Ipad or kindle?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Buzzdar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
USA
Which one is better for e book reading. iPad or Kindle? I don't need a debate over features just why you choose one over the other.

Kindle is better for ebook reading. If you are only wanting books then both could be viable readers but if you want to also include magazine subscriptions from Amazon, the Kindle is your only choice right now.

If you're only going to be using it for ebooks, definitely go with the Kindle. Its screen is as close to print on paper as you can get. Reading on an ipad for any amount of time hurts your eyes. Then there's the problems with glare and non-readability in bright light.

Only plus that I would give the iPad for ebooks is that you can get them from more sources that just Amazon. You can also use the books designed for the Nook as well. I am not sure if there are books that are exclusive for either of the readers.

I've got an iPad and Nook and have found that I never use the Nook these days. The e-ink is great in very good light on the Nook (same screen as Kindle), but in any kind of reduced lighting, I find it intolerable. I found myself using a clip-on reading light almost all the time.

On the iPad, I don't find the backlit screen to be an issue for my old eyes and I can read anywhere except in direct sunlight.

On the iPad, I don't find the backlit screen to be an issue for my old eyes and I can read anywhere except in direct sunlight.

Yep. I'm now into my '60s and finding that my low light vision is fading fast. I can use the ipad in poorly lit rooms where the kindle is all but useless to me. If not for the ipad, I would have a lot more reading lights scattered these days.

Of course, the ipad is also most useful for other things as well.

If you mainly want to read books, the Kindle wins hands down. The light weight and e-ink display make it a great way to read from Amazon's great selection. However, if you want something that can do more, an iPad or Android tablet may be better. Don't forget that basically every device has a Kindle app available, so you can get all the same books whether you use an actual Kindle or a tablet.

I can't speak to iBooks or the Nook app, but one feature that I think many people overlook on the Kindle is that a number of their books have text to speech, basically turning it into an audio book read by a possessed person. I've used it very often with my Kindle when I want to read/listen to a book while I have to do other things like clean around the house or watch my daughter. Hell you can use it in your car as well with the right cord. A big caveat to this though is that not every Kindle book has this, unless you want to be a little bad and go get DRM-free books from the internet.

Nook can replace rechargeable battery.
Kindle must send entire unit to the factory.

Nook can easily add PDF books from your Windows or Linux computer to the Nook with USB cable.
Kindle you must email them to your Kindle. (According to a person who just bought one). Because Kindle has to convert them to their own format. (Proprietary issues).

Nook compatible with downloads from Public Libraries.
Kindle NOT compatible with downloads from public libraries.

Nook You can play MP3's - Simple USB transfer
Kindle ? You must email to yourself?

Both have E-Ink and both are same price. Nook the better deal for reasons listed above.

Nook can easily add PDF books from your Windows or Linux computer to the Nook with USB cable.
Kindle you must email them to your Kindle. (According to a person who just bought one). Because Kindle has to convert them to their own format. (Proprietary issues).

Both have E-Ink and both are same price.
Which Kindle are you referring to? I've been able to transfer numerous books (DRM removed) and files to the 3rd Generation Kindle simply by plugging it into my computer. Also, the 2 cheapest Kindles cost less than the e-ink based Nook ($149 > $139)

Kindle is a Kindle.

iPad is a sort-of computer that can run Kindle along with tons of other things.

I can also run Kindle on my hackintosh and my windows pc.

Screen quality aside, I can't think of any other reason for wanting the standalone device.

Pepper said:
Kindle is a Kindle.

iPad is a sort-of computer that can run Kindle along with tons of other things.

I can also run Kindle on my hackintosh and my windows pc.

Screen quality aside, I can't think of any other reason for wanting the standalone device.

Weight, size (portability), lesser price point, battery life all come to mind. The Kindle is excellent for reading, especially in bright conditions. If most reading will be in dim or dark conditions then you'll either need a separate light for it to be readable.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am going to a track meet this afternoon, which means lots of dead time. I'll bring my Kindle, because the iPad is basically useless outside in bright sunlight. The Kindle, on the other hand, is flawless, and easy on the eyes.

