Poor HD Picture

That is a cause of motion blur? Might want to rethink this statement.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
He is basically correct. And this is why:
Motion blur is present in all MPEG transmission signals. The severity is directly proportional to the bit rate and scene complexity. Satellite has a relativity low bit rate per channel which results in considerable motion blur. Blue-ray has a very high bit rate and very little motion blur.

i wonder how many techs got charged back during this tv 'shopping' experience?
That is an issue between techs and their employer over poor work rules. If a customer is seeing a problem with PQ, he is certainly within his rights to contact CS. If the company penalizes its workers for things out of the workers' control, that's just f-ed up treatment of employees, and not the customer's fault.

I suppose you could call that effect motion blur (I wouldn't), that is not the problem I was thinking the op was describing. I could be wrong.

I was talking about motion blur and LCD as it relates to refresh ratio, which is generally what is meant when using the term.

i wonder how many techs got charged back during this tv 'shopping' experience?
The PQ was not the only issue. My VOD still does not work, and it took 2 weeks for them to decide that it is a known issue that will be fixed via software update. Since the techs tried to downplay the PQ, the main reason they were dispatched was for the broadband problems. Plus, it took 4 techs before they decided to actually check my lines which in fact needed to be replaced because it wasn't rated at 3ghz. If the first 3 technicians would have done their jobs and actually tried to fix the issue like the most recent technician did, the conclusion of the software update would most likely have been reached sooner. The PQ bothered me, but the VOD issue is equally as frustrating. As far as I am concerned, the first 3 technicians did not do their jobs and that is on them. They reset the boxes or replaced them, and left without seeing what the VOD would do. If I skimped on my duties at work I would be reprimanded, so I don't see why it should be any different. Of course I had to keep calling into tech support after the issues were unresolved after each visit, and each one was noted that they had left without the issue being fixed. Again, they chose to do the bare minimum. If they are reprimanded, then it is on them for not making sure the issues were resolved to the best of their abilities before taking off. The most recent tech replaced the line, the node, and sat here on the phone with advanced tech support until they said he had done everything he could (at least the picture had stopped freezing after his repairs). I made sure that the executive customer service rep notated that the most recent tech had in fact done everything he could, and did not leave until he had exhausted every avenue in the attempt to fix the problems.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that Panasonic did not leave the TV business like they said they would, and that plasma is still alive, as well.
They never planned to exit TV altogether (speculation and rumor). Plasma remains, and large screen LCD manufacturing is being retooled for OLED.

Nice choice. I have the P60ST30, which is the line one step below GT. ST30 is also 1 or 2 model years prior to GT50. I am extremely happy with it. So, I can assume you will like yours.I'm glad to see that Panasonic did not leave the TV business like they said they would, and that plasma is still alive, as well. (Panasonic LCD TV's are fairly crappy, though, which is weird.) It looked like California's new EPA laws might have been too tough for plasma. But, just like with increasing auto emissions and mileage standards, the manufacturers somehow always manage to meet them despite their whining and crying that it's impossible.
I'm sure it will be great. Everything I've read seemed to point toward Panasonic, and it was one of the highest rated online. Now I just have to decide if I want to pay Best Buy $250 to "professionally" calibrate it. I've never had dealings with their Geek Squad employees.

I have a 50" version of the gt30, and am VERY pleased with it. Also have a 46 " version of the next model down. they are great sets.

I have never experienced it with normal brightness and contrast settings on my LG. Only way I could think of to make it happen is to freeze on a dark/bright image and let it sit too long.

Or spending too much time on channels with static images. I spend upwards of 200 hours washing the screen on my LG with video "snow" after watching 40 or so Phillies games on CSN in 2011. The score bar with the CSN logo and the baseball diamond graphic had burnt in across the top of the picture. That was with 'normal' brightness (49) and contrast (55). The TV was a year old with over 1500 hours on it when it happened. Watching movies with the "CSN" logo in the upper right corner got old very quickly.

I'm sure it will be great. Everything I've read seemed to point toward Panasonic, and it was one of the highest rated online. Now I just have to decide if I want to pay Best Buy $250 to "professionally" calibrate it. I've never had dealings with their Geek Squad employees.

If you choose to calibrate it I would have someone other than Geek Squad but that's just me. I find the THX mode pretty close myself for movie viewing in a darkened room and have adjusted the other modes to accommodate varying lighting conditions. My settings for the "Standard" mode are adequate for most viewing during subdued daylight & evenings with house lighting. I have adjusted the "Custom" mode for very bright days with a lot of ambient sunlight from windows & glassed doors. I use my tweaked out "Cinema" mode occasionally for a movie or other on Dish if the particular show appears more natural. FWIW, I adjusted the Cinema mode to display very close to THX but note that the pixel orbiter is disabled in THX. I have no use for the Vivid or Game modes & left them untouched. There are a number of good calibration articles on the net as well as good calibration disks.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I have had a Panasonic plasma for two years now. Best tv I have ever owned. It is fantastic! I do quite a bit of gaming on my 360 and have never had any issues. Save yourself the money on a geek squad calibration. They do a horrible job of it. Just use thx for the time being and if you want more, hire a professional calibrator to come in and calibrate the set.

I have been eyeing plasmas for a while now, but I'll probably never pull the trigger. I don't need a heater in my living room while my AC is trying to keep the house cool in this Florida heat. :(

I have been eyeing plasmas for a while now, but I'll probably never pull the trigger. I don't need a heater in my living room while my AC is trying to keep the house cool in this Florida heat. :(

You know, I've never noticed the heat from the 2 plasmas in the house, as much as I do from the fan cooling the bulb in my Mits DLP. We get the same 100-110 degree temps with high humidity in the summers here in Oklahoma

Thanks for the advice about calibration, I will research the calibration discs and use the THX setting. About the heat, we are in Phoenix so I know where you are coming from. We lived in Ft. Lauderdale for about a year while my partner was on a job there, I definitely don't miss that humidity! It feels like an oven here during the summer, but the dry heat is much easier for me to deal with.

It's really not that bad. You have to be right up against the front to feel it.And, the PQ is worth it for me.

You know, I've never noticed the heat from the 2 plasmas in the house, as much as I do from the fan cooling the bulb in my Mits DLP. We get the same 100-110 degree temps with high humidity in the summers here in Oklahoma
My house is generally pretty cool, even in the summer. And, the heat emanating from the front of my plasma TV's are quite noticeable. But, not from a distance. Only when standing directly in front, or walking past within inches of the glass.

While they put out heat, it would be nothing that would add to the overall warmth of your home, so I would not let that be a hold up for you. As has been posted, unless you are within a few inches of it, it is a non issue.

My response is coming from a place with very similar heat and summer conditions. :)

Had our Panasonic set delivered on Saturday. My only regret is not going with plasma sooner! Everything looks amazing on this thing, very pleased with our purchase. I also completed my transition to Centurylink DSL service, no change as far as the VOD is concerned. I am running at 37.5 down and 4-5 up. Everything I try to download fails. The DSL came with a new gateway, so I assume we can rule out the ISP and router. Dish is standing by their conclusion that it is an issue they will address with an update, so I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. The technician dispatched my LG cannot find anything wrong with the 55 inch LED, but I am still happier with the Panasonic anyway :). Thank you to everyone for all of the help.

HNIC not in HD?

DOES NYC SPOTBEAM 3 COVER KENT COUNTY DELAWARE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts