Westell DSL modem & Port forwarding

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
My old DSL modem, which was a Speed stream, crapped out about a week ago. It was replaced with a Westell 6100. All is good except I cannot view my security cams outside my local network. I know why, just don't know how to fix it. The camera DVR requires 3 ports to be forwarded. It appears the modem is blocking port forwarding. Everything else works great. I didn't have this issue with the Speed stream. Called AT&t, and they wanted to charge me 50 bucks because it involved making changes in my Netgear router. I said screw that. Been trying to get help through google, but not having any luck. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

A DSL modem (and your 6100 is just a modem, not an all-in-one modem-router) has nothing to do with port forwarding.
Your router (Netgear) does.

To simplify: you try to come in from the outside (WAN port) with a browser to see the cameras.
The router has to know what member of the internal network needs this request redirected to.
Port forwarding does just that: requests on port XXXX get sent to the device with the IP such and such.

Diogen.

Well, I looked at this picture (from here)

image83518.gif

and thought since it has just one ethernet jack it must be a modem only.
I guess I was wrong. My bad.

Diogen.

No problem. The only reason I was sure it was a router too was that it was what I had when I had DSL and they set it up to be the router. I later changed it to operate in bridge mode and use my Airport Extreme for routing purposes.

lparsons21 said:
No problem. The only reason I was sure it was a router too was that it was what I had when I had DSL and they set it up to be the router. I later changed it to operate in bridge mode and use my Airport Extreme for routing purposes.

That's the set up I have now. Just got my 1 TB Time capsule set up last night. Had to put the Westell in bridge mode. Now I can't even view my cameras through my internal network. The router gave the DVR an IP, but when I type it into my browser I get the" cannot connect to page" message.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

diogen said:
A DSL modem (and your 6100 is just a modem, not an all-in-one modem-router) has nothing to do with port forwarding.
Your router (Netgear) does.

To simplify: you try to come in from the outside (WAN port) with a browser to see the cameras.
The router has to know what member of the internal network needs this request redirected to.
Port forwarding does just that: requests on port XXXX get sent to the device with the IP such and such.

Diogen.

I realize that. As I stated before, all was good when I had the speed stream. The only devices I cannot get to now from the outside world are the ones that need port forwarding. I can get to my Dish receivers just fine. I am with you though. I had no idea the Westell is considered a router. Looks like just another DSL modem. Mine is a little different than the one in your pic. Mine doesn't have the USB port.

Last edited:
That's the set up I have now. Just got my 1 TB Time capsule set up last night. Had to put the Westell in bridge mode. Now I can't even view my cameras through my internal network. The router gave the DVR an IP, but when I type it into my browser I get the" cannot connect to page" message.

If you need to do port forwarding to the cameras, you do that with the Airport Utility under 'advanced' and select 'port mapping'. Then when you want to look at the camera, you would need to tell the browser the ip address:port # to get to it, or at least I think that is the way that you do it.

lparsons21 said:
If you need to do port forwarding to the cameras, you do that with the Airport Utility under 'advanced' and select 'port mapping'. Then when you want to look at the camera, you would need to tell the browser the ip address:port # to get to it, or at least I think that is the way that you do it.

I did the port mapping. I think I did it right?. I didn't have to include the port # with the ip with the Netgear router when viewing the cams inside my network. . I'll try it that way when I get home later. Thanks.

Claude Greiner said:
Go on ebay, and buy a used speed stream modem. Problem solved!

I think I'm going to do just that. I have a few more things to work out with the new Time Capsule first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)