That said, I use the Kindle for iPad pretty much all the time when I am inside. Not because it is a better e-reader; it isn't. But because I can multi-task, i.e., read books, check email, satguys, twitter, etc... but if I just want to sit and read, then its the Kindle.

Different devices, different uses. Both great at what they do. When I got my iPad (and Galaxy Tab before it) my wife said, why don't you give your Kindle to our son? I said, sorry, I'm keeping both. She now has the Tab, but prefers the Kindle for reading. e-ink is so much easier on the eyes.

I looked at a number of different devices to read with. I chose an iphone. Here's why:
Kindle app
Back lit
Fits in my pocket and I'm probably going to have it with me anyway.
Overdrive app, let's you download library books directly to your device.
All the other apps.
Price, my out of pocket cost for a used 3g iphone was $30.
There are apps for all the other ereaders available on the iphone (or touch). kindle app, nook app, google app, ibook app, etc (kindle is the best though)

I seriously considered getting a kindle. The only good argument I find for getting a kindle is 3g (if you pay more for a 3g kindle). Download your books for free from anywhere. Use the kindle browser for free, over 3g, to surf the net. I've never tried the kindle browser. It likely stinks. Still, free 3g internet is free 3g internet.

Now, you're probably saying an iphone's screen is too small to read on, but you can size the font to however large you need. You just turn the page more often. The other argument is eye strain. A lighted screen can cause eye strain. I just turn the brightness way down.

I looked at a number of different devices to read with. I chose an iphone. Here's why:
Kindle app
Back lit
Fits in my pocket and I'm probably going to have it with me anyway.
Overdrive app, let's you download library books directly to your device.
All the other apps.
Price, my out of pocket cost for a used 3g iphone was $30.
There are apps for all the other ereaders available on the iphone (or touch). kindle app, nook app, google app, ibook app, etc (kindle is the best though)

I seriously considered getting a kindle. The only good argument I find for getting a kindle is 3g (if you pay more for a 3g kindle). Download your books for free from anywhere. Use the kindle browser for free, over 3g, to surf the net. I've never tried the kindle browser. It likely stinks. Still, free 3g internet is free 3g internet.

Now, you're probably saying an iphone's screen is too small to read on, but you can size the font to however large you need. You just turn the page more often. The other argument is eye strain. A lighted screen can cause eye strain. I just turn the brightness way down.

The choice of an iPhone or Droid for an e-reader is definitely a strange one. It reminds me of when I used to use my Palm PDA as a e-reader. Sure it works the way you say, but nowhere near as "book-like" in terms of the experience. And the LCD screens are no way as easy on the eyes as e-ink for long-term reading.

But to each his own. :)

The choice of an iPhone or Droid for an e-reader is definitely a strange one. It reminds me of when I used to use my Palm PDA as a e-reader. Sure it works the way you say, but nowhere near as "book-like" in terms of the experience. And the LCD screens are no way as easy on the eyes as e-ink for long-term reading.

I think the $30 price tag and the various ebook apps were the main selling point.

My son uses the iphone by choice. It is always with him and he doesn't want to load down on tech gear like the white knight. I think it might be an age thing as I doubt it will be as attractive as he turns 40.

Me, I had to increase default font size on my ipad reader.

Nook can replace rechargeable battery.
Kindle must send entire unit to the factory.

Nook compatible with downloads from Public Libraries.
Kindle NOT compatible with downloads from public libraries.

Both have E-Ink and both are same price. Nook the better deal for reasons listed above.
ebooks are $2 cheaper at Amazon..they just announced a for later this summer

And for the record, you can replace the battery on a Kindle. I did it. Ordered a battery, it came with a small tool to open it up, and the battery was replaced in about 5 minutes. was pretty easy, and the kindle was good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts