Poll - Which direction did everyone go?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which direction did you go after SA went dark?

• Sky Angel - IPTV

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • GloryStar

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • DISH Network

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Direct TV

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Cable (any)

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • FTA

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Which direction did everyone go?

I talked to my Pastor at church (who used to have SA on satellite) and he went with DISH's $20 family plan. He said he has been happy with it and the installer did a great job. He said he may block one channel but has not yet.

Anyway it got me thinking about what folks finally did post SA satellite.

Which direction did you go after SA satellite service went dark? BTW, you can vote for more than one.

i'm a jesus freak i love him so much. i have directv, fta glorystar and skyangel iptv plus the internet and also xm radio enlighten 34 (southern gospel music)
god bless
john

I voted DirecTV because we've had them in-house for five years now anyway...and they do have a pretty decent selection of Christian channels now (including four Christian XM channels).

As soon as we have a better Internet solution (c'mon Clearwire!!!), I'll be happy (I hope) to have Sky Angel IPTV. I miss having the choice of Christian radio stations that Sky Angel has.

Glorystar looks pretty good...but I'd like to see more variety of Christian radio on G* before I jump in on that one. I appreciate what they're doing and I know that the Assemblies of God & the Seventh Day Adventists have a lot to do with what's coming down from the G* birds. I appreciate their ministries a lot...but I hope we can see some stations similar to Bott Radio & maybe some CCM stations...a mix similar to what Sky Angel has/had. Just my 0.02!

I have Sky Angel IPTV and really love it. The range of programming is broader than before, so I make even more use of SA -- plus I'm retired now and home to enjoy it more. With an added FM transmitter and remote extender, I can listen to SA audio on every radio in my house, and the remote allows me to turn it on and change channels from anywhere in the house as well. I also enjoy the 48-hour review feature.

I have had cable all along.

I have another question to those of you who had Sky Angel. I never did. Does it aggravate you that the Sat TV programming disappeared? Did any of you pay that $500 lifetime sub?

As a lifetime subscriber I was disappointed to see SkyAngel disappear, but life has gone on. I have had Dishpix since 1998 so I have been watching more of it. Dish activated Angel 2, KTV and TBN as public information channels so I'm still able to see all the Christian TV I want.

The programs I watched on SkyAngel, that can't be found on one of the PI channels, I download as podcasts via my $10/month DSL subscription.

For music listening I am making more use of my music collection on iTunes and on my MP3 player. I am listening to my local Christian radio station more. By the way, many Christian radio stations can be listened to for free over the Internet without subscribing to SkyAngel.

I'm also viewing through what I recorded in the months leading up to the SkyAngel satellite shutdown and my DVD collection.

I toyed with the idea of going to Dishnetwork for their DishFamily package or the Essential Service, but hesitated since several people I know have had a bad experience with Dish in this area. So we have stuck with our Digital OTA, which has approximately 20 channels(4 of these are Ion and it's substations, which includes the worship netowork) To supplement we have also borrowed a few of the 800+ TV on DVD selections that our Public Library has( Some we consider inappropriate for our family) and we have started an informal DVD trading club among our friends. It meets our needs for our family, since we really don't watch much TV. However, I do miss having more Christian Programming, as we did with SkyAngel.

Katybug

really ticked off here, and if anyone sues i will be happy to add my name

sorry christian organizations shouldnt screw the public

I went with Dish Essential Service & locals & Cinemax all for like $15 a month and will put up a FTA antenna when able for GloryStar.

OTOH I'm at mom's this week and she has Direct TV and it seems to have better Christian programming than SA ever did. And if you count the cost of a 1.5+ Gig connection with the $20 IPTV you're about at what Total Choice costs.

I think mom is much better off just subbing to D* because it's easier for her than trying to get used to a FTA setup or internet related issues.

I was already a Dish customer plus I have an FTA system and can get all the GloryStar channels with it. Oh, and the local TBN affiliate has five subchannels.

Switching to IPTV would require getting cable internet access. That cost and the cost of two IPTV receivers to meet our needs make it too expensive.

I have been reluctant to change and have lobbied Dish Network to expand their Christian programming to at least meet the competition. But now am considering switching to Direct TV and take advantage of their current new subscriber promotion.

Direct TV appears to have considerably more Christian channels. For those who have made the switch to Direct TV, I would like to know your opinion of the differences between the two lineups and if you think based on that alone, it is worth making the switch.

Total mis-characterization of what happened.......
not really a mis-characterization, just not telling what has been on these forums for the past year telling about SA not being totally honest with their subs. Wouldn't say that they screwed the public, although that might be a little harsh, and in some eyes that's exactly what they did......I choose to give them a little break saying they just didn't watch over their finances prudently and when they were in trouble they didn't let their subs know their financial difficulties. If they had, there would have been many stepped up to the plate to their defense monetarily.

I feel it also gets into 'being in tuned to what God wants them to do' and God would never approve deception of their customers. After SA would have spilled their sour grapes, then it would have been up to the subs......LT'ers and Monthly........to search their hearts and step up to the plate to help SA out. God would have provided a way, the way that SA chose wasn't God's best.

C and Ku band FTA

I'm fortunate to have enough yard for a C-band dish.

There are only a few religious channels on Sky Angel that I can't get with my BUD, but who needs Gospel Music Television when you can get JCTV?

My FTA system also allows me to catch some live feeds from time to time.

Switching to IPTV would require getting cable internet access. That cost and the cost of two IPTV receivers to meet our needs make it too expensive.

I have been reluctant to change and have lobbied Dish Network to expand their Christian programming to at least meet the competition. But now am considering switching to Direct TV and take advantage of their current new subscriber promotion.

Direct TV appears to have considerably more Christian channels. For those who have made the switch to Direct TV, I would like to know your opinion of the differences between the two lineups and if you think based on that alone, it is worth making the switch.

I think that if you can't or don't want to go FTA and the local OTA free channels aren't enough for you then D* is the best package available today. Mom has it and is well pleased with the channels offered. OTOH she's not much into music channels, which D* doesn't seem to have for Christians outside of 1 or 2 XM channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)