Poll: Opinion of current VOOM Picture Quality with new Encoder?

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
What is your opinion of the current VOOM picture quality since the new encoders went on line?

Everything is fine on my end. PQ looks GREAT today!

Voomin via DVI at 720p on my Hitachi 50V500 :)

It is still fine here.
Maybe it looks a little bit softer, but no complains here.
I am sure they work on adjustments.
:cool:

As of last night and this morning, PQ was back to within 90% of pre-Harmonic encoders. Minor motion artifacts remain that didn't before.

However, some of the SD channels and Playboy HD were down right unwatchable. Not sure what's going on there.

IMO, PQ is better than last week, but not yet to the level that it was before the migration to Harmonic. According to Scott, Harmonic engineers are on-site working with VOOM on the tweaking, so there is hope :)

No where near as good as before the Harmonic migration and too sporadic .....one day a specific channel looks good....next day...mush.

I wish we, as paid subs, could hear something straight and on the level from Voom....and not from the CSRs and direct from those actually working on this. Sean?

That would go a long way in improving the general demeanor of those who are seeing the most problems with the signal. And I mean me. :)

I'm in Atlanta, and the picture quality still looks grainy and blocky on fast movements, so no, it's not as good as it was before the switch!

Picture looks excellent . Clearly some are having problems and others aren't.
Patrick

PQ is awesome tonight. Still some minor motion artifacts in heavy movement but the PQ is stunning.

I e-mailed Voom yesterday morning when the PQ was really bad and they e-mailed me back this morning and said they thought they had gotten all of the issues fixed.

Time will tell.

It HAS improved, but I'd say that we have some serious tweaking to get back to pre-harmonic... maybe 15 percent to go?

Man, this stuff is so subjective....

I wish there were an easy way to have us vote up/down on certain migration/harmonic caused artifacts.

My best comparison is a local OTA'd PBS channel that runs a very high bandwidth signal--and that consistently makes VOOM look down-rezzed.

Luck to all the VOOM tech-types so we can move forward with Harmonic and soon hit the MPEG 4 change.

[Well, if the company rolls onward... GRIN.]

Rick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts