prune my e-mails so I'm pulling only the e-mails I want to my Mac. I've gotten pretty fast at looking at the sender or first two lines of the e-mail and deciding whether I want to read further or delete. Also, my Yahoo! e-mail (AT&T) account has a pretty good spam filter, so I occasionally need to look at "Bulk" to make sure that everything there is bunk. Every once in a while I'll forward something from work to my home account and Yahoo! tosses it into the spam bucket.

I do like how I can move e-mails from one account to another, with the exception of my work account (actually, I can move a message from work to home, but not the other way). I try to use separate accounts for shopping and web site registration to keep the amount of spam to my personal e-mail account at a reasonable level.

My wife tells me that we were entered into a drawing for an iPad 2 when we made our annual contribution to our local NPR station. I told her we used up our "freebie" karma when I won the 722K last year (thanks again, Scott & Eva!) so I'm not holding my breath. But I'll probably enter the DishPointer iPad 2 Give-away on Monday anyway... ;)

Foxbat said:
The comments about the iOS Mail App are interesting to me. I guess I don't see the iPhone (in my case) as a replacement for e-Mail on the main computer. I actually use it to prune my e-mails so I'm pulling only the e-mails I want to my Mac. I've gotten pretty fast at looking at the sender or first two lines of the e-mail and deciding whether I want to read further or delete. Also, my Yahoo! e-mail (AT&T) account has a pretty good spam filter, so I occasionally need to look at "Bulk" to make sure that everything there is bunk. Every once in a while I'll forward something from work to my home account and Yahoo! tosses it into the spam bucket.

I do like how I can move e-mails from one account to another, with the exception of my work account (actually, I can move a message from work to home, but not the other way). I try to use separate accounts for shopping and web site registration to keep the amount of spam to my personal e-mail account at a reasonable level.

My wife tells me that we were entered into a drawing for an iPad 2 when we made our annual contribution to our local NPR station. I told her we used up our "freebie" karma when I won the 722K last year (thanks again, Scott & Eva!) so I'm not holding my breath. But I'll probably enter the DishPointer iPad 2 Give-away on Monday anyway... ;)

I just think the interface on the mail app on the iPad is pretty lame. Don't know if it is the same on an iPhone, but the mail apps on the tab, and on the two droids I have used are just better. Not a big deal, just did not impressive me.

Good luck with the raffle!!!

Don't forget to update your sig!

Funny. I was going to do that. :)

Dang, I really am enjoying the ipad far more than I thought I would. The ipad-specific apps seem to have a lot more thought in them than some of the Android ones (kind of annoying actually). But I feel like I am cheating on a cherished companion. :D

(Sorry Roland -- somehow instead of hitting reply with quote, I selected EDIT, and managed to append my response to your post. Oops! :) )

Better watch out... Next thing you'll be hanging out at the Apple store with all those hot women. :D

When I was in Chicago, I walked into the Apple store looking for ipad 2 accessories, and I'll say, the place is just a bit too magical for me. ;) There were about 150 people in there though, compared with the Microsoft store about 100 yards away, which seemed mostly empty. No magic there at all. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)