Portable Hard Drive without External Power works on Hopper

HeadRush

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I had tried to connect my 4 year old portable EHD to my 722 before I upgraded to the Hopper and it wouldn't recognize the drive because it did not have external power. However, I just tried the same drive on both of my Hoppers and it works perfectly. Has this requirement changed or am I living on borrowed time without an external power supply...? I just copy a significant number of shows to it without a hitch. It sure is more convenient than having to deal with finding available power, especially if you are changing which Hopper it's connected to.

I had tried to connect my 4 year old portable EHD to my 722 before I upgraded to the Hopper and it wouldn't recognize the drive because it did not have external power. However, I just tried the same drive on both of my Hoppers and it works perfectly. Has this requirement changed or am I living on borrowed time without an external power supply...? I just copy a significant number of shows to it without a hitch. It sure is more convenient than having to deal with finding available power, especially if you are changing which Hopper it's connected to.

Requirement is still the same, powered ehd. To be safe I personally wouldn't use a non powered. I think it could eventually burn our the usb port I would think, but I'm not certain on that.

I agree completely...while it may work now, there's no guarantee it will work a month from now. A powered EHD is the way to go.

Others have reported initial success, only to have it fail (not recognized) later. Use a powered drive.

This has been discussed with Dish's previous receivers. It may work but I personally would use a drive with a power supply or hook the drive to a powered hub.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

With a Wii U when a USB drive does the low power beep, the way to get it to work is plug the drive into a hub. Then plug the hub into the WiiU and the drive is powered and functioning normaly. And this is with an un-powered USB hub.

With a Wii U when a USB drive does the low power beep, the way to get it to work is plug the drive into a hub. Then plug the hub into the WiiU and the drive is powered and functioning normaly. And this is with an un-powered USB hub.

I like your avatar of the robot, Doc. I take it you are a fan of Lost in Space too , like I am?

No, I meant exactly what I said and Mike understood it! :D

I am sure you, I, mike, and doctorwizz all understood that it was Dr Smith making that remark. I only meant to point out that doctorwizz's avatar, The Robot, did not.

I keep reading these posts about burning a USB port out and am somewhat dumbfounded.

These external drives are designed to operate fully within the USB specs so they won't draw more current it voltage than the disc allows for.

If that burns out the USB port, the hopper isn't operating correctly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Dish equipment wasn't designed to power an external hard drive and doesn't put out enough power to support most EHDs power requirements.

Then it isn't USB compliant.

I have yet to see an external bus powered EHD cause an issue as they are designed to operate on the available bus power (500 milliamp / don't remember the voltage).

These are 2.5" drives and fit within the power envelope. I haven't seen a bus powered 3.5" drive due to their power requirements.

Maybe I'm confused, and please correct me if I am, but how about this situation?

I have an iPad, it uses an Apple USB cable to connect to my PC and charge with the charger base. My laptop has USB ports that I would assume are USB complaint, but my PC USB ports to not put out enough power to charge my iPad. Do this mean my PC USB ports are not USB complaint, or is this something completely different? I have multiple friends with the same issue and we can all charge iPhones using the same USB ports.

Then it isn't USB compliant.

I have yet to see an external bus powered EHD cause an issue as they are designed to operate on the available bus power (500 milliamp / don't remember the voltage).

These are 2.5" drives and fit within the power envelope. I haven't seen a bus powered 3.5" drive due to their power requirements.

It's nothing to do with USB compliance. It's to do with the PSU simply does not put out enough power to sustain unpowered drives. The receivers are not full-fledged computers but rather specialized hardware designed to serve specific purposes. Powering external hard drives is not one of those purposes.

Maybe I'm confused, and please correct me if I am, but how about this situation?

I have an iPad, it uses an Apple USB cable to connect to my PC and charge with the charger base. My laptop has USB ports that I would assume are USB complaint, but my PC USB ports to not put out enough power to charge my iPad. Do this mean my PC USB ports are not USB complaint, or is this something completely different? I have multiple friends with the same issue and we can all charge iPhones using the same USB ports.

The iPad charger outputs 2 amps @ 5 volts (10 watts.) USB 2.0 calls for only 0.5 amps @ 5 volts (2.5 watts.) The iPad will only charge while in sleep mode when plugged into normal USB 2.0 ports.

The iPhone charger outputs 1 amp @ 5 volts (5 watts) and this can charge the iPad but it would take twice as long to charge.

Old memories...

One of my favorite episodes is the war between two aliens, twist is the ones that look "normal" are the bad ones....."The Golden Man"

As for the Hard drive power, I don't know about compliance, but whatever you want to say about it Dish does say you need an external power source. If it works without it and no damage is done to the port or drive, great. Since I bought EHD's with an external power source, I'll use it and be safer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)