Poll : What will DISH do with the new space?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I for one chose Dish many years back because they beat D* to the punch with Atlanta LIL. We moved into a new section of an older subdivision, and cable refused to run their wires down our little street due to there being only two houses on it (they did say they would run the cable if we footed the $1000+ bill). OTA is out of the question where I live due to the numerous hills in the terrain. I'm stuck with what I can get for LIL, and right now that is E* or D*. I think there are many others out there in a situation like mine, so the LIL HD is going to be a big factor.

I think LIL has tremendously helped both D* and E*. What would happen if they no longer offered it? Many people would leave them both. I would. I believe LIL HD has suddenly been made a priority with E* now that D* has made their announcements. A coworker of mine just dropped E* for D* yesterday because he was told by a D* CSR that Atlanta LIL HD is available NOW (? I don't think that's correct, is it?). That's all it took for him to plunk down the money for all new HD equipment and DVR, and E* just lost a subscriber that spent over $100 / month.

In short, I believe E* plans on introducing HD LIL. Whether this sat will host it or if it allows some shuffling of channels to make room elsewhere, I am not sure. D* made the announcement first, but I feel E* will try to make it out of the gate before them.

I chose "nothing" (because "one-dish" is listed there), but I think the best answer is "all of the above". I think the first priority will be "one-dish"; by moving all the East Coast locals to 61.5, they free up lots of TPs at 110/119 for other uses--whether it's HD LIL, more national HD, or more local markets (which isn't "crap" if it's YOUR market).

I voted for more national HD including East and West HD Networks feeds and this is how I think Dish should do it. Mirror the national HD on both 61.5 and 148 since there appears to be a great deal of room left on 148 to match the new space from Rainbow-1. After the E-10 satellite is up and operational, the locals on the wings will be moved to spotbeams at 110 W to satisfy the one dish for all locals in a market rule. This frees up additional space on the wings, enough to allow the use of the Rainbow-1 spotbeams to provide HD locals to the top markets without the conversion to MPEG-4. 148 would also have enough room to add one or two of the big West Coast markets to augment the Rainbow-1 spotbeams. This also allows Dish time to really develop MPEG-4 without rushing new receivers to market with extensive bugs. This would also placate the customers who bought the 921, 811 and soon to be released 942 because the life of these receivers would be extended. Another bonus for Dish is that it is much cheaper to add a D300 wing dish for a customer than a SuperDish and many of the longtime Dish HD customers already have D300s and wing configurations.

As a side note, it will be interesting what Dish does with the capacity on AMC-16 at 85 W, the additional capacity provided by AMC-15 at 105 W and after the E-10 satellite is operational, what is done with E-6/E-8 at 110 W and E-5 at 119. Certainly one of these satellite could be used to replace E-3 at 61.5 or E-1/E-2 at 148 or provide useable west coast capacity at 157 W.

ocnier said:
...and if the 2wire box actually works correctly out of the box (which is something I am starting to believe it might because of 2wire's reputation, certainly not dish's reputation).
I don't think that "direct" Dish subs will be able to get the 2Wire box. It's an SBC/2Wire venture for SBC Dish customers.

Is this asking "what WILL they do?" or "What SHOULD they do?"? I acutally think the later is the better question. I hate speculation polls.

Whatever makes them the most money which is locals at this time, not HD since most people still do not have HD televisions. Perhaps more space for two-way broadband satellite.

I think E* is going to attempt to match D* with LIL HD. Doesn't help us yokels any. Never mind there are millions of us, just not crammed into the same 100 square miles.

Stargazer said:
Whatever makes them the most money which is locals at this time, not HD since most people still do not have HD televisions. Perhaps more space for two-way broadband satellite.

What do you think? Is there more money selling locals to a market like Cheyenne, Wyoming, population 53,658, or selling an HD channel to an audience of HD sets spanning the whole country (including Cheyenne). I would guess that an entire set of local channels is equivalent to about an HD channel. In the SF Market, I get 20 locals which I am forced to subscribe to because I want OTA guide data. I'm guessing the average market has about 10 locals provided.

Wish list

1. ABC/Fox/ABC HD for O & Os
2. Universal HD
3. Cinemax HD
4. Starz HD
5. Fox Sports channels in HD (for those cities that have one active).
6. Playboy HD (since V*'s "exclusive deal should be going poof soon)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)