Port failure on new 4-port switch, suggestions? Better brand replacement?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bob2011

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hudson Valley NY
I finally installed the 4 port diseqc switch that came with my CNX Nano to tie all my dishes together and port 3 is bad. I first thought it was an issue with the c-band LNB but I switched that to another port and it worked fine. So after looking through previous threads on this topic it is either the quality of the switch or my 200 foot run of cable.

I probably will replace the switch but its hard to find any stats or rankings of them. I see Spaun is probably the best but at $50 that's a little crazy. The Chietas recommended in past threads now seem to have poor construction/bootleg issues. Most of the $5 ones seem to have the same label shape which leads me to believe they come from the same Chinese factory.

I finally installed the 4 port diseqc switch that came with my CNX Nano to tie all my dishes together and port 3 is bad. I first thought it was an issue with the c-band LNB but I switched that to another port and it worked fine. So after looking through previous threads on this topic it is either the quality of the switch or my 200 foot run of cable.

Its easy to blow a port on any diseq if you leave power on to the lnb while connecting or disconnecting any cable to the switch. The 4x1 that tend to come with FTA stb's are really low end so you can pop ports by looking at them. If you don't need all 4 ports the switch still will work fine on the other 3 ports.

The selling point for Chieta was lower signal loss relative to the cheaper options so if you can get a real one, I'd think it worth it, especially with your long cable run.

That low loss of the Chieta was what really interested me but previous topics on this brand seem to indicate the only way to tell the good from the bad is to weigh it.

Looking at the WSI deal I really like the case as there are no cable bends and the connectors are fully covered.

The positives for the EMP are they have a real website and its not made in China. My only concern is that the ebay sellers say the insertion loss is 3 db while the company website shows it is 8 db.

The proof is in what you get back to the receiver, every time a salesperson's lips move...lies come out. Most of the bargain stuff out there have exaggerated claims for noise, loss ect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.