poll june 12th the dtv transition date what will happen

june 12 what will happen

• Total voters
hope...conversion happens, nothing big happens

oh and Haller accepts it ;)

what will probably happen....conversion happens....a few folks lose their stations and the news makes it like armageddon is happening

I know some stations in my area are warning people that they are shutting down analog on that date no matter what. The fact that very few people have converted since the last extension should open the eyes of even the most naive politico in DC.

I saw Adelstein's tv interview in New Mexico online about a week ago. He said he was there because "it turns out" that NM has the highest population unready. To begin with, the estimates are based on households, not people, and I'm pretty sure he meant to say the highest percent, not the highest number. NY has a small percentage of unready households, but in terms of numbers, NM won't beat them. The interviewer asks Adelstein what the problem is, and he says "it turns out" (yeah, he used that expression twice) that there are a lot of translators, and those people won't be transitioning to digital on June 12. Well, duh! He adds that he still wants people to get their converter boxes before the coupon program stops in June...shortly after June. The man is extremely imprecise.

I hope the translator effect is not something he is just now thinking about. We have the same situation in Oregon, ~10% will stay analog. Months ago when there was all this panic about 10% not being ready, I expected somebody to bring up translators, but they did not. Nielsen would know who gets their signal via translator, but it doesn't appear that they took that into consideration.

With the new schedule, there's no need for me to stay up to see it happen. I have 4 stations flash cutting, and the last one plans to be done by half past noon on June 12.

Kinda reminds me when 8-tracks were replaced by the cassette tape. The transition came and went w/o a riot.

I'm in Oregon and our local translators went digital/high def about a month ago :)
Sure, the Eugene DMA went all digital.
I've had waiting for June to see what problems are coming with regards to multipath on a UHF-only for 8, 10 and 12.
And Portlanders can thank Merideth (owners of 12 and 49) for the wait. :mad:

Back on topic: The procrastinators will whine as usual, but the systems had been working fine for a while now on a lot of channels, FOR YEARS ALREADY.

Pull the analog power plug on the TV systems. GIT'ER DUN! :D

I think it will this time. For one thing, we haven't heard any serious talk whatsoever about another extension. For another I think the stations might scream bloody murder this time, especially the ones who are looking to get rid of a high-power UHF signal (which can be 20x more expensive to power than high VHF). And finally, the coupon program running out of money is no longer a convenient reason to delay, so the procrastinators have little excuse.

I'd lay at least 80% odds that it's a go this time. Our CBS and PBS have already pulled the plug on analog here in the Austin DMA.

Obama will address the nation, assuring the masses that everything will be ok, every thing will go smoothly, and if there are issues then the good ole Messiah will make sure that YOU HAVE TV....

I expect it to go smoothly, if it goes without another delay.

All the ads the stations are running reminding us of the switch all say we should re-scan after the switch. Does this mean the stations are going to switch frequencies for the digital signals they already are broadcasting?

All the ads the stations are running reminding us of the switch all say we should re-scan after the switch. Does this mean the stations are going to switch frequencies for the digital signals they already are broadcasting?
Not all stations will switch, but some percentage of stations will switch from their temporary UHF frequency back to their legacy VHF frequency. That's happening for two of our OKC stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)