Port Forwarding ???

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
I accidentally got into installing a few video surveillance systems here lately. Been using high quality infrared, bullet style, wired cameras and dvrs charging reasonable prices and making a nice profit, kind of on the cusp of possibly making a business out of it. My only problem is I'm not familiar with port forwarding to allow for remote viewing via internet. It is kind of a major selling point. I am going to install a system for myself this week so I will be able to know it inside & out. Can anyone give me a crash course in port forwarding or at least explain the process. Thanks in advance.

I accidentally got into installing a few video surveillance systems here lately. Been using high quality infrared, bullet style, wired cameras and dvrs charging reasonable prices and making a nice profit, kind of on the cusp of possibly making a business out of it. My only problem is I'm not familiar with port forwarding to allow for remote viewing via internet. It is kind of a major selling point. I am going to install a system for myself this week so I will be able to know it inside & out. Can anyone give me a crash course in port forwarding or at least explain the process. Thanks in advance.

Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

Lots of great info there.

One important thing to note is that you will probably need something like DynDNS @ Every site so that you can access based on a name rather than an IP address. IP addresses can change, and DynDNS would help you keep the DNS entry updated for you.

If this all sounds like gibberish to you, I don't think you're quite ready for implementing this beyond yourself. OTOH, if you're with me on what this is and why it needs to happen it's worth considering.

Yes, using DDNS built into many Routers is the way to go, and have the camera software get it's report from that. IF they have a static IP no need to worry about hat. Just being honest, if you don't understand principles of static IP and dynamic IP's, port forwarding or UPnP and UPnP forwarding etc... maybe get some basic understanding before charging anyone for a set-up. If not done correctly what works one day may very well not the next. Depending on the just how important the surveillance is and the system, using QOS can help if the Router supports it. Some systems will not connect over the internet if there is not enough of a stream even though technically nothing else prevents from connecting. It can be frustrating if you don't think of that........ Should not be a problem with Cable internet, and again depends on the system, commercial application vs private home.......

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses. Will have my system in place by the end of the week so I will have something to work with. Routers are not completely above my realm, but will need some guidance.
So with DDNS on a dynamic IP, it won't lose it when IP changes? John K mentioned DynDNS for name based instead of IP, seems that would be a better option for folks with a dynamic IP. Any thoughts on a minimum upstream speed for quality remote viewing?

DynDNS is a safe option for static IP as well.

Another thought to make it easier, you might want to get your own domain, and have unique assignments. I don't know how costly the long term is on this, but it is something worth considering.

Then you could connect to:
cust1.yourdomain.com
cust2.yourdomain.com

etc etc etc.

So with DDNS on a dynamic IP, it won't lose it when IP changes? John K mentioned DynDNS for name based instead of IP, seems that would be a better option for folks with a dynamic IP.
It "maps" the dynamic IP address, no matter what it changes to or how often it changes, to a domain name that you select, such as stardust-cam1.no-ip.org. That way, instead of having to find out dynamic IP is currently assigned, since it can change hourly, daily, weekly, you or the client simply goes to that web address vs going to http://207.15.312.44/.

Well I managed to fumble my way through this. I enabled upnp on the router and dvr and have access over lan, haven't tried internet yet. While working on this I discovered ddrt on my router actually keeps track of bandwidth usage. That is a pretty neat feature. Any disadvantage of letting upnp configure port forwarding? I did leave dvr on dhcp. If I change it to static and my public ip changes, will this change anything? Also I noticed in router "teredo" it started off with 1 & now there is several. What is this? I noticed it has my laptop ip beside it.

upnp.PNG

Ok well I thought everything was good until today and could not remote view with laptop or phone that works great on LAN. Feel certain issue is in setup on home network. Router has ddrt and configuration was done with upnp. Confused as to what is next.......or where to start. DDNS has been mentioned & wondering if that is the route I should be concentrating on. Possibly a service like this...Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS, it does cost $$ & was hoping for a free route. I appreciate all the responses & the help. What is my next move?

Success......had to bridge dsl modem to let router handle everything. Also set up dyndns account and that is sweet, dynamic ip has already changed but dvr has never missed a beat. This was a good learning experience, thanks for the replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)