Poor image quaility on Rear Projection TV

Sparty

Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I had my 522 (and 322) installed about a month ago. Both are located in a basement utility room, so I am using all UHF remotes. Although I could list a half-dozen irritances, the 522 works pretty well. I have it connected to 2 tv's in dual mode. The picture quality on my 8 year old 25" tube is exceptional, way better than cable. But the quality on my 40" Toshiba HDTV (rear projection) is poor. The image appears highly digitized (large pixels) and fragmented, especially during high-action scenes. For example, I was watching a football game, and the grass never seems to come into focus, while the camera is panning. It does the same with the moving players. It is better when watching the news or something, when the image is a person hardly moving. My guess is that it related to the MPEG compression not keeping up or something. Any thoughts??? I am very disappointed right now.

Sparty

Welcome, sparty :) Welcome to the world where your TV is better than your signal. You can have your set calibrated and that will improve PQ or get an Avia calibration dvd and try to optimize it your self. Otherwise you will have to upgrade to an hd receiver to realize your Toshiba's full potential. Realize that right now dish-net or E* has HBO, SHO, ESPN, TNT(part time)discovery HD and HDNet and HDNet movies ava to you (also CBS HD if you get waivers) D* or direct TV has the same right now but foxhd and others are coming. There is a third provider V* or Voom that has quite a few HD channels, Surf the forums here for more info :)

The only times I've had pixelization on my big screen RPTV was due to signal strength issues.

If you have a good signal, you should not get pixelization on your big screen regardless of whether you're using a 322, 522 or 811 etc.

And another thing...

Do you think it might have to do with the distance from my receiver to the tv? 30-40 feet of coax separates them. I mean come on...the cable signal I had before satellite may have been a bit grainy, but it was not this bad.

Also, will any of the software upgrades being discussed on this site help with the stutter I am getting during DVR playback of high action scenes. Example, watching Olympic swimming on about a 30 minute DVR delay gave me a frequent stutter (approx. every 15 seconds).

Sparty said:
Do you think it might have to do with the distance from my receiver to the tv? 30-40 feet of coax separates them. I mean come on...the cable signal I had before satellite may have been a bit grainy, but it was not this bad.

Also, will any of the software upgrades being discussed on this site help with the stutter I am getting during DVR playback of high action scenes. Example, watching Olympic swimming on about a 30 minute DVR delay gave me a frequent stutter (approx. every 15 seconds).
You are inputing with coax?

Coax from dish to receiver, coax from receiver to tv. My installer didn't think it would be an issue.

Sparty said:
Coax from dish to receiver, coax from receiver to tv. My installer didn't think it would be an issue.
Move Receiver to tv. Get a svhs/s-video cable and an rca cable and hook your receiver up with those, you will be amazed.(if not sure what those are go to radio shack or even wally world and they will have them.) Or better yet call your installer and demand that he fix it right!.

Yeah - what dfergie says!

ONce you hook up with a good set of connections, you'll see a big difference. :)

S-Video if your TV has it, composite (yellow RCA) if not.

I have the same issues as you on a 54" RPTV. I've asked questions here on how to improve picture quality and, although much appreciated, none have helped. I dropped the $45 on the Avia disk...no difference and now my picture colors look funny to me, but, dammit, they're calibrated! ;) I've ordered a new LNB and I've bought all new cables. I'm going to hook all that up when the LNB arrives. If that doesn't solve it, the 522 goes back to E*. I had D* previously and had no problems with image quality on the same TV. I'll give them another shot I guess. Oh, and I'm hooked up with composite cables. I can't afford to spend a couple grand a new TV just because the PQ from the 522 is off...but that's just me. :cool:

SimpleSimon said:
If you've got a signal strength greater than 80 (green bar & locked), new LNBFs will not help - nor will new satellite feed cables.
I didn't figure it would, but I wanted to try every possible aspect of this. I've seen another post (can't recall if it was here or some place else) where someone replaced his LNB and the PQ problems went away. I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Gives me a project for the weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts